• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age on the forum
1 1

356 posts in this topic

This comic or actually 2 comics are starting to bug me. I checked Ebay and found out very little, other than no one is selling the 1994 issue of Superman 0 The Beginnings of Tomorrow signed by Brett Breeding. The book was packaged by Toys'r'US, but I bought it at a flea market in the late 90's. In addition to Superman 0, the book visible on the back of the package is Detective Comics #660, which appears to be part of a 4 issue Knightfall subset. If anyone has an idea of what this set is worth, or if it's rare to still be in it's original package I would be interested to know. 

Superman_0_frnt.JPG

Superman_0_back.JPG

Superman_0_back_COA.JPG

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 1/20/2023 at 10:40 PM, frozentundraguy said:

This comic or actually 4 comics are starting to bug me. I checked Ebay and found out very little, other than no one is selling the 1994 issue of Superman 0 The Beginnings of Tomorrow signed by Brett Breeding. The book was packaged by Toys'r'US, but I bought it an a flea market in the late 90's. In addition to Superman 0, the book visible on the back of the package is Detective Comics #660, which appears to be part of a 4 issue Knightfall subset. If anyone has an idea of what this set is worth, or if it's rare to still be in it's original package I would be interested to know. 

Superman_0_frnt.JPG

Superman_0_back.JPG

Superman_0_back_COA.JPG

That's pretty cool!!! I have no idea about the value but nice pick up there!

On 1/21/2023 at 7:58 PM, frozentundraguy said:

What really astounds me about the signed copy of Superman 0 The Beginning of Tomorrow, with a COA, is that there are/were 10,000 of them, but none for sale on Ebay at the moment.  (shrug)

you might want to try a regular thread to pose the question but idk, the only person that I can think who 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:40 PM, frozentundraguy said:

This comic or actually 2 comics are starting to bug me. I checked Ebay and found out very little, other than no one is selling the 1994 issue of Superman 0 The Beginnings of Tomorrow signed by Brett Breeding. The book was packaged by Toys'r'US, but I bought it an a flea market in the late 90's. In addition to Superman 0, the book visible on the back of the package is Detective Comics #660, which appears to be part of a 4 issue Knightfall subset. If anyone has an idea of what this set is worth, or if it's rare to still be in it's original package I would be interested to know. 

Superman_0_frnt.JPG

Superman_0_back.JPG

Superman_0_back_COA.JPG

anything might be @Iconic1s for the supes, or @Cpt Kirk for the certain type of packaging for sale, other than that I'm at a loss, but again, maybe they then know someone to tag lol I always forget about this thread to check it :cheers: 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:58 PM, frozentundraguy said:

What really astounds me about the signed copy of Superman 0 The Beginning of Tomorrow, with a COA, is that there are/were 10,000 of them, but none for sale on Ebay at the moment.  (shrug)

Obviously they've all been destroyed. That would certainly be the narrative from some people for other things they can't see on feeBay at the moment.

But seriously, that's just how it goes.

On 1/21/2023 at 9:14 PM, Lazyboy said:

Obviously they've all been destroyed. That would certainly be the narrative from some people for other things they can't see on feeBay at the moment.

But seriously, that's just how it goes.

Thinking about this it does make sense that most people would break the books out of the plastic sleeve to read the books. From what I can glean from Ebay the Superman 0 book is not exceptionally pricey with $25 being the highest priced book. On the other hand Detective Comics #660 in CGC 9.8 has listings between $57 and $150, not counting signature series which are much higher. I haven't opened this set in 20 some years, so I guess I can wait a few more days to see if cracking the books out is worth the gamble. lol

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 1/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

you might want to try a regular thread to pose the question but idk, the only person that I can think who 

anything might be @Iconic1s for the supes, or @Cpt Kirk for the certain type of packaging for sale, other than that I'm at a loss, but again, maybe they then know someone to tag lol I always forget about this thread to check it :cheers: 

Isnt this a regular thread?

On 1/21/2023 at 9:45 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Isnt this a regular thread?

Not sure. It's pinned so I thought it was about "copper forum rules" or something,  but I really meant like a superman or batman, or maybe even a similar type selling packaged titled thread. I thought it might help if it were closer to the topic of question you were asking, this being a more general thread imo.

But I guess you're right, I just thought it would make sense in a multipack thread, as the comics looked packaged that way. I guess I could have posted a link too. 

