• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"...Nor hell a fury like a customs dodger scorned..."

83 posts in this topic

Dear comic-sutra,

hi. i live in canada. are you willing to put a lower value on the customs forms so I do not get gouged the custom fees. I am interested in purchasing a couple of books from you but it will not be worth it if I have to pay customs fees let me know

No. All items sent internationally must be insured, and to do that, the full value must be declared.

no worries. your just a perfect example of an individual_without_enough_empathy American

lol

:whee:

Dear comic-sutra,

hi. i live in canada. are you willing to put a lower value on the customs forms so I do not get gouged the custom fees. I am interested in purchasing a couple of books from you but it will not be worth it if I have to pay customs fees let me know

No. All items sent internationally must be insured, and to do that, the full value must be declared.

no worries. your just a perfect example of an individual_without_enough_empathy American

lol

I also asked you not to tell anyone about this. :facepalm:

Dear comic-sutra,

lol

I also asked you not to tell anyone about this. :facepalm:

doh!

:(

;)

Dear comic-sutra,

lol

He did say you're perfect, in a way. :)

Dear comic-sutra,

lol

He did say you're perfect, in a way. :)

:acclaim:

Dear comic-sutra,

lol

Perfect example lol

Dear comic-sutra,

lol

Perfect example lol

:P

:acclaim:

[font:Book Antiqua]As a Canadian customer I ask that question from time to time,

also I try to work with the seller a way to save money in shipping cost, like:

Asking to hold the book with the promise to buy more books and then ship the books together,

or ask the seller to send the book first class (I leave positive feedback before he ship the book).

I am happy that I have a strong relationship with some USA sellers on Ebay and the boards...

selling and buying is a 2 way road, some say yes some no,

guess where my money goes...

Note:

The EBay custom service & International Import charge is a killer if you are a seller,

I know USA sellers cannot see the total amount, is astronomic,

nobody outside USA is going to buy,

they are losing a lot of customers,

and I don't believe the Canadian market is small.[/font]

2c

[font:Book Antiqua]As a Canadian customer I ask that question from time to time,

Asking to hold the book with the promise to buy more books and then ship the books together,

or ask the seller to send the book first class (I leave positive feedback before he ship the book).

I am happy that I have a strong relationship with some USA sellers on Ebay and the boards...

Note:

The EBay custom service & International Import charge is a killer if you are a seller,

2c

Do you realize that it is illegal to claim a false value on the customs form in order to not pay the fees?

Note:

2c

Do you realize that it is illegal to claim a false value on the customs form in order to not pay the fees?

Basically the Canadian version of this right?

BostonTParty450x285.gif

Note:

2c

He doesn't care about all of that. He just wants his books cheap, darnit! rantrant

:insane:

Note:

2c

Basically the Canadian version of this right?

BostonTParty450x285.gif

Pretty much, yes.

Insuring books eliminates this as an option. A seller has a right to insure (and rma doesn't sell cheapies for which insurance is silly), so I don't see why this guy has his panties in a bunch.

I do it for folks here as I figure uncle sam isn't getting cheated and every time I drive my car I. contribute to the canadian economy.

With that said I feel no ethical dilemna putting down a lower number because the customs charge represents Protectionism and limits my ability to sell to canadians whereas canadian sellers, to my kowldge, don't face thse charges making. Their prices less competetive when selling to americans. Wasn't nafta supposed to eliminate this?

And yes, it is a u.s. form, albeit not one used by u.s. authorities, I get it, but "value" is subjective as well - the form doesn't ask for sales price.