• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Here is the deal. We can all say value should not play a factor but in some ways it does. When I pick something I always look at the value and try to come up with something of equal value. I generally try to offer something in a range of value from below to above to give the next participant options. I don't NOT expect someone to match my offers but don't expect to give away a $200 piece of OA and have the person offer $10 worth of Drek either.

It is not that hard to take a few seconds which I just did to see the WD TPB lot is worth around $100 +/- and the RAI book which if you look at the corner of #1 looked pretty rough that lot is worth $20 +/- on a good day. If it had been one of a bunch of options he would have been fine. He threw it up like it was gold and then came back with a second option I pass up on constantly thats a couple of bucks.

If I want to truly Pay It Forward I will just send someone a book because I want to not because I am participating in this thread.

This should be the true nature of a PiF thread. What if we tried to start a thread made completely of RAKs? Granted, there would need to be some rules in place to prevent manipulation and abuse, but I believe we can all come to an agreement and consensus over those rules. But the thread would be of people just giving, expecting nothing in return. No judgement of value, no expectations.

For rules, I'd recommend some stuff we have already seen. You must meet qualifications. Must be a member with a good community track record for a certain period of time, must have a certain number of posts not easily attainable with filler "no nonsense" post boosters, must participate in a charity thread, must give away a certain number of RAKs before claiming a RAK. And of course, you can only claim a certain number of RAKs within a given time period.

I believe the RAKs were the best thing from TGT thread and if more people were encouraged to just give, it might be more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

No new threads, no new rules, nothing will prevent abusers from being abusers. As stated before, even with the RAKS in TGT, there were people who tried to claim 2 or 3 in the same day, sometimes back to back. With every rule made there will be a loophole.

Why don't the "regulars" just continue pushing RAKs in either PIF or bump TGT and keep a list and be sure to check it twice. It can be a public list or even just a private list - then you can figure out who is being naughty or nice. vemd93.gif

All it takes is someone to track it. Whether it's an individual or the "Giving Back Community" (GBC). All you need to monitor is making sure a greedy little donkey isn't repeatedly :takeit: on every RAK offered.

And the most important thing is always giving the person offering up a RAK the ability to just say "No" to a potential claimer or adding a condition to a RAK such as a recent community charitable contribution.

Here is the deal. We can all say value should not play a factor but in some ways it does. When I pick something I always look at the value and try to come up with something of equal value. I generally try to offer something in a range of value from below to above to give the next participant options. I don't NOT expect someone to match my offers but don't expect to give away a $200 piece of OA and have the person offer $10 worth of Drek either.

It is not that hard to take a few seconds which I just did to see the WD TPB lot is worth around $100 +/- and the RAI book which if you look at the corner of #1 looked pretty rough that lot is worth $20 +/- on a good day. If it had been one of a bunch of options he would have been fine. He threw it up like it was gold and then came back with a second option I pass up on constantly thats a couple of bucks.

If I want to truly Pay It Forward I will just send someone a book because I want to not because I am participating in this thread.

:golfclap: Exactly. When I took the Cap Omnibus (which arrived, thank you, Shadow!) I quickly checked to see the price it was going for recently and tried to offer some Original Art that cost me in the comparable price range, or a couple of slabs together that got close.

It's not hard, everyone should consider what they are taking and try to offer up something either as close to comparable in value as possible, or if that's not possible, then offer up something unique or get creative with your offer. Reaching into your discarded pile of readers doesn't cut it.

I never know how to explain the way I see the PIF. I don't expect people to take a very popular set of TPB and offer what looks like a couple of comics dug from the bottom of the $1 bins in the spirit of the thread. If I take a book and offer something up I don't expect the next person to match or exceed the offer but at least make a consorted effort to try to post something that is wanted by someone else. I don't always see a lot of what is offered as interesting to me ( I would not have taken the WD tpb, no interest at all) but will not fault anyone who gives it there best and can take criticism when deserved. jmho

I think this comes heavily into play.

I have no interest in WD either, and call me naive if you will, but I didn't really see a value difference between the WD TPBs and the Valiant option (I'm also not interested in Valiant but I'm aware their value is increasing due to movie speculation). As far as I know, Rai is a popular Valiant character and probably set for a movie in that speculation news. I understand the popularity of WD but was there really a value difference? Did Ducky know this difference?

Granted, I'm assuming he did given his post history that Hokie pointed out, but could this one time be an exception?

I can't belive I'm saying this, but im kinda agreeing with Meeklo on this.

Everybody seems to be saying there were a huge difference in price between the offers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-Trade-Paperbacks-Volumes-1-thru-10-/281640679890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419317b9d2&nma=true&si=SR6kNX8XSk2MITLGLqQqHHgWDiM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Although I think the WD set was a good offer and the Valiant a little low on effort, the price isn't that different between the two.

