• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

The fact that at the end of my initial offer I stated "if there is no interest in these I would change it" and that it had only been up for 6 hours I guess is not good enough for the regular PIF participants and self proclaimed non-participants, the negativity in that thread is astounding. According to modern comics in this site Valiant and Rai are moving well and I wanted to give someone the change to get them. I offered the ASM because I know CA Hokie is a black cat fan although the I figured he already had them. I offered the Batman 217 because I know Shadow is a batman fan. Due to the negativity perpetuated in the thread I resinded my offer. Not 12 hours in there was people hoping the offer would revert, stating the offer was garbage, stating the thread was stalled for 4 days, people commenting on my posting habits (clipping just a section that made the poster look like he found out something I was hiding) and referring to me as a junk donkey. My previous offers did well enough, my last claim was in December, so it's not like I was stalking the there waiting for an OA high end books or to purposely derail the thread. I wanted the Walking Dead TPB's cause I am a fan of the show and my wife also wanted to read them. After I finished them I was going to offer them as a RAK Because I had taken a RAK from TGT and have not yet offered one. But I am the here. I will be around if someone has more comments, my PM works too

*spoon* you, I resind (sic) my offer!

-slym

I never know how to explain the way I see the PIF. I don't expect people to take a very popular set of TPB and offer what looks like a couple of comics dug from the bottom of the $1 bins in the spirit of the thread. If I take a book and offer something up I don't expect the next person to match or exceed the offer but at least make a consorted effort to try to post something that is wanted by someone else. I don't always see a lot of what is offered as interesting to me ( I would not have taken the WD tpb, no interest at all) but will not fault anyone who gives it there best and can take criticism when deserved. jmho

I think this comes heavily into play.

I have no interest in WD either, and call me naive if you will, but I didn't really see a value difference between the WD TPBs and the Valiant option (I'm also not interested in Valiant but I'm aware their value is increasing due to movie speculation). As far as I know, Rai is a popular Valiant character and probably set for a movie in that speculation news. I understand the popularity of WD but was there really a value difference? Did Ducky know this difference?

Granted, I'm assuming he did given his post history that Hokie pointed out, but could this one time be an exception?

I'm sorry for stepping in,because I really have no say.

However,Why are you guys stuck on value or cost of the item? If someone puts something up and you dig it,go for it. If not move on! If a guy gets a PIF gift worth xx dollars,should they have to make an equal offer,or just put something up that maybe someone would like to read? I think you guys are making this thing too damn complicated,just my opinion mind you.

The only time anyone on the face of the planet should look at the "value" of something is when they ARE PAYING FOR IT.

Free states that there IS NO VALUE OR PRICE TAG.

I don't participate in the PIF because I know for a certainty that no one wants anything I have to offer or they already have it. Glad there is a thread now for just giving what you DO have away and probably some heathen will btch about that too.

I am still adding things. I would like to get the WD TPBs and would like to thing that I am offering enough decent stuff. I dunno, the way everyone is talking I feel like maybe I should just PM Toro about his offer because it seems like both threads are going to die.

The only time anyone on the face of the planet should look at the "value" of something is when they ARE PAYING FOR IT.

I don't participate in the PIF because I know for a certainty that no one wants anything I have to offer or they already have it. Glad there is a thread now for just giving what you DO have away and probably some heathen will btch about that too.

people just have a natural negative reaction to folks that will game a feel good thread for personal gain , they will grab a sweet item or a unique item or high dollar value item and drop a runny deuce of worthless junk right thereafter.

Silence is how they get away with it. One broken window in a neighborhood , left unattended , becomes 100.

people just have a natural negative reaction to folks that will game a feel good thread for personal gain , they will grab a sweet item or a unique item or high dollar value item and drop a runny deuce of worthless junk right thereafter.

Silence is how they get away with it. One broken window in a neighborhood , left unattended , becomes 100.

I love your analogies. :luhv::D

I love your analogies. :luhv::D

+1, nice

Why would both threads die? ???

It is just a hunch no one has claimed the RAK or PIF yet. My whole this is this. We are all giving away things, whether it is PIF or RAK and there is some inherent value in it.

