• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #67 (Copy D)

37 posts in this topic

Here's my unslabbed copy of FF #67. I picked it up from Mile High Comics about 10 years ago, let me know what grade you think it is. There's some overhang of the cover at the right lower corner that has kind of been crinkled that doesn't show up very well on the scan. Sorry, I couldn't get the back cover image to upload.

$(KGrHqVHJE4FI6LQlBWSBSTrj!v79g~~60_57.JPG

Mile High sold this to me as a Very Fine (8.0) unslabbed back in 2002. I have never had this book graded. I was just keeping it as my reader copy. The cover has really good gloss and colors and lies very flat. The worst area is the upper left spine area and my scanner makes that look a little worse than it really is. Yeah, my scan also makes the book look a little more yellow than it really is also. Thanks for the replies. Check out the double cover FF #39 I sold recently. I put a post of it up on the "double cover" thread at the "Comic Book Grading and Restoration issues forum". It had a unique grading by CGC.

Cheers and have a great day all.

Did you auto-correct the image color? Even if the scanner isn’t great, if one does not know how to correct images to have a more faithful representation, it’s better to leave the scan "as is".

The scanner probably has what I think in english is called a "yellow cast". Mine tends to charge magenta, and I usually fine-tune my scans, but I know how to do it as I am a graphic designer. :)

Hey, vaillant,

I tried the auto-correct, but I thought it made the cover look too white. I'm still having trouble getting the images to post. I can get them to paste off my ebay listings, but not directly off my computer image files. Is there something I'm missing, or do the images have to be on the internet somewhere to post? I feel like a total ignoramus because I'm having so much trouble with this.

Yes, you need to upload the images on some image hosting site. Forum platforms offer a limited hosting, but it is better to upload them to image hosting sites.

Usually basic subscriptions are free, and there are a few. Among the most used there is still Photobucket but I recently subsctribed to imgur (imgur.com) and I really find it the best I have tried so far.

The interface is pretty simple and self-explanatory, but some things are a bit esoteric – if you like to try it and need some help, I’ll be glad to give it to you. (thumbs u

(Just keep in mind I will be away tomorrow).

I was thinking of auto-corrections because they often introduce a "cast", so I thought it became yellowish because of that. It’s probably the scanner. White SA covers are tough to scan and display well, so that they reflect how the real book appears. I have learned to fix a bit my scans with trials & errors. :)

Hey, thank you very much, I noticed you said the image looked small, but it looks large enough on my computer. About what size would you suggest? That image is like 800x1280 pixels from the source transferred to an ebay listing and copied from there. Once again, thank you for the information.

Hey vaillant,

ok, here's my attempt to get the images in here. These are the autocorrected images of the FF #67, I think it just makes the cover look too white, but thanks for your help again. I re-sized the image to 1000x1496 from the source, see if this gives a bigger image on the page.

D1ldhcm.jpg

aZI40His.jpg

:grin:

Yes, the automatic correction makes the image too white, but overall gives a more realistic idea. Probably is a VF- as someone said.

With imgur you don’t need to resize the images before uploading: you can upload them at full resolution: mine are 300ppi, so about 20Mb.

By posting the original image URL (the web address), you obtain the full resolution one, but you can post selected sizes, by just adding a single letter digit at the end of each address. For example, I have added an "h" to the address of yours and I get this reduced size without any manipulation.

Imgur stores all these versions, much like the photo sharing site "Flickr", but is very handy as you change posting size on the fly, depending on your needs: :)

http://i.imgur.com/D1ldhcmh.jpg

D1ldhcmh.jpg

Another example, adding an "m" (medium thumbnail):

http://i.imgur.com/D1ldhcmm.jpg

D1ldhcmm.jpg

This code gives you a clickable thumbnail, which opens your full size image in an outside window:

[url=http://i.imgur.com/D1ldhcm.jpg][img=http://i.imgur.com/D1ldhcmm.jpg][/url]

D1ldhcmm.jpg

I agree the bleed through diminishes eye appeal, but most silver age books I've seen with this type of cover, in high grade (which this definitely is), with OW/W or W Pages commonly bleed through.i look at it as a good thing actually.

That being said the only defects I can see are

FC

Minor abrading, price box

Spine stresses (CB) near the Things's foot and Mr. Fantastic (Price Box)

lower left corner wear

Ink stain above fantastic 'c' are the dots near the 'c' bleedthrough?

BC

Most I can see is some minor spine and top edge soiling. Could be a minor dust shadow

Grade: 9.0. I think CGC probably gave it 9.2 W

Do I get a prize for guessing CGC would give it a 9.2 W? ;)

Ha, 9.2, I was a little too harsh, and ironic it was the same grade as the one I sold that I was trying to get an image to post up on this thread. Subliminal. hm

Your former 9.2 was a bit nicer… :gossip:

Plus, it seems to me it had whiter cover paper.

I don’t care about 9.4 and up, if the book presents better I am often just fine with a FVF book, it all depends on the cover & freshness of paper, to me.

Of course, non-color breaking wear helps! :D