• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guess the grade - revealed

27 posts in this topic

I got back some of my grades for some books I've posted on here

AVENGERS 55

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=307983&Number=6896196#Post6896196

6.5 ???

Must be some defects in the whites that are hard to see in the scans. I'd have said 8.0

AVENGERS 55

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=307983&Number=6896196#Post6896196

6.5 ???

Must be some defects in the whites that are hard to see in the scans. I'd have said 8.0

Bottom staple popped?

AVENGERS 55

6.5 ???

Bottom staple popped?

I think the tanning on this book dropped the score a bit, maybe the staple. I'm at a loss on this one. Get the book in today so I'll check it wasn't anything else.

In hand the book doesn't appear "white" like other books I've seen that are graded high. it's sort of cream colored like the majority of the books that you see. Again this was my guess as to the low score

centerfold was perfectly attached. the interior had no issues. Book looked VF to me and to the group. I'd hate to pay the grader notes but I'm stumped.

In hand the book doesn't appear "white" like other books I've seen that are graded high. it's sort of cream colored like the majority of the books that you see. Again this was my guess as to the low score

centerfold was perfectly attached. the interior had no issues. Book looked VF to me and to the group. I'd hate to pay the grader notes but I'm stumped.

Tanning has usually a "gradient" curve: it appears around the edges of paper, and paper actually degrades (i.e. the margins are of lower quality of the inner part of the cover, or the book). This means that in extreme cases the borders could even be brittle.

Avengers #55, like most of Silver Age books with a white cover, just shows a yellower, or darker, cover stock compared to others.

I recently spoke of this with another boardie which put a PGM request for X-Men #1: at some point Marvel changed the cover paper stock, and late Silver books have much whiter covers, but yours is pretty white, considered it’s probably on the same paper stock of – say – Fantastic Four #67 – which is very hard to find with a whiter paper cover. I have a deslabbed 9.2 whose paper is like this other FVF range copy, so I am pretty sure this wasn’t the reason for the downgrading of yours, as it’s just the natural aging of a paper stock already yellower in its white point since the beginning. :)

D9vnHejh.jpg

Look how whiter this later Silver book is, and overall it does not look to have been differently handled than the FF above:

tkHKsnQh.jpg

That’s why I guessed a detached or partially detached centerfold. Sometimes these can be pretty tricky, especially with SA books from that period.

There are certain issues which seem to have a manufacturing problem – one is Hulk #126, I had a copy where not only the cover but the first wraps were literally "cut" by the bottom staple in an otherwise high grade copy (and not because of wear or handling).

here are the grader notes

Right Top Whole Book Crease

Left Bottom Whole Book Bend

Right Bottom Interior Bend Breaks Color

Spine Multiple Bend Breaks Color

Center Back Cover Fingerprints

Am I missing something on that book? I don't see those creases from the scan...

Am I missing something on that book? I don't see those creases from the scan...

I think I can see the "Left Bottom Whole Book Bend".

If you look at the original scans, on the back cover bottom-right, there is some creasing through/near the green coupon. And more closer to the corner. Flipping that to the front scan it's harder to detect, but it might be a crease through the Panther's elbow.