• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bird

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have recently written and drawn a full-colour comic, and I've uploaded the first eleven pages here

http://finbird.tumblr.com/

Its inspired by my love for silver age comics mixed with a little Lovecraft and a little psychiatry. I'm currently working on the 2nd and 3rd issues. I wondered what you guys might think of it.

It's interesting, but the art would be a big deterrent from people buying it. Since your eventual goal is to print it, my advice is to steer away from color. A full color comic would cost a lot more to print. Experiment more with some halftones and shading so that the art doesn't rely as much on color. There are some real good books on inking which show tips on using line weights and cross-hatching to give a sense of depth. The art will only get better as you draw more, but I just don't think it's there yet for the average person to want to buy it.

DG

I quite enjoyed the narrative however, I think the dialogue could perhaps do with a little work.

I agree with dgarthwaite that the art may be a little restrictive to potential buyers but please don't let me put you off. I actually really like some of the panels. The portraits on pages 2 and 3 really grabbed my attention stylistically.

Good luck with your venture. I hope you get the opportunity to tell this story and that enough people come along for the ride.

Wow, just read it. I haven't read a single issue origin that in a LONG time. :applause: The art is nice to me, I think this would look way better in a more classic art tone than B&W though that would be much cheaper and easier. I would consider doing a more glossy or modern computerized cover. All in all: (thumbs u

I like it !! The creative spark is evident on every page. Oh sure, the art is still rough....but that gets better with every panel you draw, so don't quit.

I'm doing my own comic too, but its only in B+W. I'll trade you one of mine for one of yours :wishluck:

I like it !! The creative spark is evident on every page. Oh sure, the art is still rough....but that gets better with every panel you draw, so don't quit.

I'm doing my own comic too, but its only in B+W. I'll trade you one of mine for one of yours :wishluck:

I am a fan of your book Mike.080105211.gif

I am a fan of your book Mike.080105211.gif

:foryou:

I agree with this statement. Keep it up, it's very imaginative and has a personal feel. I liked it.

Keep it up! It gets better and better each panel. I used to draw my own comics, but decided I was a fail (which I was) and give up. I couldn't even draw faces! So my characters were human shaped blobs colored different colors to distinguish them. Work a little on the dialogue but great origin issue. It can be so hard to write a nice origin issue. Can't wait for more!

Since you asked.

Very amateurish and not something I would read. Let alone pay money for.

But don't give up. Most successful people fail many times on the road to success.

How old are you?

Good luck.

Agreed, it's a great book, but not a $4 book. You will need a reputation and a lot of finances and friends to buy a comic for it to succeed. Look at David Stevens, he tried to sell his comic to a lot of people but no one really took it and it didn't take off and now copies go for $2000 on ebay. His character go popular but it took time. Just be patient and hang in there, Even Stan Lee took a while to rise to the top! It needs work but can easily improve with time.

Thanks for checking it out anyway guys! Yeah, I asked a few publishers and they weren't really down with my art either. I'm not really an experienced artist at all actually, I just had this story stuck in my craw so I had to get it out somehow.... I am going to continue regardless cause I'm bullheaded like that: I've almost finished issue 2 now, and the pencils are done for 3 as well. I'm at least going to keep going until issue 6 (the end of this mini-arc), but I have in mind an over-riding 72 issue story arc..... We'll just have to see about that.

I will probably keep this style at least until issue 6, then I might switch it up.... I like hand-painting them, but my working process is pretty lengthy and inefficient at the moment, this is how I'm making them atm:

http://finbird.tumblr.com/making_of

Again, thanks for the honest advice, I really appreciate it

Stick with it and your art will get better. By the end of it all you may find yourself wanting to go back and redraw the early issues. People have higher expectations for art on a serious story. People are more tolerant on humor.

Joe Kubert felt that anyone could learn to be a good artist...

CBI_Lesson1_Page_1.gif

I liked this book on inking which gives some nice tips.

Art_of_Inking_350x457.jpg

DG

It's a touching, personal story. Thanks for showing this here. Like others have said, keep practicing your drawing technique. I started drawing for the first time when I was 28 and it looked similar to how you draw. But after a few classes and 13 years of practice, people are always impressed by my drawings now.

I know it's a cliche, but it really does just take practice and lots of patience.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I've just ordered both volumes of the inkers guide. Yeah, I am 29, roundabout the same age.

By my calculations it will take me about 5 years at least to finish this arc, so any redoing will have to be long in the future. Telling the story is more important to me atm.

Hi Guys... thanks for your feedback and advice... I have made two issues since then of the same comic, and hopefully improved the art. You can read previews of all the first three here:

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Issue 3: http://wowbrow.deviantart.com/gallery/49122966/The-Bird-Issue-3

Also, now the first comic is in full on comixology! Its here:

https://www.comixology.co.uk/The-Bird-1/digital-comic/173789

Thanks again!