• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Xmen 1 (1963)

31 posts in this topic

Yes, probably yellowed paper is a more appropriate description. So then do we just accept that for white, scans may not translate to the naked eye? Ive never seen a CGC xmen 1 in hand so maybe they all look this yellow simply due to age. (except the super 9.0+ or something)

Marvel apparently used different paper stocks for the covers in the 1960s and 1970s. Paper on the early Fantastic Four, for example, tends to yellow a lot. I have still to find a nice white #67, and I have picked various.

But I do have an issue in the #70s or #80s which has a cover white as new, so it can’t be just how and where the book has been stored: paper must have been whiter since the beginning, and very likely quality of paper drastically improved in the mid-to-late 1960s (early bronze books have great paper and great printing quality of the insides).

Yeah the yellowing is definitely a distraction....And i can see it would make buying online risky.

But mostly it does not affect CGC grading at all, especially considered that if it’s on one copy, very likely it’s on the majority of them, as it depends on paper quality as well.

It’s also a preference: more annoying on the white covers, but some people don’t mind. This cover, for example, looks pretty white for a FF issue in the #60s:

vLC1w7eh.jpg

Thanks all! Probably gonna end up grading it. Who knows how long that will take. That being said i figured if you are interested i could contribute to our collective wisdom by at least following up and letting everyone know what the grade was. If thats not done here then i wont tho. Thanks!