• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #5 Affiliation
6 6

185 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Where does this MS5 sale put its rank in terms of overall comic sales by issue? Top 20? 

Using GPA's "TOP 20 Platinum/Golden (progressive)" ranking, it would be 11th on that list, just after Superman #1 in 3.0, which sold for $310K in Dec2020!  :ohnoez: It would tie for #1 on the "TOP 20 Silver (progressive)" list by matching the $264K fetched by FF#1 in 9.0 in April 2021.  (:  BA books fetched no more than $63K (X-Men 94 in 9.8 in April 2021), and the CA leader was a TMNT1 in 9.6 for $88K in April 2021.  So overall, MS5 in 9.8 is tied (with FF#1 in 9.0) for 11th-highest price realized for a comic per GPA during the past year.  hm

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Using GPA's "TOP 20 Platinum/Golden (progressive)" ranking, it would be 11th on that list, just after Superman #1 in 3.0, which sold for $310K in Dec2020!  :ohnoez: It would tie for #1 on the "TOP 20 Silver (progressive)" list by matching the $264K fetched by FF#1 in 9.0 in April 2021.  (:  BA books fetched no more than $63K (X-Men 94 in 9.8 in April 2021), and the CA leader was a TMNT1 in 9.6 for $88K in April 2021.  So overall, MS5 in 9.8 is tied (with FF#1 in 9.0) for 11th-highest price realized for a comic per GPA during the past year.  hm

FF1 9.0 vs. MS5 9.8.... wow. 

Perhaps I'm really out of touch, but does Ghost Rider even have enough of a fandom to support a monthly comic book? As far as I always knew, he was 3rd-tier. I realize the book is rare in high grade, but still...

5 hours ago, SuperBird said:

FF1 9.0 vs. MS5 9.8.... wow. 

Perhaps I'm really out of touch, but does Ghost Rider even have enough of a fandom to support a monthly comic book? As far as I always knew, he was 3rd-tier. I realize the book is rare in high grade, but still...

The buyer really enjoyed those Nic Cage movies.  Wait, maybe it is Nic Cage.  hm

On 6/17/2021 at 9:40 PM, Microchip said:

You can bet every single one of the 39 9.6 owners out there, packed up the wife, the kids, and the car, and they're driving right now to their nearest presser, for a shot at resubbing to hit the jackpot!   :cry:

It will not stay at 4 out 4,000 books for long (thumbsu

:popcorn: It's still just 4 out of 4,000 books, and my popcorn's getting cold.  Just sayin'.  (:  this thread needed a bump anyway. 

Edited by Pantodude

I am not surprised that the total CGC 9.8 count is still only 4 since that $264K sale on H on June 17, even with C-L's huge focused auction coming up later this year.  Because of that black cover but also the incentive since 2016 to slab (due to the $46K sale for 9.8 in 2016).

But I am suprised by this.  Whether or not resubbing took place to try to squeeze a 9.8 out of an existing 9.6 or 9.4, there has been a REDUCTION in the census for 9.6s and 9.4s, while the 9.8s remain just 4!   During the Spring, there were 41 blue 9.6s and 92 blue 9.4s.   As of today, there are only 39 blue 9.6s and only 87 blue 9.4s.  Does this mean folks who gambled by resubbing 9.6s and 9.4s ended up with 9.2s or less?  Unfortunately, I did not track the 9.2s, but I expect those went up (unless resubbers really had bad luck?).  So the uber-high grade MS#5s (i.e., 9.8, 9.6, 9.4) are now even rarer than they were before that historic 9.8 sale in June.   Not what  folks expected, right?

To be fair, maybe the resubs were recent and resulted in cancellation of the old 9.6 and 9.4 certs, but they are still waiting for the new grades, be it 9.8 or wutever.  Time will tell, but if the 9.6/9.4 census remain fewer than in the Spring with 9.8s stuck at 4, I think that means unsuccessful resubs.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/24/2021 at 7:24 AM, Pantodude said:

I am not surprised that the total CGC 9.8 count is still only 4 since that $264K sale on H on June 17, even with C-L's huge focused auction coming up later this year.  Because of that black cover but also the incentive since 2016 to slab (due to the $46K sale for 9.8 in 2016).

But I am suprised by this.  Whether or not resubbing took place to try to squeeze a 9.8 out of an existing 9.6 or 9.4, there has been a REDUCTION in the census for 9.6s and 9.4s, while the 9.8s remain just 4!   During the Spring, there were 41 blue 9.6s and 92 blue 9.4s.   As of today, there are only 39 blue 9.6s and only 87 blue 9.4s.  Does this mean folks who gambled by resubbing 9.6s and 9.4s ended up with 9.2s or less?  Unfortunately, I did not track the 9.2s, but I expect those went up (unless resubbers really had bad luck?).  So the uber-high grade MS#5s (i.e., 9.8, 9.6, 9.4) are now even rarer than they were before that historic 9.8 sale in June.   Not what  folks expected, right?