I never know how to explain the way I see the PIF. I don't expect people to take a very popular set of TPB and offer what looks like a couple of comics dug from the bottom of the $1 bins in the spirit of the thread. If I take a book and offer something up I don't expect the next person to match or exceed the offer but at least make a consorted effort to try to post something that is wanted by someone else. I don't always see a lot of what is offered as interesting to me ( I would not have taken the WD tpb, no interest at all) but will not fault anyone who gives it there best and can take criticism when deserved. jmho

I have no interest in WD either, and call me naive if you will, but I didn't really see a value difference between the WD TPBs and the Valiant option (I'm also not interested in Valiant but I'm aware their value is increasing due to movie speculation). As far as I know, Rai is a popular Valiant character and probably set for a movie in that speculation news. I understand the popularity of WD but was there really a value difference? Did Ducky know this difference?

Granted, I'm assuming he did given his post history that Hokie pointed out, but could this one time be an exception?

Everybody seems to be saying there were a huge difference in price between the offers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-Trade-Paperbacks-Volumes-1-thru-10-/281640679890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419317b9d2&nma=true&si=SR6kNX8XSk2MITLGLqQqHHgWDiM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Although I think the WD set was a good offer and the Valiant a little low on effort, the price isn't that different between the two.

That's where the 'Perceived value' comes into play.

10 trades from the most popular series in a long time seems like a valuable offer, a few Valiant books may not, though they may have the exact dollars and cents value.

Why do people always go look for the cheapest ended action to make a point?

This should be the true nature of a PiF thread. What if we tried to start a thread made completely of RAKs? Granted, there would need to be some rules in place to prevent manipulation and abuse, but I believe we can all come to an agreement and consensus over those rules. But the thread would be of people just giving, expecting nothing in return. No judgement of value, no expectations.

For rules, I'd recommend some stuff we have already seen. You must meet qualifications. Must be a member with a good community track record for a certain period of time, must have a certain number of posts not easily attainable with filler "no nonsense" post boosters, must participate in a charity thread, must give away a certain number of RAKs before claiming a RAK. And of course, you can only claim a certain number of RAKs within a given time period.

I believe the RAKs were the best thing from TGT thread and if more people were encouraged to just give, it might be more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

I am not necessarily all for another thread but will support it if you want to make a go of it. Will even make the first RAK. That being said I would rather just start send people stuff when I see a reason to behind the scenes at for go all the drama.

When I go to Epay and type in walking dead tpb 1-10 under sold listing the two that come up are $128 and $67. Were as if you look at RAI 1 and magnus 5, they come up as $5-$10 books each NM which those clearly were not.

I wish he would have taken the criticism and try to offer up something realist but instead he reacted like he did. Then when I looked at his posts I can not say I think it would have gone any other way. jmho

When I go to Epay and type in walking dead tpb 1-10 under sold listing the two that come up are $128 and $67. Were as if you look at RAI 1 and magnus 5, they come up as $5-$10 books each NM which those clearly were not.

I wish he would have taken the criticism and try to offer up something realist but instead he reacted like he did. Then when I looked at his posts I can not say I think it would have gone any other way. jmho

The criticism was not offered up in a very constructive manor. I thought his spoon you comment was completely in line with the comments directed at him. Truthfully, the Walking Dead set can be had for $50 or less if you are not in a hurry. The Rai books are heating up & while low, didn't deserve the bashing & snide comments he got. All that said, he does appear to have a history.

The group watching over the Pay It Forward thread are their own worst enemies.

The thread is entertaining to read, I would just never participate.

The fact that at the end of my initial offer I stated "if there is no interest in these I would change it" and that it had only been up for 6 hours I guess is not good enough for the regular PIF participants and self proclaimed non-participants, the negativity in that thread is astounding. According to modern comics in this site Valiant and Rai are moving well and I wanted to give someone the change to get them. I offered the ASM because I know CA Hokie is a black cat fan although the I figured he already had them. I offered the Batman 217 because I know Shadow is a batman fan. Due to the negativity perpetuated in the thread I resinded my offer. Not 12 hours in there was people hoping the offer would revert, stating the offer was garbage, stating the thread was stalled for 4 days, people commenting on my posting habits (clipping just a section that made the poster look like he found out something I was hiding) and referring to me as a junk donkey. My previous offers did well enough, my last claim was in December, so it's not like I was stalking the there waiting for an OA high end books or to purposely derail the thread. I wanted the Walking Dead TPB's cause I am a fan of the show and my wife also wanted to read them. After I finished them I was going to offer them as a RAK Because I had taken a RAK from TGT and have not yet offered one. But I am the here. I will be around if someone has more comments, my PM works too