• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Force #1 Gold Second Print is NOT the 2nd App. of Deadpool

25 posts in this topic

The "Cable Guide" that everyone keeps referring to is in the FIRST printing. The second printing does not contain any additional or different material. Why anyone would come up with such an idea, when it's a fairly easy thing to check, I do not know. Indies like Adventurers #1 may have included new material in their reprints, but Marvel certainly did not.

And....to add MORE fuel to the fire, 1/5 the print run of X-Force #1 included the Deadpool CARD.

People can argue about Previews and ads all they want, but these two things are actual, published editorial material (meaning the "not ad" part of a publication, part of the creative work of a publication, intended not to advertise something else, but to stand on its own as creative, new product.)

Cameo appearances they certainly are, but they ARE the actual (non-ad) second appearances of Deadpool, just like Spidey #134.

Do I have to unpolybag one of these, are you saying he's in a story in X-Force 1? What have I been hoarding X-Force 2s for? (I'll also buy the X-Forcre 1s with the Deadpool card when cheap)

Otherwise like...isn't Johny Storm reading a Hulk comic in FF 5 or 7 or something?

The real winner is the guy who ordered 100 of the Deadpool edition "X-Force Card Shirts" that you could order from the second "trading card" inserted in X-F #1.

Also, I can't tell if the "Cable Guide" is an appearance or not. I want to agree with RMA as much as I want to disagree with him over this. Forget the Deadpool card as only 20% of the issues came with that - the appearance in that guide makes a damn strong argument that XF2 is not the second app. of Deadpool, but the third.

:shrug:

-slym (is conflicted)

Do I have to unpolybag one of these, are you saying he's in a story in X-Force 1? What have I been hoarding X-Force 2s for? (I'll also buy the X-Forcre 1s with the Deadpool card when cheap)

Otherwise like...isn't Johny Storm reading a Hulk comic in FF 5 or 7 or something?

Much like Amazing Spiderman #129, 134, and 135, Deadpool appears first in New Mutants #98. Then, he appears again in a one panel story, written from Cable's perspective, in X-Force #1. One panel, cameo appearance, in a story. Then, he appears next in X-Force #2.

First app - NM #98 (no one disputes this, thankfully.)

Second app (brief cameo) - X-Force #1 (first AND second print)

Second app (FULL) - X-Force #2.

Easy cheesy.

Much like Amazing Spiderman #129, 134, and 135, Deadpool appears first in New Mutants #98. Then, he appears again in a one panel story, written from Cable's perspective, in X-Force #1. One panel, cameo appearance, in a story. Then, he appears next in X-Force #2.

First app - NM #98 (no one disputes this, thankfully.)

Second app (brief cameo) - X-Force #1 (first AND second print)

Second app (FULL) - X-Force #2.

Easy cheesy.

So what's the first "funny" Deadpool?

DP was always a wise-cracking fool when fighting, much like Spider-Man.

To me, DP hit his full on funny stride when Gail Simone started writing him.

-slym

The "full on funny stride" definitely started with Joe Kelly. It wasn't just "a wise-cracking fool, much like Spider-Man". The book was, at times, borderline superhero parody and at the very least a superhero comedy (with some dramatic elements thrown in from time to time).

For example, the titles for the first three issues are:

#1 "Hey It's Deadpool (or... Deadpool #1)"

#2 "Operation: Fat Wacky Doctor's Game"

#3 "Stumped! (Or This Little Piggy Went... Hey! Where's The Piggy"

If these titles don't scream "full on funny", then I don't know what does. :sumo:

Later on, and after Kelly had left, the laughs were dialed down a bit, until Simone arrived and she took the title back to funnyland.

Oh, and about this thread's topic, I think it's a bit tricky but RMA is probably right. For those who have never read X-Force #1, right after the main story, there are four pages of the "Cable Guide", which are intended as a look into Cable's private files for various characters (namely Deadpool, Feral, Shatterstar and G.W. Bridge). One page per character, with a single picture and a short essay (written by Cable) describing them.

Cable_Guide_Deadpool.jpg

It may not really be a "story" in the traditional sense, but it's definitely editorial content and not an ad/promo piece. Semantics aside, it's part of the overall storytelling and canon of the first X-Force issues and so it should count as an actual appearance (albeit a cameo one).

:rulez:

DP was always a wise-cracking fool when fighting, much like Spider-Man.

To me, DP hit his full on funny stride when Gail Simone started writing him.

-slym

The "full on funny stride" definitely started with Joe Kelly. It wasn't just "a wise-cracking fool, much like Spider-Man". The book was, at times, borderline superhero parody and at the very least a superhero comedy (with some dramatic elements thrown in from time to time).

For example, the titles for the first three issues are:

#1 "Hey It's Deadpool (or... Deadpool #1)"

#2 "Operation: Fat Wacky Doctor's Game"

#3 "Stumped! (Or This Little Piggy Went... Hey! Where's The Piggy"

If these titles don't scream "full on funny", then I don't know what does. :sumo:

Later on, and after Kelly had left, the laughs were dialed down a bit, until Simone arrived and she took the title back to funnyland.

Thanks. While I've never read a Deadpool comic, I thought the blaxploitation cover to #13 and the Killustrated covers were interesting, and with what I've read about the character, it's the slapstick 4th wall breaking take on him that has contributed mightily to his current popularity. Given the residual hostility towards anything Liefeld in much of the collector community, I was wondering if for some if the "funny" Deadpool is where they start their collection, especially if without that aspect of the character he could easily have ended up a half-forgotten c-lister from the chromium age.