To be fair, maybe the resubs were recent and resulted in cancellation of the old 9.6 and 9.4 certs, but they are still waiting for the new grades, be it 9.8 or wutever.  Time will tell, but if the 9.6/9.4 census remain fewer than in the Spring with 9.8s stuck at 4, I think that means unsuccessful resubs.  

Any chance those 9.6/9.4 books went to ‘Voldemort’ for a more lenient opinion?

On 10/24/2021 at 2:01 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Any chance those 9.6/9.4 books went to ‘Voldemort’ for a more lenient opinion?

Nah.  Voldemort graded defense (against the Dark Arts) as a I recall.  Ghost Rider is all offense!   Anyway, that would only have created new grades (by "V") while keeping the CGC census undisturbed.  (thumbsu   "Voldemort" is cool like that.

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/24/2021 at 7:24 AM, Pantodude said:

But I am suprised by this.  Whether or not resubbing took place to try to squeeze a 9.8 out of an existing 9.6 or 9.4, there has been a REDUCTION in the census for 9.6s and 9.4s, while the 9.8s remain just 4!   During the Spring, there were 41 blue 9.6s and 92 blue 9.4s.   As of today, there are only 39 blue 9.6s and only 87 blue 9.4s.  Does this mean folks who gambled by resubbing 9.6s and 9.4s ended up with 9.2s or less? 

Like you, I also found this rather surprising that there would have been a reduction with no corresponding increase somewhere else.  ???

As a result, I took a quick look at the CGCdata.com website here, and noticed the following:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/842/6mo

from what I am seeing, it would appear that you also included the Signature  and Restored counts in your Spring totals (i.e. 2 and 5 respectively) and then counted only the Universal blues labels in your October totals.  It actually looks like the Universal 9.4's have gone up by 2 from a count of 85 on June 29th to 87 in their next count on October 26th.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/26/2021 at 6:27 PM, lou_fine said:

Like you, I also found this rather surprising that there would have been a reduction with no corresponding increase somewhere else.  ???

As a result, I took a quick look at the CGCdata.com website here, and noticed the following:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/842/6mo

from what I am seeing, it would appear that you also included the Signature  and Restored counts in your Spring totals (i.e. 2 and 5 respectively) and then counted only the Universal blues labels in your October totals.  It actually looks like the Universal 9.4's have gone up by 2 from a count of 85 on June 29th to 87 in their next count on October 26th.  :gossip:

Hi there.  Thanks for the data link.  Don't know what happened.  I only ever look at the Universal column. (shrug) Anyway, the main takeaway remains unchanged (except hopefully this means no one got burned on resubs :wishluck:).  Since the Spring, the total blue 9.8s remains unchanged at 4, while blue 9.6s remain unchanged at 39, and even blue 9.4s only went up by two (!) to 87.    That is telling.  To me, this kind of data after the mega sale of the MS5 in 9.8 might super-charge the next 9.8 sale.  That is, if current data serves to debunk the theory that there are 9.8 (or even 9.6 or 9.4) raws waiting in PCs in significant numbers.     

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/24/2021 at 11:10 PM, LudaToke said:

This book has been on my radar for a while.  My son has an affinity for the character so I told him I would hunt it down for him.  A copy came in to my LCS so I told them to hold it for me and slowly started to pay it off.  Turns out my girlfriend put down the last 20% so I could have it for Christmas.

PXL_20211225_025920735.thumb.jpg.5dd81a25808abb8e4bec1eedd47671f8.jpg

Fantastic. That makes for a very Merry Christmas!

A 9.0 White just went for 11,100 on HA. By far a record sale. It's one of those books that the difference in sales between an 8.5 and 9.0 is huge. Crazy huge really.

As the owner a a White 8.5 I've been thinking about pressing a re-subbing for a long time. I've had bad luck doing this in the past. Opinions welcome .Notes Graded 2016.

Left Bottom Whole Book Heavy Crease
Right Top Front Cover Crease
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

034.jpg

036.jpg

Edited by Professor K

On 6/18/2021 at 6:52 AM, Pantodude said:

Using GPA's "TOP 20 Platinum/Golden (progressive)" ranking ... by matching the $264K fetched by FF#1 in 9.0 in April 2021.  (:  BA books fetched no more than $63K (X-Men 94 in 9.8 in April 2021), and the CA leader was a TMNT1 in 9.6 for $88K in April 2021.  So overall, MS5 in 9.8 is tied (with FF#1 in 9.0) for 11th-highest price realized for a comic per GPA during the past year.  hm

Future fractional shares on Marvel Spotlight # 5 Cgc 9.8 drove up the bids in 2021?

