• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World, Minneapolis Comic Con, May 2-4, 2014

43 posts in this topic

After initially deciding not to go, I just picked up tickets for Friday. Amazon Local was running a half price sale for Friday tickets, and Sunday VIP tickets.

My daughter kept asking me if we were going and I kept telling her that the ticket prices were too high. She has a half day of school on Friday for some teacher in-service thing. That coupled with the ticket deal tipped the scales.

I'm still going to SpringCon though. Always support the local show.

Brief report.

My daughter and I went on Friday. We scored half price Friday-only tickets through an Amazon Local deal. We got there around 2:30. The line to get in was really long, but we were in the door by 3:10. Once they opened the Con the line went in quick. That was nice.

This was the first non-local con I've attended. I was disappointed in the small number of comics only dealers. Most of the vendors seemed to have grey market posters/prints/t-shirts. Lots of them.

Comics wise, I didn't buy a single vintage comic. I don't buy slabs and the stuff that was there I either wasn't interested in, or it was priced way out of my budget. My wantlist is mostly late 70s DC, Archie, Harvey, plus Disney stuff. The comics seemed to be mostly Marvel.

I picked up a couple of trades and hardcovers at a 50% off booth. I also spent some some dough at the Doctor Who store's booth. Picked up a autographed photo of Paul McGann (Doctor #8 - my fave).

My daughter ended up getting the most stuff. Posters and prints from Artist Alley for the most part. She's really into art, so she enjoyed that part of the show.

We gawked at some celebs, but didn't pay for any autographs. We waited around to try and catch a glimpse of Shatner who was supposed to be signing at his booth at 7 PM. He hadn't shown by 7:30 when we finally left.

Overall it was a good time. Expensive, and it didn't yield a single back issue for my collection. Not sure if I'd go next year, but we might.

Saving the rest of my money for actual comics at SpringCon in two weeks.

I didn't take any pics, but here is the official WW photo page.

I went Tim -- my daughter counted 143 people in costumes and I counted about 10 booths with comics (I might be a little low). Spring-con has a higher ratio of booths with books, and of course a lower admission fee.

I went Tim -- my daughter counted 143 people in costumes and I counted about 10 booths with comics (I might be a little low). Spring-con has a higher ratio of booths with books, and of course a lower admission fee.

A friend of mine went and he said there where only about 6 comic dealers and all of them we saw in Chicago. He was disappointed! $55 at the door for today, but he found a scalper that he bought from for $40.

Saving the rest of my money for actual comics at SpringCon in two weeks.

Wizard's comment about parking right on top of existing shows has uniformly been around the country that they have to take the date made available to them by their venue. That their hands are tied. That they have no control over a venue's availability.

They've announced this show for next year according to the new HOTFLIPS thread.

Same weekend.

A friend of mine went and he said there where only about 6 comic dealers and all of them we saw in Chicago.

Six dedicated comics dealers sounds about right. A few others had comics along with other stuff. Sure wasn't many.

A friend of mine went and he said there where only about 6 comic dealers and all of them we saw in Chicago.

Six dedicated comics dealers sounds about right. A few others had comics along with other stuff. Sure wasn't many.

Easy pass for me, I went to one of the LCS and they have a coupon for buy 10 get 15 free. The 10 I bought back issues and got 15% off and got 15 free. great deal!

Flew in from Burbank, Calif. and attened the con with "frozentundra guy" here on the boards. It's the first time we met in person. We spent most of the day on Saturday at the show. True, there weren't many comic book dealers and only about four Golden/Silver/Bronze dealers. Dale bought a cool book from Harley and I bought an Adventure Comics 200 from Greg Reece. We both got great deals. It was nice meeting Greg Reece for the first time. I have purchased a book or two from him in the past so it's nice to meet him in person. He had some great books on his display rack and in his boxes. I was limited on funds. I didn't want to spend more than three-four hundred bucks so the Adventure 200 fit the bill. I then submitted it to CGC so I wouldn't have to fear that the book might sustain damage on the plane. We hit a lot of air turbulence which personally I love cause it feels like you're riding the "Space Mountain" coaster at Disneyland. But it doesn't work wonders on vintage comics.

Then we spent the rest of the time at his home in suburbia and he showed me sights of the Twin Cities. I had never been there before. I saw the University of Minnestoa and wanted to bring back a couple of college co-eds but I don't think the wife would have appreciated that. It's enough that she puts up with this hooby of mine. And the Mall of America was super cool!!