• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #5 Affiliation
6 6

185 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 10:12 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If you had to pick one book whose census numbers could jump dramatically once CGC gets through its pressing and grading backlog, Marvel Spotlight #5 would be a good choice.

I don't have any data to back that up, it just seems obvious that submissions on this book would go through the roof and that graded supply in the market will soon follow.

Right. I think we all expected MS5 submissions to increase mightily in light of the recent valuations.  But I never expected (and still don't) a significant change in the census numbers for the uber-high grades like 9.4-9.8.   Even in 7.5, MS5 is a walk-thru tier book (7 business days turnaround), and if pressed, add "just" another 14 business days.  Unless for some reason everyone waited until last month to submit high-grade (lets focus on 9.4-9.8) raws, any new ones would be reflected by now.  But no.  There remain only 4 in 9.8, 40 in 9.6 (up from 39 few months ago?), and 87 in 9.4 (unchanged from last month, when it had gone up by only 2 since October).  

If you are referring to grades below 9.4, I haven't really kept abreast so don't know.  Their census could (should?) go up significantly.  We'll know soon.   

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/16/2022 at 7:49 AM, sledgehammer said:

So that's four copies now, that have been graded and sold in the last year.

Each of them has had white pages.

3 of them were on the same submission, graded in March (The 9.8, and 2 of the 9.6).

The other 9.6 sale, was graded in May.

$42K, $84K, $84K and $264K.

I think Cage is buying them all to mount on a wall.

@Ghost Town

One of Barton's sweet new acquisitions clued me in to what has been going on recently.

All of these recent books are Oregon books, including a 9.4 with white pages.

I'm confused about this collection though, because the first guy that offered some on the boards @Ozonetv, and the thread was closed, offered books without labels.

In the Crazy Heritage results thread last June, he said only stickered books were Oregon collection.  

Was it typical for this collector to have this many copies (FOUR) of a single book, or was MS 5 a rare case??

Edited by sledgehammer

On 1/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, Pantodude said:

Right. I think we all expected MS5 submissions to increase mightily in light of the recent valuations.  But I never expected (and still don't) a significant change in the census numbers for the uber-high grades like 9.4-9.8.   Even in 7.5, MS5 is a walk-thru tier book (7 business days turnaround), and if pressed, add "just" another 14 business days.  Unless for some reason everyone waited until last month to submit high-grade (lets focus on 9.4-9.8) raws, any new ones would be reflected by now.  But no.  There remain only 4 in 9.8, 40 in 9.6 (up from 39 few months ago?), and 87 in 9.4 (unchanged from last month, when it had gone up by only 2 since October).  

If you are referring to grades below 9.4, I haven't really kept abreast so don't know.  Their census could (should?) go up significantly.  We'll know soon.   

This is good insight.  No, I'm only talking about 9.4 - 9.6.  I generally don't play in the 9.8 range for Bronze Age books.

Very happy to own a 9.4, and this book is on my (long) list of books I wanted to upgrade to 9.6.  At these prices, I'm not sure I can justify that.  Ghost Rider is cool but he's still a C-list character.

Not to start the same conversation we had in the AF 15 thread all over again, but supply has to be the only reason MS #5 prices are so high above Hulk #181 prices.  The demand still has to be much higher for Wolverine.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, sledgehammer said:

@Ghost Town

One of Barton's sweet new acquisitions clued me in to what has been going on recently.

All of these recent books are Oregon books, including a 9.4 with white pages.

I'm confused about this collection though, because the first guy that offered some on the boards @Ozonetv, and the thread was closed, offered books without labels.

In the Crazy Heritage results thread last June, he said only stickered books were Oregon collection.  

Was it typical for this collector to have this many copies (FOUR) of a single book, or was MS 5 a rare case??

yup- Thats me.

I worked with the owner of the Oregon Coast Collection. We originally did a spot check and graded 10 books - some of which I offered on that thread you mentioned. Once those books were sold, the owner decided to sell the collection to Heritage. He took immaculate care of them, and often grabbed multiple copies off the newsstand (including 5! MS5s - 9.8, 2x9.6, 9.4, 9.2).

The buyers of those first 10 books were lucky enough to grab them at a crazy good price...they had OCC labels on the backs, as opposed to the Heritage books that have them on the front. Theres about 4000 total books in the collection, 1200 have been sold to date.

Hope thats some useful background.

Wow, big congrats on your copy of MS 5, and most of all, the absolutely amazing grade that you was able to get for your copy.  :applause:

Maybe it's time for all of us to submit our books now as there is sure a huge visual difference from how they were grading last year:  :luhv:   (:

01197900860000113766066002.jpg

On 1/22/2022 at 5:23 PM, Ozonetv said:

Heres those   5 epic raw copies....

MS1.png

MS2.jpg

MS3.jpg

MS4.jpg

MS5.jpg

Have you ever given any serious thought to getting any of your 5 copies here graded and slabbed because they sure look right up there in terms of potential high grades?  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 3/27/2022 at 3:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Have you ever given any serious thought to getting any of your 5 copies here graded and slabbed because they sure look right up there in terms of potential high grades?  :luhv:  :takeit:

They were graded...9.2/9.4/ 2 9.6 / 9.8 (its the one that sold for 265k).

On 3/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, Ozonetv said:

They were graded...9.2/9.4/ 2 9.6 / 9.8 (its the one that sold for 265k).

Wowza.........................big big congrats to you on your huge record setting sale.  :applause:  :flipbait:

Have you already auctioned off the other 4 copies or will you be keeping one of them for your own personal collection since you can certainly afford to?  (thumbsu

From a collector's POV, the HOS 92 is a definite keeper and a much tougher book to find in grade as compared to MS 5.  :applause:  :takeit:

From a speculator's financial POV though, I guess the MS 5 would be a better bet going forward due to Ghost Rider's much more recognizable character from his movie and TV related tie-in's.  (thumbsu  :flipbait:

On 3/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, lou_fine said:

From a collector's POV, the HOS 92 is a definite keeper and a much tougher book to find in grade as compared to MS 5.  :applause:  :takeit:

From a speculator's financial POV though, I guess the MS 5 would be a better bet going forward due to Ghost Rider's much more recognizable character from his movie and TV related tie-in's.  (thumbsu  :flipbait:

I'm just a huge Wrightson fan. He inspired me to go into the field of art when Swamp Thing came out when I was in 7th grade...HoS has always been that elusive holy grail for me so to have this copy in my collection is priceless. I really don't feel the same way about MS5.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ozonetv said:

yup- Thats me.

I worked with the owner of the Oregon Coast Collection. We originally did a spot check and graded 10 books - some of which I offered on that thread you mentioned. Once those books were sold, the owner decided to sell the collection to Heritage. He took immaculate care of them, and often grabbed multiple copies off the newsstand (including 5! MS5s - 9.8, 2x9.6, 9.4, 9.2).

The buyers of those first 10 books were lucky enough to grab them at a crazy good price...they had OCC labels on the backs, as opposed to the Heritage books that have them on the front. Theres about 4000 total books in the collection, 1200 have been sold to date.

Hope thats some useful background.

Hey Oz;

Any idea if Heritage checked with CGC for the possibility of having this Oregon Coast Collection certified as a pedigree collection given the high grades on these books combined with the huge quantity held within the total collection?  hm

Or did the Oregon Coast Collection start too late and would not qualify since it did not have any of the key SA books in there?  ???