• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

@Tech: the switching of offers after a revert has already happened, at least a pair of times IIRC, and I do think it’s allowed by the rules as they were last modified.

It was clear that you werent’t talking about Shadow, and also the previous time it has happened to add some movement, I don’t think it’s donkey-able, it would just bring the thread to a grinding halt, and in the end the potential donkey would be forcedly ashamed. (:

@Firespitter: Your offers were just fine, you should stop offering that darn fine Hellboy run otherwise sooner or later I might pick it, and I really should not – rather I have to sell my Hellboy collection! :ohnoez:

@Firespitter: Your offers were just fine, you should stop offering that darn fine Hellboy run otherwise sooner or later I might pick it, and I really should not – rather I have to sell my Hellboy collection! :ohnoez:

PM me your address and you can have it for RAK.

I'm trying to cut down on my box of dupes.

-Terry

@Tech: the switching of offers after a revert has already happened, at least a pair of times IIRC, and I do think it’s allowed by the rules as they were last modified.

It was clear that you werent’t talking about Shadow, and also the previous time it has happened to add some movement, I don’t think it’s donkey-able, it would just bring the thread to a grinding halt, and in the end the potential donkey would be forcedly ashamed. (:

Don't see anywhere in the rules that state it one way or another.

Where do you see this at? I see nothing addressing that.

This is my personal opinion on reverted offers and how they should be handled to keep things as clean as possible. A reverted offer should revert to whatever the offer was and anytime after that the poster can update it with new listings if he wants.

The reason why I think it may be important to let it revert to the exact offer is so that if it expires at 11:58 then someone can claim it at that time. If the person offering it says they will update it with new offers and not to claim the old, there is nothing saying when they have to update it. Update it in an hour or update it sometime this week? I am all for them being allowed to update it anytime after that point and if they pull a donkey move then so be it. There will be plenty of people waiting to call them out on it.

Edit: If for some reason the previous offer does not still have the items then at least the item that was claimed and on hold before being reverted should go back up until offers are updated.

You’re right, I went by memory, but it wasn’t actually added to the rules, some people just talked about it as we were going… :)

@Firespitter: That is very generous of you, and I would gladly accept, but I am striving to make space myself, so I think I will end up selling my Hellboys.

I was just curious to see how Mignola handled the Hell issues as it did not appear to be a mere "theme" from the beginning of the series. I saw it has some reference to Charles Dickens too…

OK I am going to try and not muddy up the thread and post here. I know no one likes to talk about the elephant in the room but come on. Does anyone even think that is Paying It Forward? If I am wrong please tell me, I have no problem being wrong.

I also have no problem if I ever post something suspect of not Paying It Forward to please call me on it.

I know things ebb and flow but (shrug)

If the lower-# Rais were in a slab, there'd be no complaints. Raw?

Why not throw a Turok #1 in there as well...

(:

-slym

If there was ever a time when I was unhappy that I missed a PIF it was this one. Missed it by a few hours, which was taken up because I was traveling to different verizon stores. :pullhair: Hopefully things will revert. :wishluck:

(:

If there was ever a time when I was unhappy that I missed a PIF it was this one. Hopefully things will revert. :wishluck:

Looks like they just might have.

:eek:

-slym

(:

-slym

I think if they were all 9.8 candidates and so were the ASM's and it was combined...we might be about right.

I think that there should be a rule that if ANYONE doesn't like the free comics you're offering; then you must go buy some more comics that you are willing to give me for free (I'd prefer something vhtf in the $80+ range DC/Marvel key arena).

I think that would solve the problem completely. Putting up non-keys and $40 slabs are like offering half-eaten cheeseburgers to a homeless person.

-T

This is why I don't participate anymore. I thought that the PIF was started so that we could exchange some cool stuff that we may be interested in adding to our collections. I don't have slabs, OA, or $80+ keys to be giving up. I have tried to get somethings that I would like to own, but it seems that what I would offer up wasn't on those registries. I wasn't offering junk, but I guess is didn't have quite the high enough value. As long as that is what people are looking for then the PIF will never reach the heights that it has potential for. I think to many people have been run off of that thread because to many people ONLY want what the deem quality enough. There is a lot more I could be offering to these boards, but things like this has caused me to offer them elsewhere.

