• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2021 at 5:59 PM, Off Panel said:

That may be a factor, but it seems the plunge started back in the summer. Here are the last six sales from GPA:

Jun-17: $72,000 (peak GSM)

Jul-25: $49,200  (down $22,800)

Sep-04: $45,000 (down another $4,200)

Nov-18: $43,200 (down another $1,800)

Nov-19: $38,400 (down another $4,800)

Dec-18: $37,000 (down another $1,400)

The December to February slump may be influencing prices, in which case we could have another two months of decline in front of us. If it were to follow the same trajectory, we’d be looking at GSM 1 in 9.8 selling around $29,000 at the end of February, which would be a respectable $9,000 lift above where it was this time last year. Not too shabby.

Or it might be that the Bitcoin kiddies have exited the comic book market to go disrupt the next shiny thing. (Video games? NFTs? NFTs of video games?)

I thought it was noted here but I think there was one or two 9.8s for 48k in January sold on HA.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:54 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I thought it was noted here but I think there was one or two 9.8s for 48k in January sold on HA.

Those happened after my post but yes, you’re right.

A 9.8 sold at Heritage on January 13th for $48K and another sold on the same platform for the same price the very next day.*

* In both instances, that price includes a 20% buyer’s premium, so figure a winning bid of $40K plus $8K in fees.

On 2/13/2022 at 7:38 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not sure if a 9.8 94 hadn’t be graded yet, or just didn’t sell

9F397407-2DCD-4606-81D9-322BF4F33491.thumb.jpeg.7904f1814a49ee96fbee7b2f7b34215f.jpeg

Well, if you look at the CGCdata.com website, it looks like the first CGC 9.8 graded copy of X-Men was graded back in the first half of 2004:  :gossip:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/89/6mo

Looks like it took another 4 years for a second copy to be graded 9.8 in 2008 and now with "maximization of potential" in full play we have a whopping total of 35 Universal and another 3 Signature copies in CGC highest 9.8 graded condition.  

On 3/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Not bad from last week. 

Definitely rather surprising since Heritage was able to fetch only $43,200 for their CGC 9.8 graded copy only a short week prior to this CL sale:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/giant-size-x-men-1-marvel-1975-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122209-17541.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Giant-Size X-Men #1 (Marvel, 1975) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

And this was after back to back consecutive sales at a price point of $48K for two WP CGC 9.8 graded copies at HA a month earlier in January.  (thumbsu

A few interesting results from this week's Comics and Comic Art Signature auction.

Heritage had two Giant-Size X-Men 1's, both 9.8 with white pages. The first one sold for $39K (or $46,800 with Buyer's Premium). The second sold a day later for $44K (or $52,800 with Buyer's Premium). The discrepancy was interesting to me because, to my eye, the cheaper book had a better wrap (although neither was perfect).

The bigger news from the auction was that an X-Men 94, 9.8 with white pages, sold for $55K (or $66K with Buyer's Premium), outpacing both the GS X-Men.

(Of course, for context, a 9.8, white-paged Hulk 181 sold for $96K with Buyer's Premium. Yow!)

On 4/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, Off Panel said:

The bigger news from the auction was that an X-Men 94, 9.8 with white pages, sold for $55K (or $66K with Buyer's Premium), outpacing both the GS X-Men.

Not real breaking news here as XM 94 has consistently been selling for much higher prices than GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 ever since last summer.  :gossip:

No doubt in large part due to the fact that XM 94 is relatively much harder to find in CGC 9.8 with less than 40 copies total in the census as compared to well over 200 for GSXM 1.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/11/2022 at 12:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Not real breaking news here as XM 94 has consistently been selling for much higher prices than GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 ever since last summer.  :gossip:

No doubt in large part due to the fact that XM 94 is relatively much harder to find in CGC 9.8 with less than 40 copies total in the census as compared to well over 200 for GSXM 1.  (thumbsu

I've always been of two minds on XM 94.

On the one hand, I get it. First appearance of the new X-Men in their regular series. I tend to be more excited about main title issues than the Giant-Size, King-Size and annual books, which always seem like add-ons. Also, I get the scarcity argument. there are five Giant-Size X-Men 9.8's for every XM 94 9.8. That pings my collector radar, too.

On the other hand, "first appearance in a series" is a weird qualification, like "best Major League pitcher with curly hair." It's like, "Is he the best or isn't he? Where does the hair come in?" This is the second appearance of Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird, and the third full appearance of Wolverine and people are jazzed about it because it happened in a regular monthly title (like most second and third appearances if you think about it).

So yeah, depending on the hour and the day, I'm either excited or 'meh' about X-men 94. Guess I'm just mercurial that way. 

On 4/14/2022 at 11:09 AM, Off Panel said:

I've always been of two minds on XM 94.

On the one hand, I get it. First appearance of the new X-Men in their regular series. I tend to be more excited about main title issues than the Giant-Size, King-Size and annual books, which always seem like add-ons. Also, I get the scarcity argument. there are five Giant-Size X-Men 9.8's for every XM 94 9.8. That pings my collector radar, too.

On the other hand, "first appearance in a series" is a weird qualification, like "best Major League pitcher with curly hair." It's like, "Is he the best or isn't he? Where does the hair come in?" This is the second appearance of Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird, and the third full appearance of Wolverine and people are jazzed about it because it happened in a regular monthly title (like most second and third appearances if you think about it).

So yeah, depending on the hour and the day, I'm either excited or 'meh' about X-men 94. Guess I'm just mercurial that way. 

Own both?

On 4/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, piper said:

Own both?

I do.

(Full transparency: my GS X-Men 1 is in fantastic condition, but my XM 94 is a well-loved childhood copy.)

Edited by Off Panel
Who says “minty” anymore?