The thing that has turned a lot of people off from doing PIF is because when people post donkey then they get called out for it. The rules within the PIF system make it so that if is offered then it will revert back. However, the mentality on the boards for PIF is that we need to draw attention to it, poke fun at it, or just call them out on it. Some people are not giving support when it could be given. Someone could say, "Hey I don't think that's going to to be picked up how about finding more stuff or consider combining offers" The worst that can happen is that it reverts back. I was pretty confident that what ducky was offering so far meant that things would revert back anyways and I was content on waiting. After his explosion I tried to take the offer, which I thankfully got. If it does revert back then it just means that what I offered might not be what anyone else wants and would be considered donkey. Personally I don't mind trying to see if I can get what I chose. I can only hope that either someone wants it or takes pity on me and takes my offer.

The biggest problems is that some people seem abrasive when new offers come up when they should either give a few hints or just let nature take its course and things will revert. Yeah it can slow things down but comic collecting is fun but it takes patience to find what you want.

I still hope that my 4th world stuff as well as my comic strip stuff will entice people.

People have been having these sometimes heated discussions and calling out junk donkeys for years! Hasn't stopped the thread(s) yet. (shrug)

I'll take your word on it. I am still a newb compared to many people here. I guess the one thing that I think should be conveyed is either help them or just let it revert. I am not sure why a donkey offering would offend so many people other than it could waste time until it reverts.

You guys should be careful. I heard from a friend of my friends cousin that if you read X-Force 1 and say donkey 3 times, Branget shows up at your house

Why would both threads die? ???

It is just a hunch no one has claimed the RAK or PIF yet. My whole this is this. We are all giving away things, whether it is PIF or RAK and there is some inherent value in it.

The thing that has turned a lot of people off from doing PIF is because when people post donkey then they get called out for it. The rules within the PIF system make it so that if is offered then it will revert back. However, the mentality on the boards for PIF is that we need to draw attention to it, poke fun at it, or just call them out on it. Some people are not giving support when it could be given. Someone could say, "Hey I don't think that's going to to be picked up how about finding more stuff or consider combining offers" The worst that can happen is that it reverts back. I was pretty confident that what ducky was offering so far meant that things would revert back anyways and I was content on waiting. After his explosion I tried to take the offer, which I thankfully got. If it does revert back then it just means that what I offered might not be what anyone else wants and would be considered donkey. Personally I don't mind trying to see if I can get what I chose. I can only hope that either someone wants it or takes pity on me and takes my offer.

The biggest problems is that some people seem abrasive when new offers come up when they should either give a few hints or just let nature take its course and things will revert. Yeah it can slow things down but comic collecting is fun but it takes patience to find what you want.

I still hope that my 4th world stuff as well as my comic strip stuff will entice people.

The only people that ever say the thread is dying are people who are having a tough time getting an offer accepted. if the worse thing that can happen is an offer reverts then why does almost everyone complain about the thread being broken when it looks like their offer will revert?

People have been having these sometimes heated discussions and calling out junk donkeys for years! Hasn't stopped the thread(s) yet. (shrug)

I'll take your word on it. I am still a newb compared to many people here. I guess the one thing that I think should be conveyed is either help them or just let it revert. I am not sure why a donkey offering would offend so many people other than it could waste time until it reverts.

Because donkeys have joined forces in the past to get an offer pushed thru and then the thread stalls. People have tried to sit quietly and let the thread rules work but it has resulted in donkeys working hard to get around the rules.

I have never understood why when someone's offer isn't claimed they proclaim that the thread is dead or it is finally the end. Yet a few days earlier it was on fire and obviously not dead at all. Do you really think if someone claimed the run of WD and followed it up with the run of Preacher or YTLM or even Fables it would still be sitting there? Of course not.

To answer the questions above for those asking about who cares about value all I can say is that it is about fairness and not turning a blind eye when someone is trying to take advantage of something. Very few people get called out on a bad offer. What the casual viewers don't know is that it is a slow build up and that by the time someone gets called out harshly it is usually their fifth or sixth offense (if not more) and a pattern that people get tired of.