• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Xmen 1 (1963)

31 posts in this topic

Looks like some color fade, a lower spine crunch, quite a bit of spine wear, and a half inch+ tear on the right FC next to the green box that I wouldn't include with the chipping IMHO

That is pre marvel chipping on the right side of the green box. 4.5? Way too strict. CGC does hit a book for pre marvel and chipping. A press/dry clean should def lock a 6.0 with an outside shot at 6.5, considering the interior is clean of course.

5.0/5.5

Scanner looks like it washed out a bit of the color, so it's giving me a bit of a hard time grading it.

You have marvel chipping and pre marvel chipping on the side, but you have what looks like a chip that turned in to a tear below the N in X-Men. It also looks like there's some slight fraying to the top cover. The back cover looks clean and fairly tight. I'd lean 5.5.

Looks like some color fade, a lower spine crunch, quite a bit of spine wear, and a half inch+ tear on the right FC next to the green box that I wouldn't include with the chipping IMHO

That is pre marvel chipping on the right side of the green box. 4.5? Way too strict. CGC does hit a book for pre marvel and chipping. A press/dry clean should def lock a 6.0 with an outside shot at 6.5, considering the interior is clean of course.

Without the chipping the book looks to be around a 6.5, though white covers are tougher than most to grade via scan. While there seems to be general agreement that CGC is easier on Marvel chipping than pieces missing otherwise, like most here I have a hard time figuring just how they factor it into grade. For me the book would be a 4.0/4.5, which is why I would slab it if I were going to sell it.

I have a question. So to me and my monitor the scanner makes this cover look more "white" than it seems to me in real life. In real life the "white cover" appears cream or tan to me. I tried to doctor the scan to show what i feel it looks like to the naked eye. Ive noticed this with other pictures though, where the white does not seem as white in hand. Is this normal? Does cgc ding for tanning on the cover or accepted for the age of the comic? I know that even if i doctor the pic people have different monitor settings but i cant be the only one to have experienced this issue.

thanks for any input as always!

f3fc9d49-74db-4059-b7f6-d16c89c2bb97_zps685fe537.jpg

vs original straight scan

xmen1f_zps06a602e4.jpg

It doesn’t look like tanning: it’s just yellowed paper.

As much unpleasant one may find more darker, yellowed paper, unless there is brittleness I don’t think it’s taken much into account.

My scanner usually makes images darker: it’s almost surely the scanner hardware.