• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #5 Affiliation
6 6

185 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 2:18 AM, lou_fine said:

Hey Oz;

Any idea if Heritage checked with CGC for the possibility of having this Oregon Coast Collection certified as a pedigree collection given the high grades on these books combined with the huge quantity held within the total collection?  hm

Or did the Oregon Coast Collection start too late and would not qualify since it did not have any of the key SA books in there?  ???

Mainly BA collections don't qualify for pedigrees...even tho the high end part of the collection started in 1968, it just didnt have those high grade early Silver keys to push it over the top. But we tried.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:19 AM, Ozonetv said:

Mainly BA collections don't qualify for pedigrees...even tho the high end part of the collection started in 1968, it just didnt have those high grade early Silver keys to push it over the top. But we tried.

Yeah, that's what I had figured in terms of not having any of the HG early SA keys.  (thumbsu

Then again, shouldn't this also have nixed the Oakland pedigree since I believe that pedigree also didn't have any of the early SA keys within its collection.  I guess this collection was given pedigree status quite early on before they "fine tuned" their qualifications as more and more of these later SA and primarily uber HG BA collections started to make their appearance in the marketplace.  hm  (shrug)

Just thought I'd circle back to stuff discussed many moons ago, as this book always grabs my attention this time of year.  As you might recall, after the huge 9.8 sale in June last year, folks wondered  whether there would be a disprortionate increase in the highest grades as the best raws found their way to CGC. 

The answer is no.  The # of 9.8s and 9.6s remained unchanged since end 2021/early 2022 (4 and 40, respectively), while the 9.4s went up only 3(!) to 89, despite a roughly 10%-15% increase in universal MS5s over the past year.  For example, a 9.4, which was top 3.5% last year when the total universal census was closer to 4,000, is now top 2.9% out of 4,530 blues.  So, as folks slabbed their raws in hopes of hitting it big, the 9.4s became relatively scarcer (as did 9.6 and 9.8, of course).  I suspect the same for 9.2, which is now top 6.7% of blue census. 

On 10/9/2022 at 10:29 AM, Pantodude said:

The answer is no.  The # of 9.8s and 9.6s remained unchanged since end 2021/early 2022 (4 and 40, respectively), while the 9.4s went up only 3(!) to 89, despite a roughly 10%-15% increase in universal MS5s over the past year. 

Well, you just wait until I get my copy squashed flat as a pancake by the biggest steamroller in the world and then graded after that.  lol  :wishluck:

On 10/9/2022 at 12:29 PM, Pantodude said:

Just thought I'd circle back to stuff discussed many moons ago, as this book always grabs my attention this time of year.  As you might recall, after the huge 9.8 sale in June last year, folks wondered  whether there would be a disprortionate increase in the highest grades as the best raws found their way to CGC. 

The answer is no.  The # of 9.8s and 9.6s remained unchanged since end 2021/early 2022 (4 and 40, respectively), while the 9.4s went up only 3(!) to 89, despite a roughly 10%-15% increase in universal MS5s over the past year.  For example, a 9.4, which was top 3.5% last year when the total universal census was closer to 4,000, is now top 2.9% out of 4,530 blues.  So, as folks slabbed their raws in hopes of hitting it big, the 9.4s became relatively scarcer (as did 9.6 and 9.8, of course).  I suspect the same for 9.2, which is now top 6.7% of blue census. 

Someone auctioned a 9.2 on Ebay last month, and it ended under $7,000.

Of course, if he was the one that paid @$700 for it 9 years ago, it's still a "win".

They are going to be burying his $250K, 9.8, with Nic Cage.

Oh, and still 4- 9.8s.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, sledgehammer said:

Someone auctioned a 9.2 on Ebay last month, and it ended under $7,000.

Of course, if he was the one that paid @$700 for it 9 years ago, it's still a "win".

They are going to be burying his $250K, 9.8, with Nic Cage.

Oh, and still 4- 9.8s.

The 9.8 copy is now on comiclink.

Asking price is $300K, so it looks like a slight loss would be acceptable to the seller, since the sale, including fees, was around that amount 2 years ago.

:popcorn: