• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #5 Affiliation
6 6

185 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FormerReader said:

I know to the person who bought it $264k is probably not much, but that is  a house. You could buy a 9.6 for a small fraction of the price and wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

A small fraction?  That probably remains to be seen.  This sale will set a precedent for some grades on this book which is notoriously hard to find in high grade.  I could easily see a 9.6 selling for the price of luxury SUV at this point.

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I bet the next 9.8 copy for sale won't top that much

That's the thing.  The last 9.8 MS5 sold five years ago (2016).  And other folks have already expressed their expectation that nowadays 9.8s (of any key issue) are being gobbled up for long-term PCs.  Even if there is another MS5 in 9.8 for sale soon, every one now knows there are only 4 of them.   That alone suggests it will match/top today's yield.  But more importantly, a rational market will have MS5 in 9.8 going for multiples of whatever is fetched by the much more common GSXM1 in 9.8.  Until GSXM1 in 9.8 cools off significantly and goes below $50K, I would expect MS5 in 9.8 to stay at least where it is now.  

Edited by Pantodude

59 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

That's the thing.  The last 9.8 MS5 sold five years ago (2016).  And other folks have already expressed their expectation that nowadays 9.8s (of any key issue) are being gobbled up for long-term PCs.  Even if there is another MS5 in 9.8 for sale soon, every one now knows there are only 4 of them.   That alone suggests it will match/top today's yield.  But more importantly, a rational market will have MS5 in 9.8 going for multiples of whatever is fetched by the much more common GSXM1 in 9.8.  Until GSXM1 in 9.8 cools off significantly and goes below $50K, I would expect MS5 in 9.8 to stay at least where it is now.  

You can bet every single one of the 39 9.6 owners out there, packed up the wife, the kids, and the car, and they're driving right now to their nearest presser, for a shot at resubbing to hit the jackpot!   :cry:

It will not stay at 4 out 4,000 books for long (thumbsu

Edited by Microchip

9 minutes ago, Microchip said:

You can bet every single one of the 39 9.6 owners out there, packed up the wife, the kids, and the car, and they're driving right now to their nearest presser, for a shot at resuming to hit the jackpot!   :cry:

Intriguing!  :idea:   Except that you are suggesting an MS5 in 9.8 going for $48.5K in 2016 wouldn't have been enough motivation for those measly 39 owners of a 9.6?  :makepoint:   That was a LOT of money back then, equal to what a GSXM1 was getting in 9.8 just a couple of months ago.  hm  I think it's more likely that, due to the black cover, there are very few MS5s in 9.8.  :preach: There is a reason they haven't popped up yet despite that $50K valuation five years ago.  2c   

Edited by Pantodude

8 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Historically, a 9.6 MS5 has gone for at least half a 9.8, give or take since 2000, and recently more.  I don't know where you're getting "small fraction" from.   (shrug)

I’m not looking at GPA, but 9.6’s often go for less than half the price of a 9.8. What is the current price for a 9.6? It’s not $120k. Nor will it be after this sale.  Let’s say a 9.4 then for the sake of the argument. I like Ghost Rider. I have since the 1990’s series, but that price is great for the seller, not so great for the buyer.

4 minutes ago, FormerReader said:

I’m not looking at GPA, but 9.6’s often go for less than half the price of a 9.8. What is the current price for a 9.6? It’s not $120k. Nor will it be after this sale.  Let’s say a 9.4 then for the sake of the argument. I like Ghost Rider. I have since the 1990’s series, but that price is great for the seller, not so great for the buyer.

Yer right!  I don't know what I was looking at then (I was evaluating various books).  It's more like 1/6 to 1/5, but hard to tell because a single 9.8 sold in 2013 and then one more in 2016.  It might be closer to 1/4 or more recently, if the experience with other BA keys is any guide, but who knows after today.  Anyway, time will tell how this risen tide floats the other ships.  

5 hours ago, Microchip said:

You can bet every single one of the 39 9.6 owners out there, packed up the wife, the kids, and the car, and they're driving right now to their nearest presser, for a shot at resubbing to hit the jackpot!   :cry:

Well, if you go back to check that thread on the big big $48K sale back in 2016, I bet all of the noobs on the boards at the time (present company excluded of course :wink:) were all saying the exact same thing.  :devil:

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you go back to check that thread on the big big $48K sale back in 2016, I bet all of the noobs on the boards at the time (present company excluded of course :wink:) were all saying the exact same thing.  :devil:

Gotcha.  And rightly so.    This time the payoff is 5 fold, but if $48k didn't move you, then yeah, I've no answers for that.

