• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New USPS Delivery Confirmation for selected countries for First Class mail

8 posts in this topic

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y13/m07/i11/s01

One of the biggest challenges in shipping internationally is the inability of merchants to confirm when a package has been delivered unless they use expensive services. Online merchants who ship internationally using USPS are finally getting some good news. As promised, the USPS is expanding its Delivery Confirmation International Service to additional countries. Previously the service was only available to packages going to Canada, but effective July 28, 2013, it will be available to packages going to an additional 15 countries.

In January, the USPS renamed First-Class Mail International Parcel to First-Class Package International Service (FCPIS). It also added it to the Competitive mail class group, allowing it to raise rates at a higher rate than previously possible, giving sellers sticker shock.

Julia Wilkinson noted on the AuctionBytes Blog that it was a rate increase of 58.6% and said many eBay, Amazon and online sellers used First Class Mail International to send lighter-weight items (under 4 lbs).

The USPS said it would throw in free Delivery Confirmation for FCPIS, but has been slow to roll it out.

Beginning July 28, the USPS is adding free Electronic Delivery Confirmation to 15 additional countries for First Class Package International Service. Those countries are the following:

Australia

Belgium

Brazil

Croatia

Denmark

France

Germany

Great Britain

Ireland

Israel

Netherlands

New Zealand

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland.

Eric Nash, Director of Online Marketing for Stamps.com, said that since the UK and Australia will get free Delivery Confirmation (DC) as of July 28, ecommerce sellers should be very excited. And, he said, eBay sellers will now get free tracking posted back into eBay for free when using First Class Package International Service. "Based on what eBay did in January for the addition of Electronic Delivery Confirmation for First Class Package Intl. Service packages going to Canada, I think this tracking will qualify for eBay Seller Protection."

Nash noted that along with First Class Package International Service, the electronic DC was also being added for Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes and Small boxes as well.

Still, I will not ship internationally with any item on eBay.

I've had good luck shipping overseas, including quite a few slabs, raw books and even a saxophone to the Ukraine (!), but it always makes me nervous because of the horror stories I hear on this forum.

I wonder if using eBay's global shipping program is a way to alleviate that worry, because you actually ship it to eBay's domestic shipping site, and (I'm guessing - does anyone know?) your responsibility I would think ends at that point...

I've had good luck shipping overseas, including quite a few slabs, raw books and even a saxophone to the Ukraine (!), but it always makes me nervous because of the horror stories I hear on this forum.

I wonder if using eBay's global shipping program is a way to alleviate that worry, because you actually ship it to eBay's domestic shipping site, and (I'm guessing - does anyone know?) your responsibility I would think ends at that point...

That is correct. The downside is that the buyer may be in for a rude awakening when they receive an enormous bill for shipping directly from ebay. The buyer must pay for the shipping from the seller to ebay's shipping center and then the shipping from the center to the buyer. I am wondering if, when more awareness of the costs of ebay's global shipping program spreads amongst international buyers, they will start avoiding auctions that engage in the program.

get a collectibles insurance dealer policy. ill ship anywhere now.

That is correct. The downside is that the buyer may be in for a rude awakening when they receive an enormous bill for shipping directly from ebay. The buyer must pay for the shipping from the seller to ebay's shipping center and then the shipping from the center to the buyer. I am wondering if, when more awareness of the costs of ebay's global shipping program spreads amongst international buyers, they will start avoiding auctions that engage in the program.

I for one am already avoiding these auctions. As soon as I see the Import Fees line, I know they're in the Global shipping program and I ignore the auction altogether. Means I miss out on some stuff, but the costs are ridiculous.

I for one am already avoiding these auctions. As soon as I see the Import Fees line, I know they're in the Global shipping program and I ignore the auction altogether. Means I miss out on some stuff, but the costs are ridiculous.

Same here. The regular shipping costs are already high enough.