We need a new PIF thread. Somewhere I could say "The first person that PMs me their address, and you aren't on my personal mess-list, I will send you something. If you don't like it, send it back to me (although I won't send anything else back to you) or you can PIF to someone else."

hm

-slym

Don't need a thread to do that. Just pick someone and send them something and explain the rules of your PIF.

This is why a few months ago I held a thread where I was just offering up things for free to people who just wanted some cool things. I think I am going to do it again.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=364318&Number=8245490#Post8245490

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=364328&Number=8245778#Post8245778

I never know how to explain the way I see the PIF. I don't expect people to take a very popular set of TPB and offer what looks like a couple of comics dug from the bottom of the $1 bins in the spirit of the thread. If I take a book and offer something up I don't expect the next person to match or exceed the offer but at least make a consorted effort to try to post something that is wanted by someone else. I don't always see a lot of what is offered as interesting to me ( I would not have taken the WD tpb, no interest at all) but will not fault anyone who gives it there best and can take criticism when deserved. jmho

I never know how to explain the way I see the PIF. I don't expect people to take a very popular set of TPB and offer what looks like a couple of comics dug from the bottom of the $1 bins in the spirit of the thread. If I take a book and offer something up I don't expect the next person to match or exceed the offer but at least make a consorted effort to try to post something that is wanted by someone else. I don't always see a lot of what is offered as interesting to me ( I would not have taken the WD tpb, no interest at all) but will not fault anyone who gives it there best and can take criticism when deserved. jmho

I think this comes heavily into play.

I have no interest in WD either, and call me naive if you will, but I didn't really see a value difference between the WD TPBs and the Valiant option (I'm also not interested in Valiant but I'm aware their value is increasing due to movie speculation). As far as I know, Rai is a popular Valiant character and probably set for a movie in that speculation news. I understand the popularity of WD but was there really a value difference? Did Ducky know this difference?

Granted, I'm assuming he did given his post history that Hokie pointed out, but could this one time be an exception?

Here is the deal. We can all say value should not play a factor but in some ways it does. When I pick something I always look at the value and try to come up with something of equal value. I generally try to offer something in a range of value from below to above to give the next participant options. I don't NOT expect someone to match my offers but don't expect to give away a $200 piece of OA and have the person offer $10 worth of Drek either.

It is not that hard to take a few seconds which I just did to see the WD TPB lot is worth around $100 +/- and the RAI book which if you look at the corner of #1 looked pretty rough that lot is worth $20 +/- on a good day. If it had been one of a bunch of options he would have been fine. He threw it up like it was gold and then came back with a second option I pass up on constantly thats a couple of bucks.

If I want to truly Pay It Forward I will just send someone a book because I want to not because I am participating in this thread.

Here is the deal. We can all say value should not play a factor but in some ways it does. When I pick something I always look at the value and try to come up with something of equal value. I generally try to offer something in a range of value from below to above to give the next participant options. I don't NOT expect someone to match my offers but don't expect to give away a $200 piece of OA and have the person offer $10 worth of Drek either.

It is not that hard to take a few seconds which I just did to see the WD TPB lot is worth around $100 +/- and the RAI book which if you look at the corner of #1 looked pretty rough that lot is worth $20 +/- on a good day. If it had been one of a bunch of options he would have been fine. He threw it up like it was gold and then came back with a second option I pass up on constantly thats a couple of bucks.

If I want to truly Pay It Forward I will just send someone a book because I want to not because I am participating in this thread.

Shadow doesn't just say this, he actually practices it. He offered to send me a Spiderman print he knows I like in one of his awesome frame jobs with nothing expected in return. I didn't take him up on the offer mainly because I feel that he does more than enough around here.

I thought the value seemed majorly below what was taken. WD 1-10 tpbs is a great offer. I think it is around the first 66 issues of an incredible series. A great way for someone who has not read it yet to have hours of enjoyment.