• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

When in doubt, save up and 9.8

In 2011, the cost of Giant Size X-Men #1 for CGC 9.8 was $5,600.  Today, it's $72,000.  That's 1285%.

In 2011, the cost of Giant Size X-Men #1 for CGC 6.5 was $275.  Today, it's $5,250.  That's 1909%.

Investing $5,600 in 2011 would be worth $72,000 for 9.8 and $106,000 for 6.5.

People keep focusing on the top grades increasing and missing the fact that mid-grades have been better investments.

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

In 2011, the cost of Giant Size X-Men #1 for CGC 9.8 was $5,600.  Today, it's $72,000.  That's 1285%.

In 2011, the cost of Giant Size X-Men #1 for CGC 6.5 was $275.  Today, it's $5,250.  That's 1909%.

People keep focusing on the top grades increasing and missing the fact that mid-grades have been better investments.

Interesting.  What is it like for Marvel Spotlight 5 ?  :nyah:

Edited by Wolverinex

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I think that's also been pretty much the same scenario with high dollar value GA books.  (thumbsu

Just take a look at how some of the classic GA books like Action 13, 'Tec 31, Flash 86, etc. has done in low or mid grade in comparison percentage wise to the higher graded copies and it's pretty much no contest.  :applause:

Like any news reports or flash though, they always like to focus on just the big number without looking at the actual underlying details. :facepalm:

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

At least some of that $72K price for the GSX1 Heritage copy has to be attributed to auction fever I think. There is a 9.8 sitting for $73K on CL which looks at least as good as the Heritage copy if not better and has white pages. You have to imagine the consignor would also move down at least somewhat which would mean that you could have bought a better copy for less than what was just paid to Heritage. Either someone didn't do their homework OR... auction fever. Not that that changes anything about the appreciation this book has had. 

27 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

At least some of that $72K price for the GSX1 Heritage copy has to be attributed to auction fever I think. There is a 9.8 sitting for $73K on CL which looks at least as good as the Heritage copy if not better and has white pages. You have to imagine the consignor would also move down at least somewhat which would mean that you could have bought a better copy for less than what was just paid to Heritage. Either someone didn't do their homework OR... auction fever. Not that that changes anything about the appreciation this book has had. 

Does heritage charge sales tax?

8.25% on $73000 ebay or not has to be pretty steep

2 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Heritage does charge sales tax. The other book is on CL, not ebay, but I think they charge sales tax too. I think they all charge sales tax now as far as I know.

Ya I only know of a few online dealers that dont charge sales tax, sometimes their prices are a tad bit higher than Ebay but I dont mind cause no tax....

And heritage is in Texas and ours is 8.25 %  but I'm sure most places it depends on where the seller is  :)

I'm still blown away how much these books are.  I sorta wished I had invested in buying more books when the train was still at the station with the conductor saying ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD!!!

But no, I looked at him and said what, are you crazy?  You want how much for this book?  Kinda wished I had paid more back in 2011 & 2012.

*Sniff Sniff* We didn't know it was the last stop to climb aboard at those prices. 

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya I only know of a few online dealers that dont charge sales tax, sometimes their prices are a tad bit higher than Ebay but I dont mind cause no tax....

And heritage is in Texas and ours is 8.25 %  but I'm sure most places it depends on where the seller is  :)

Who doesn't charge sales tax? I'd like to know since Florida starts collecting online tax July 1st

17 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Who doesn't charge sales tax? I'd like to know since Florida starts collecting online tax July 1st

Mostly sellers I know from new York like Dave and Adam's 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Man, you guys are just now about to pay?  You've been getting a free ride. 

Texas started paying like two years ago IIRC.

4 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Here's one thing I don't understand about this online tax law. If I buy something from a company in Oregon, which has no sales tax, why do I have to pay the Iowa 7% sales tax? It would seem to me that the sale occurred in Oregon.

Because of one word: GREED. 

On E-Bay- There are still a few sellers in states that dont charge tax. The way I identify this is by clicking BIN from a potential seller. The next prompt describes the complete transaction . This includes tax and shipping. If tax is listed you pay it or you can exit the transaction. If tax is not listed you wont be charged and can follow through with payment. For auctions , its a shoot and I always factor tax in my bidding. I recently made a high value purchase(BIN) and did not have to pay tax. I may not have purchased it if there was tax.

7 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Here's one thing I don't understand about this online tax law. If I buy something from a company in Oregon, which has no sales tax, why do I have to pay the Iowa 7% sales tax? It would seem to me that the sale occurred in Oregon.

I agree with you, but the states complained that internet shopping was robbing them of tax dollars they depend on. It took years, but they finally got their way. Actually,  since back issues are used merchandise, they should be tax exempt, or at least at a lower rate than brand new. The tax is collected at the original point of sale, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:47 PM, LordRahl said:

At least some of that $72K price for the GSX1 Heritage copy has to be attributed to auction fever I think. There is a 9.8 sitting for $73K on CL which looks at least as good as the Heritage copy if not better and has white pages.

Well, I guess the giddy and bubbly Heritage auction fever must have petered out by the weekend and was all gone by Monday since this copy on CL managed to fetched only $42K in their auction last night:  :(

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021june%26session%3D0%23Item_1490264&id=1490264&itemType=0#detail

01291551698000111305611006.jpg

I imagine the consignor of this so-called #2 Registry Set (whatever that is  ??? ) must not have been too overly excited with this result, especially since the last few sales over the past 2 months or so have all been in the $60K+ price range.  :frown:

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the giddy and bubbly Heritage auction fever must have petered out by the weekend and was all gone by Monday since this copy on CL managed to fetched only $42K in their auction last night:  :(

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021june%26session%3D0%23Item_1490264&id=1490264&itemType=0#detail

01291551698000111305611006.jpg

I imagine the consignor of this so-called #2 Registry Set (whatever that is  ??? ) must not have been too overly excited with this result, especially since the last few sales over the past 2 months or so have all been in the $60K+ price range.  :frown:

Yeah he probably wasn't happy with this particular book given another one went for $72K just a few days earlier but I think overall he did fantastic. There were some books that sold for crazy high record prices. 

2 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Yeah he probably wasn't happy with this particular book given another one went for $72K just a few days earlier but I think overall he did fantastic. There were some books that sold for crazy high record prices. 

Yeah, $42K is certainly nothing to sniff at, especially if he had brought the book for much cheaper last year, or for mere peanuts way back in the day.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

29 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Sold too late.  He should have listened to me a few months ago.