Hah nevermind and carry on lol

On 1/21/2023 at 9:37 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Thinking about this it does make sense that most people would break the books out of the plastic sleeve to read the books. From what I can glean from Ebay the Superman 0 book is not exceptionally pricey with $25 being the highest priced book. On the other hand Detective Comics #660 in CGC 9.8 has listings between $57 and $150, not counting signature series which are much higher. I haven't opened this set in 20 some years, so I guess I can wait a few more days to see if cracking the books out is worth the gamble. lol

I'm not going to say nobody did that, but at the original prices, and even the TRU inventory-dump blowout prices, it's not the most likely scenario. If you just wanted to read the issues, you could always easily get them a lot cheaper.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That’s really cool!  I have never ran across that pack in my collecting!  Wish I had though!

On 1/22/2023 at 9:06 AM, Iconic1s said:

That’s really cool!  I have never ran across that pack in my collecting!  Wish I had though!

Thanks. (thumbsu I've done a bit more research and found numerous books signed by Jurgen's and or Breeding from around the same period of time. Looks like it might be worth listing this sealed set after all. Those that include a COA in the listing are also by Dynamic Forces.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Thanks. (thumbsu I've done a bit more research and found numerous books signed by Jurgen's and or Breeding from around the same period of time. Looks like it might be worth listing this sealed set after all. Those that include a COA in the listing are also by Dynamic Forces.

Open some comic books from that era and look at the ads. You'll find lots of "limited edition" signed comics from various companies. And that's just what was advertised in comics, though that was probably a significant percentage. I'm sure they didn't sell out, especially at some of the prices they wanted, so a lot of them have probably been passed around various dealers (and non-comic retailers like TRU) since then, with many making their way to collections when the prices became reasonable enough. I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one person with a stockpile (hundreds or thousands of various issues) of these.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:40 PM, frozentundraguy said:

This comic or actually 2 comics are starting to bug me. I checked Ebay and found out very little, other than no one is selling the 1994 issue of Superman 0 The Beginnings of Tomorrow signed by Brett Breeding. The book was packaged by Toys'r'US, but I bought it at a flea market in the late 90's. In addition to Superman 0, the book visible on the back of the package is Detective Comics #660, which appears to be part of a 4 issue Knightfall subset. If anyone has an idea of what this set is worth, or if it's rare to still be in it's original package I would be interested to know. 

Superman_0_frnt.JPG

Superman_0_back.JPG

Superman_0_back_COA.JPG

On 1/22/2023 at 10:06 AM, Iconic1s said:

I love that you found that still in the package from Toys-R-Us.  I have never seen it, but I suspect someone would sell it from time to time on ebay.  I recall a friend of mine proudly showing me some of his signed Superman comic books from that era (with certs of authenticity).  He said he paid on the order of one hundred or more for some of those comic books and viewed those purchases as investments.  I recall thinking to myself "Those were probably not might not wise investments".   But who knows what they might go for on ebay.  And I think if I tried to guess what was a good investment I would be wrong approximately 95% of the time.   Out of 10,000 comic books I own (many worth thousands of dollars now and most being pretty worthless), I think I only ever bought one as an investment.  It was a CGC 9.6 Mile High copy of Action Comics #76.   Sure it gained a few thousand dollars in value when I sold it, but my wife quickly pointed out the rate of return on a S&P Index fund would have been much higher.   :tonofbricks: 

On 1/25/2023 at 6:39 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I love that you found that still in the package from Toys-R-Us.  I have never seen it, but I suspect someone would sell it from time to time on ebay.  I recall a friend of mine proudly showing me some of his signed Superman comic books from that era (with certs of authenticity).  He said he paid on the order of one hundred or more for some of those comic books and viewed those purchases as investments.  I recall thinking to myself "Those were probably not might not wise investments".   But who knows what they might go for on ebay.  And I think if I tried to guess what was a good investment I would be wrong approximately 95% of the time.   Out of 10,000 comic books I own (many worth thousands of dollars now and most being pretty worthless), I think I only ever bought one as an investment.  It was a CGC 9.6 Mile High copy of Action Comics #76.   Sure it gained a few thousand dollars in value when I sold it, but my wife quickly pointed out the rate of return on a S&P Index fund would have been much higher.   :tonofbricks: 

I recall checking for this book in the TRU package on Ebay probably 8 or more years ago and finding a few for sale. Right now there are no sellers with this packaging for Superman 0, so it should be worth the effort to list it. I just did a search for Breeding's signature with a 1994 comics and only found 3 for sale.  I have not bought many comics for investment, but when I have my profits have been quite modest. lol

On 1/25/2023 at 9:08 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I recall checking for this book in the TRU package on Ebay probably 8 or more years ago and finding a few for sale. Right now there are no sellers with this packaging for Superman 0, so it should be worth the effort to list it. I just did a search for Breeding's signature with a 1994 comics and only found 3 for sale.  I have not bought many comics for investment, but when I have my profits have been quite modest. lol

I put the book up on Ebay yesterday.