• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Treasure Chest v17 #2

21 posts in this topic

I apologize for exceeding the recommended three books per day rule, but I would like to grade properly this one right now.

Book is ia nicely looking VG range or so, unsure about how much the front cover water stain affects the grade.

Any help much appreciated as usual! (thumbs u

Q5thK4fh.jpg

High Res: http://i.imgur.com/Q5thK4f.jpg

43NhujXh.jpg

High Res: http://i.imgur.com/43NhujX.jpg

Thanks Wayne,

well, the stain is unpleasant – in fact I bought this as an upgrade to mine, but the stain wasn’t in the auction picture – seller must have spilled his drink on the book while I was bidding. :(

I did not complain, however, since this is a tough book and the price was right, but I am keeping my VG+ copy which looks a bit better. :)

Is this a square bound book? That is why I am guessing 5.5 to 6.0 The stain on the front cover, the colour scratch on the rear cover (maybe a stain there too) and numerous colour breaking spine ticks. If it is not a square bound book I might drop a half a grade but square bound spines are susceptible to more wear and tear I think.

No, it‘s a regular comic book (see the staples) – so I guess Wayne’s 4.5 is pretty much spot on. Do you think it could be a 5.0 or does the stain detract too much (no stain on the back cover: that is an excess of printing color, and the scratch is indeed a scratch).

Thank you! (thumbs u

Square bound can have staples too! Sometimes on the inside of the cover and they tend to poke through or cause colour breaks on the covers.

I'm thinking you might get away with a 5.0 to 5.5. I'm not 100% sure how much a grade deduct for the staining but what the hey, you got a book that you wanted! Albeit with a stain that wasn't in the seller's scan! (shrug)

lol Well, it was meant as an upgrade but I ended up keeping mine, which is similar anyway.

I just meant that the staples here are clearly visible on the outside, while on the squarebound ones, if present, are on the insides. :)

okay okay! It's just that I am not certain on foreign comics how the binding process works! :ohnoez:

Thanks Wayne,

well, the stain is unpleasant – in fact I bought this as an upgrade to mine, but the stain wasn’t in the auction picture – seller must have spilled his drink on the book while I was bidding. :(

I did not complain, however, since this is a tough book and the price was right, but I am keeping my VG+ copy which looks a bit better. :)

The stain does have a 'fresh' appearance to it = may have just happened. It also appears to go completely through the whole book as it can be seen on the BC. I have no idea how much CGC would hammer for this stain. Looks 6.0 without the stain. Maybe 5.0 with the stain. Cool book.

Thanks. Yes, the stain is surely fresh but it’s just on the front cover.

As I have explained, the darker spot on the back cover is just an area where the printing colors (Magenta and Cyan) have accumulated and the print is a bit slurred. 5.0 is just fine, the seller did not grade it but I guess it’s either a 4.5 or a 5.0 with the stain.

I have a further question: while handling the book I realized the upper staple has become almost detached, because of paper wear.

By "almost detached I don’t mean entirely detached, but just on one side, and don’t know ho much this affects the grade.

If a staple is entirely detached it’s bound to cause a 1.5/2.0 drop, but here’s the staple is still attached by a small piece of paper, and got torn alongside the staple only on one side of the cover.

I have a further question: while handling the book I realized the upper staple has become almost detached, because of paper wear.

By "almost detached I don’t mean entirely detached, but just on one side, and don’t know ho much this affects the grade.

If a staple is entirely detached it’s bound to cause a 1.5/2.0 drop, but here’s the staple is still attached by a small piece of paper, and got torn alongside the staple only on one side of the cover.

Missing or replaced staples can effect the grade. I would guess if the staple is completely loose (or loose enough that it is going to fall out) you would be looking at 3.5 to 4.0 for a grade IMHO. :(

No, I did not explain myself well. The staples are still holding firmly, but the paper alongside the length of the upper staple, because of paper wear, is barely attached (the piece of paper underneath the staple and connected to the back cover is still holding, 'though, and that’s why I spoke of a "partly detached staple", which is different from an entirely detached staple.

It’s a scenario which is common with GA books, and certain SA books, so I wished to know how much I should downgrade for that. :)

No, I did not explain myself well. The staples are still holding firmly, but the paper alongside the length of the upper staple, because of paper wear, is barely attached (the piece of paper underneath the staple and connected to the back cover is still holding, 'though, and that’s why I spoke of a "partly detached staple", which is different from an entirely detached staple.

It’s a scenario which is common with GA books, and certain SA books, so I wished to know how much I should downgrade for that. :)

It sounds as though you are trying to say that only the cover is detached at one of the staples? If that is the case then I think the downgrade is much less. I would say 0.5 to maybe 1.0 grades down from my original guessed grade. hm

It’s less worse: the cover is only "half-detached" at one staple: the bit of paper that lies under the staple is still attached to the back cover, just hanging/detaching from the front part of the cover, because of wear.

I think usually CGC downgrades 1.5 points for a fully detached staple from the cover, but this is not the case, so I will assume a 1.0, and given the grades already suggested I think I should grade it 3.5?

Any other opinion is MUCH appreciated. (thumbs u

I'd think a popped staple is downgraded differently depending on the condition of the book otherwise. A 9.4 looking book, is probably no better than a 7.0 with such a defect, but a 2.0 is probably still a 2.0. In lower mid grade a weak or "semi-detched" staple, probably isn't any more than a .5 drop.