• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

::CLOSED:: $1 Books! Recap page 20

199 posts in this topic

I can’t believe there is so little love for those early Gladstone books.

Some of them have either great reprints or awesome Gutemberghus group material, and many Daan Jippes covers are alone worth the books… :cloud9:

I know, it's sad. These are what got me into comics in the first place, and they're the first comics I ever bought as a kid at the corner drugstore next to the barber shop. I'm keeping many of the earlier ones, and will keep these too if they don't sell. Great stuff.

There is to say many are reprints, but certain issues contain the first US edition of classic 1950s and 1960s italian stories which are cherished in Italy at the same degree of – say – Silver Age Marvels.

The very first edition of an italian story is in Mickey & Donald #6, 7, 8, it’s a very important story, whose 1st edition in Italy is a costly book (by selling the first collected edition I could buy a Fantastic Four #1, but of course I won’t do it! :D ).

Here’s the cover, to give you an idea. From 1958:

eccTP.jpg

Interesting info. I must say I'm not very knowledgeable about Disney comics history beyond the Gladstone books I read as a kid. I don't think I ever had those Mickey and Donald books. What is the importance of the story?

Besides being an early (1950s) Scarpa story, it’s the first time the Phantom Blot is reintroduced in all his disturbing scope as a villain (Paul Murry also re-used it in US stories in the 1960s but in a way more watered-down fashion).

Macchia_1.jpg

There is also Eega Beeva as a supporting character, and there are crude scenes similar to those in the Phantom Blot’s original debut story, there is even a sequence where Mickey, under the Blot’s hypnotic control, tries to kill Chief O'Hara in his sleep!

Here’s the splash page of the first chapter, from Mickey & Donald #6:

jaO0ZhPh.jpg