• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crisis on Infinite Earths

104 posts in this topic

Two things Kevin said here are very poignant:

It is a defining moment in the history of the company and a glimpse back at bronze and silver DC Comics, but it's a curiosity at best, not a must-read.

and

but in restrospect it is probably because it was a great experience as it happened, not because it is a great read.

Crisis is a great, epic story for those who have an appreciation and love for the Silver Age DC Universe. The notion of "infinite earths" was the foundation of so many stories during this time, that a shakeup of that status quo was a "can't miss" event. For the Marvel Zombies or those who haven't read many DCs from the '70s and early '80s, the story is fairly meaningless because they can't comprehend the radical change that Crisis caused. For a medium that prides itself on keeping everything close to the status quo, this tale was truly revolutionary. And if you read it first run, it was probably the most exciting thing ever seen in a comic book series.

Alan

Crisis is definitely a favourite of mine, but in restrospect it is probably because it was a great experience as it happened, not because it is a great read.

Crisis is really a collection of great MOMENTS for me... especially in issues 7-12, when the series kicks into high gear - Supergirl dies, then the Flash, then the whole freaking universe in 10 when the Spectre fights the Anti-Monitor at the Dawn of Time. 11 and 12 are the epilogue to that fight... everything is the same, but different... one universe, one history. And of course, the final battle of the original Superman at the end of 12.

To a 15 year old kid in 1985 this was mind-blowing stuff.

But looking back from 2004? It is a defining moment in the history of the company and a glimpse back at bronze and silver DC Comics, but it's a curiosity at best, not a must-read. A step that had to be taken to enable DC to move forward, attract readership and talent and become company between 1986 and today.

The real must-read if you want to understand DC continuity is the "History of the DCU", also by Wolfman and Perez. It's a little dry, but it establishes the ground rules and history of the new DCU established in Crisis 11 and 12. Sure there have been changes since then, but the fundamentals are still there.

This sums up how I feel about Crisis beautifully! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Back to the subject of this thread...

I finally read Crisis in TPB about a year ago and found it to be very disappointing. Sure, the Perez artwork is nice, but I was somewhat shocked that Wolfman's story didn't have much emotional punch.

As others have said, Crisis was more of an Event than a compelling story itself. I may have glanced through it occasionally since then, but never felt compelled to re-read whole sections of it, like I do with Watchmen, Born Again, Dark Knight Returns... or for that matter Swamp Thing, Kirby's New Gods/Forever People, BWS Conan, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Kree-Skrull War, Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter, Enemy Ace, Len Wein's JLA, Denny O'Neil's Batman, Steranko Nick Fury, Englehart-Rogers Detective Comics, Deadman, etc. etc. makepoint.gif

Back to the subject of this thread...

I finally read Crisis in TPB about a year ago and found it to be very disappointing. Sure, the Perez artwork is nice, but I was somewhat shocked that Wolfman's story didn't have much emotional punch.

As others have said, Crisis was more of an Event than a compelling story itself. I may have glanced through it occasionally since then, but never felt compelled to re-read whole sections of it, like I do with Watchmen, