• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's see those raw 9.8s!

17 posts in this topic

Been interested in all of the grading opinions everyone has but never really see people give 9.8s

I figured this would be a good post to see what many if you who have been so kind to grade for others believe a 9.8 is? If you have scans or past post images, I'd love to see some great raw 9.8 candidates!!

Very hard to tell a 9.6+ from scans – I think even doing great scans there will be always something which eludes the eye.

That is why I always grade with one eye shut! :roflmao:

But seriously I would like to see more 9.8 raw books on here too! I think given a large enough scan and some details like you do is enough to test the 9.8 waters IMHO. :grin:

Very hard to tell a 9.6+ from scans – I think even doing great scans there will be always something which eludes the eye.

But seriously I would like to see more 9.8 raw books on here too! I think given a large enough scan and some details like you do is enough to test the 9.8 waters IMHO. :grin:

I think you are correct. These books look great in scans but there are factors that are not present in scans. Like gloss.

I think you are correct. These books look great in scans but there are factors that are not present in scans. Like gloss.

But that is why a brief description is so important and helpful in making an educated guess. ;)

But that is why a brief description is so important and helpful in making an educated guess. ;)

I was agreeing with you...

I was agreeing with you...

Oh foolish me! doh!

I didn't post either of those. I posted the ASM 194. Which got responses in the 9.6 range lots saying 9.6+, I think that most are hesitant to give a 9.8.

This also got a 9.8 and is a good demonstration that CGC don't care about printers creases until 9.9. This one had a gnarly PC on the FC.

e2dc828a59bacdd3764c3fabcdf7e3d9_zps6cb30b92.jpg

e8bcd39863f54621ed95ee3d94d9456b_zpsbb8be28a.jpg

I didn't post either of those. I posted the ASM 194. Which got responses in the 9.6 range lots saying 9.6+, I think that most are hesitant to give a 9.8.

This also got a 9.8 and is a good demonstration that CGC don't care about printers creases until 9.9. This one had a gnarly PC on the FC.

e2dc828a59bacdd3764c3fabcdf7e3d9_zps6cb30b92.jpg

...[/url]

That one has a little odd cut to the bottom edge too.

ASM 100 has lots of copies with that printer crease, I've had a few of them.

I have an ASM 188 that was a 9.6 book. I removed it long ago because it was a brown label(I needed to practice before cracking out my AF 15). That copy I have has no obvious flaws, and being an all black cover, it could be a 9.8 yet.

But the overall book is great. Now from the scans I can see one spine stress - no colour break - and some bindery corners. My understanding is that if you have minimum number of defects certain defects that we thought would keep it from grading at 9.8 are permissible. The PC is just that and is not considered a flaw or defect until 9.9 and 10.0 from what I understand. Awesome book! (thumbs u

Love the sharp corners on your NM books, Collector. :)

Yes, definitely people are scared to give a NM+ and above, but that’s simply because, as it has been said, there are factors which will always be missing in a scanned image.

Sometimes taking also a picture helps, but for example certain stains or water damage aren’t always visible, and gloss, as the Collector said.