• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 and/or X-Men 94 Club
13 13

1,213 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2022 at 8:56 PM, PhantomEwan said:

I just won this my first ever! But while I was looking for it I noticed alot of these have rusty staples listed on the graders notes. I didn't even realize they have staples.  Is it something special about this issue that I found so many with rusty staples?

gsx 1.jpg

Both staples?

@bronze johnnyI’m not sure.  I actually won one and looked at the graders notes and almost had a heart attack.  Fortunately the seller let me cancel.  Then the next couple I found I checked the graders notes before bidding and the next three I looked at all had some mention of rusty staples.  

9C51DAF2-AF76-4CAC-AAA8-1A587C0EFC98.png

Edited by PhantomEwan

On 6/30/2022 at 11:27 PM, Cyborg-Sinister said:

The Giant Size X-Men 1 was busted out of a CBCS 4.0 case, the X-Men 94 was busted out of a CGC 9.0 Restored (color touch up) case. I like the GS 1 more than several higher graded copies that I have seen.

I guess I'm still relatively of new to grading, but what's the incentive to crack open the XMen94?  Is it the negative association of anything with the Restored color tag despite the high rating, or a general preference for unslabbed comics?  I mean once it's restored it can never be re-graded as not restored, but it'd still have more value with the grading than being unslabbed unless you just didn't disclose the restoration when selling it, right?

On 7/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, davebo357 said:

I guess I'm still relatively of new to grading, but what's the incentive to crack open the XMen94?  Is it the negative association of anything with the Restored color tag despite the high rating, or a general preference for unslabbed comics?  I mean once it's restored it can never be re-graded as not restored, but it'd still have more value with the grading than being unslabbed unless you just didn't disclose the restoration when selling it, right?

I'm not into slabbed comics so I am definitely not the norm, I wanted a nice X-Men 94 but didn't want to pay the going rate for a straight 9.0 so I purposely bought the 9.0 Restored (color touch up) with the intention of busting it out. If it was a straight 9.0 I would not have ever busted it out , the same with the Giant Size X-Men 1 if it was a higher grade I would have never busted it out either. The X-Men 94 is very nice and deserved the 9.0 but a previous owner took a black magic marker along the top edge of the front cover and of course it bled through.I have other CGC slabbed books that I don't dare bust out, ASM 16 6.5, Iron Fist 14 9.5 Restored (slight color touch up), Linda Carter Student Nurse 1 5.5, Our Love Story 2 9.0, My Love 31 9.2, Strange Tales 111 4.5, ETA, I did have a X-Men 94 CGC 4.0 with a horrific stain on the back cover that I couldn't stand to look at, I sold the intact slabbed 4.0 on eBay to facilitate buying the nicer x-Men 94.

18 x-men 94 3.jpg

Edited by Cyborg-Sinister
Addition

On 7/2/2022 at 3:24 PM, davebo357 said:

It's to see the Farrah Fawcett poster ad:

Spoiler

Just kidding!  Some people, however, like to read the actual comics. Far different look and experience than reading an Archive or later reprint because the change in printing techniques, inclusion of ads and letters, etc.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:09 AM, Off Panel said:

I've always been of two minds on XM 94.

On the one hand, I get it. First appearance of the new X-Men in their regular series. I tend to be more excited about main title issues than the Giant-Size, King-Size and annual books, which always seem like add-ons. Also, I get the scarcity argument. there are five Giant-Size X-Men 9.8's for every XM 94 9.8. That pings my collector radar, too.

On the other hand, "first appearance in a series" is a weird qualification, like "best Major League pitcher with curly hair." It's like, "Is he the best or isn't he? Where does the hair come in?" This is the second appearance of Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird, and the third full appearance of Wolverine and people are jazzed about it because it happened in a regular monthly title (like most second and third appearances if you think about it).

So yeah, depending on the hour and the day, I'm either excited or 'meh' about X-men 94. Guess I'm just mercurial that way. 

Same with me, 94 is just them popping in to the regular series. Don't see what the big deal is (shrug) Should we say ASM #1 is Spider-man's first appearance in his own title?

On 7/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Same with me, 94 is just them popping in to the regular series. Don't see what the big deal is (shrug) Should we say ASM #1 is Spider-man's first appearance in his own title?

1st Chris Claremont.  The guy that build the house that made X6men popular. 

Before, it was a 3rd string title.