• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After unbagging and scanning bagged and boarded books. Need advice on rebagging

28 posts in this topic

Question regarding storage of the comics.

I have many bagged and boarded books that I have bought. I am trying to sell most and get more CGC ones. As I open the bags up to scan the tape sometimes (mostly) precludes rebagging.

Would it be better to scan them then re-board and bag them in new resealable bags?

Someone sent me a couple in PVC hard plastic holder and scanner works great on them but they are cost prohibitive.

Would it be better to use actual mylar bags after scanning them?

I did search but could find no real good information so if is out there and I missed it please lead me to it.

Any and all advice is appreciated and thanked for in advance. :applause:

Don't use "resealable" bags, if you are talking about the ones with the adhesive strips. They are responsible for more comic destruction than Frederic Wertham and mad moms combined. OK, that is hyperbole, but the admonition stands. :)

Don't use "resealable" bags, if you are talking about the ones with the adhesive strips. They are responsible for more comic destruction than Frederic Wertham and mad moms combined. OK, that is hyperbole, but the admonition stands. :)

Great thats what I am looking for real advice. BCW recommended them as never being able to damage a book as the adhesive was on the bag and not the flap...But of course they make them

I honestly like them better than the traditional bags. Less opportunity for your bag to get snagged on tape as you take the book out. Though, of course, you don't want the adhesive side of the bag to touch the comic either so it really comes down to $$$ and paying attention to what you are doing. And if you are selling these books, then I can't imagine why you would invest in mylar to give it away. Way too expensive. If they are like me, then they will re-board and bag the books anyway. :)

I honestly like them better than the traditional bags. Less opportunity for your bag to get snagged on tape as you take the book out. Though, of course, you don't want the adhesive side of the bag to touch the comic either so it really comes down to $$$ and paying attention to what you are doing. And if you are selling these books, then I can't imagine why you would invest in mylar to give it away. Way too expensive. If they are like me, then they will re-board and bag the books anyway. :)

+1

You are bound to damage them in both cases, if you aren’t careful enough, but with the resealable ones I have damaged a 1% of the books I damaged with normal bags thanks to tape… lol

@Jop: I just take away the tape, then you can reuse the bag, and add a new piece of tape. :)

I don't want to break the budget on storing my comics, so I go two routes:

I use resealable bags for books I intend to sell. Easy in and out (the adhesive is on the back of the bag, not the flap - so no tape pull) for scanning and inspecting. I then make a notation of grading on a Post-it note and stick it to the back on the outside.

Books I keep, I put into a Mylite 2 with a fullback or two halfbacks for firmness.

Always...ALWAYS, take the tape off of a bag, whether it be a 25 cent book or a 25k book is my best advice.

Jim

I bought $20 worth of painter's tape yesterday.

:whee:

But not for bagging comics.

:(

But if I have any leftover after painting I can use the tape for bagging comics.

hm

:whee:

I have switched to painter's tape, if (and when) I were to accidentally hit the book with tape it doesn't stick like scotch tape. Highly recommended.

hm

That is kinda awesome.

OCD.....None

Just want it faster and easier to rebag and board as they will all be eventually sold except for a certain select few

If the bag & board is old enough, or not from me originally, I just cut the tape with a knife and that way I don't have to worry about tape-pulls. Then the comic goes into a new bag & board, and lately I have been making tabs on the ends of the tape so all I have to do now is pull downward and the tape comes off easily (I use "magic tape.) I also use Silver-age sized bags even for moderns, as I find most modern-sized bags a little tight, and some so tight with a board in it that I am uncomfortable putting a comic in for fear of damaging it.

I hope this advice helps.

-slym

OCD.....None

Just want it faster and easier to rebag and board as they will all be eventually sold except for a certain select few

If the bag & board is old enough, or not from me originally, I just cut the tape with a knife and I don't worry about tape-pulls that way. Then the comic goes into a new bag & board, and lately I have been making tabs on the ends of the tape so all I have to do now is pull downward and the tape comes off easily (I use "magic tape.) I also use Silver-age sized bags even for moderns, as I find most modern-sized bags a little tight, and some so tight with a board in it that I am uncomfortable putting a comic in for fear of damaging it.

I hope this advice helps.

-slym

I have seen this done, and one thing I do not like about it is if you pull the books in and out of a comic box that have this type of tape method I find these tabbed pieces of tape stuck on the front of the bag/comic that was behind them.