Just wanted to bring home what I thought was a salient point regarding MS5 in 9.8 valuation, which I made before but is worth repeating.  :preach: That book is no chump, as it has been popular and valuable for a long time.   It already sold for nearly $50K way back in 2016, back when a GSXM1 in 9.8 sold for only $8K.   A roughly 6x multiple in MS5 9.8's favor.  Even in 2013, when (prior to yesterday) the only other MS5 9.8 sold for $13K, GSXM1 9.8 went for $4K, shy of a 3.5x multiple in MS5 9.8's favor.  So it seems naive to act like folks had not already been assigning a very special status/value to MS5 scarcity in 9.8, especially compared to GSXM1 in particular.  Today's result, while consistent in this regard, was actually quite muted in light of this historical context:  $264K > $72K is "only" about a 3.5x multiple.   Arguably, the MS5 9.8 should or at least could have gone for $450K (!) using a 6x multiple with this historical support, whatever the underlying reason.  Maybe yesterday's bidders were on to something!  hm  

Edited by Pantodude

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

When a bronze age picture frame Marvel comic sells for $274,000, and a price analysis suggests it should have sold for much higher, I question the assumptions built into the analysis.  (shrug)

Price check!

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Just wanted to bring home what I thought was a salient point regarding MS5 in 9.8 valuation, which I made before but is worth repeating.  :preach: That book is no chump, as it has been popular and valuable for a long time.   It already sold for nearly $50K way back in 2016, back when a GSXM1 in 9.8 sold for only $8K.   A roughly 6x multiple in MS5 9.8's favor.  Even in 2013, when (prior to yesterday) the only other MS5 9.8 sold for $13K, GSXM1 9.8 went for $4K, shy of a 3.5x multiple in MS5 9.8's favor.  So it seems naive to act like folks had not already been assigning a very special status/value to MS5 scarcity in 9.8, especially compared to GSXM1 in particular.  Today's result, while consistent in this regard, was actually quite muted in light of this historical context:  $264K > $72K is "only" about a 3.5x multiple.   Arguably, the MS5 9.8 should or at least could have gone for $450K (!) using a 6x multiple with this historical support, whatever the underlying reason.  Maybe yesterday's bidders were on to something!  hm  

don't disagree with your premise.  People want to slot GR as a second tier character but there are plenty of fans and his first appearance has been high demand for a long time.  And the rarity of this book in 9.8 is legendary.  How long before another one comes to market?  Does $264K draw another out now or is it another 5 years before we see one offered for sale.  Not to mention, when you get into this rarified price range many sales are private, not on CLink or eBay or HA.  No way to know what they may trade for off the grid if one came up that way.

14 minutes ago, namisgr said:

When a bronze age picture frame Marvel comic sells for $274,000, and a price analysis suggests it should have sold for much higher, I question the assumptions built into the analysis.  (shrug)

Well how about a lil simpler analysis for you then.  ;)   MS5 9.8 went for nearly $50K five years ago in 2016.  Yesterday's result of $264K is only a five-fold gain during a span of time (especially last couple of years) in which books have gone up way more than that.  GSXM1 in 9.8  was $8K in 2016, and yesterday's $72K result is an eight-fold increase.  Another example, ASM129 in 9.8 sold yesterday for $41K, when it sold for just $10K in 2016, so a four-fold increase for a much more common 9.8.  I bet the more you get into it, the more reasonable (and under-valued even) the MS5 9.8's price yesterday will look, and that is using intuitive, common-cents comparisons.  2c  Just sayin, for the lil'un's.  :preach:

3 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I bet the more you get into it, the more reasonable (and under-valued even) the MS5 9.8's price yesterday will look, and that is using intuitive, common-cents comparisons.  2c  Just sayin, for the lil'un's.  :preach:

We can agree to disagree on this.  (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, namisgr said:

We can agree to disagree on this.  (thumbsu

Absolutely. :)   Ultimately, i don't think we disagree on the larger picture...that the valuations we have seen the last couple of years has taken most collectors by surprise.  All I'm saying is that the cold, straight-up historical data actually explains yesterday's results quite nicely.   Whether or not the current market is sane, apparently it is behaving rationally on some levels, at least with respect to MS5 in 9.8 (see historical info above).     

Edited by Pantodude