On 1/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, aardvark88 said:

Future fractional shares on Marvel Spotlight # 5 Cgc 9.8 drove up the bids in 2021?

Hey there.  Who knows?  Could be.  Is that vid by the Swagglehouse (or something like that) dude?  I steer clear of his vids, so I'm not watching it.  His stuff always appears to be based on something he just read (b/c he thought it would get page views?) without disclosing that he otherwise knew nothing about the subject.  You get into it, and he often mischaracterizes or overlooks stuff along the way.  A historian he is not.  But I guess newcomers might find his vids cool as an intro of sorts on a subject.  So maybe I'm being too harsh.    

Anyway, the fractional share companies....i always wonder what role/impact they are having nowadays on big key sales.  So buyers beware...as always, but involvement by fractional share companies should not...of itself, result in manipulation.  It, like any other buyer, should bid what it is willing to get the book.  That's what every buyer does, right? 

Also, as discussed earlier in this thread, even during the weeks leading up to the MS5 9.8 result at issue (uncanny, wasn't it?), the lofty 9.8 result makes cents when compared to last year's results for other, much more common BA keys in 9.8.  So I wasn't surprised MS5 would get that high; I actually predicted it!  But I didn't win anything.  Sigh.  

BTW, the thumbnail suggests it singles out MS5.  If so, that is weird in light of the $70-90K results for other books in 9.8.  There are only four MS5 in 9.8 out of 4417 CGC graded books (!), even now, so many months after that $264K in June.  That alone could explain the result (again, in light of the prices fetched by books with much higher census pops in 9.8).  For all I know, it's ALL manipulated.  But the point is that the MS5 result appears to be rational, so long as everything else was rational.  And every day that has passed since then without a new graded 9.8 made it seem more so.   

Edited by Pantodude
typo

@aardvark88 Forgot to add something.  I don't know if you are aware of this, you might be a youngster who wasn't around back then :) but a MS5 in 9.8 was a $48,500 book back in 2016! (see GPA).   Considering how uncommon that book is in grade, why would folks (unless they are not aware of its price history) even entertain notions of manipulation when the $264K result was "only" a 5x multiple of a 2016 result?   Seriously.  So many lesser books have appreciated by a lot more than that since just last year or 2020 or 2019, let alone since 2016, that I was not suprised.  You could argue that it remains undervalued, if other books continue on the uptick.  A 9.4 also sold for $30K on ComicConnect in November (non-auction sale).     

1955399172__Screenshot(535).thumb.png.c5993ec92104abae464d4c6e710cd8ac.png

Whether or not there were any shenanigans....what do I know?  But it's not my initial reaction.    

Edited by Pantodude

So that's four copies now, that have been graded and sold in the last year.

Each of them has had white pages.

3 of them were on the same submission, graded in March (The 9.8, and 2 of the 9.6).

The other 9.6 sale, was graded in May.

$42K, $84K, $84K and $264K.

I think Cage is buying them all to mount on a wall.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:30 PM, Professor K said:

A 9.0 White just went for 11,100 on HA. By far a record sale. It's one of those books that the difference in sales between an 8.5 and 9.0 is huge. Crazy huge really.

As the owner a a White 8.5 I've been thinking about pressing a re-subbing for a long time. I've had bad luck doing this in the past. Opinions welcome .Notes Graded 2016.

Left Bottom Whole Book Heavy Crease
Right Top Front Cover Crease
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

034.jpg

036.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't touch it. You could roll the dice and get it pressed. It may come back the same grade, but off white-white pages. I have seen this happen many times, not just with my books, but others. 

On 1/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, comicartfan said:

Honestly, I wouldn't touch it. You could roll the dice and get it pressed. It may come back the same grade, but off white-white pages. I have seen this happen many times, not just with my books, but others. 

Thanks for that input comicartfan. I think the book has all the criteria of a 9.0 to maybe even a 9.4, but the little crease in the lower left corner knocks it down. I agree about the risk. I've cracked and resubbed about 5 books over the years and only one came back higher , from 8.5 to 9.0. A few got their page quality knocked down too. Last time was an Avengers 4 - 6.0......came back a 5.0. I'm unluckey I guess so yeah, I don't think I'll ever crack this. 

If you had to pick one book whose census numbers could jump dramatically once CGC gets through its pressing and grading backlog, Marvel Spotlight #5 would be a good choice.

I don't have any data to back that up, it just seems obvious that submissions on this book would go through the roof and that graded supply in the market will soon follow.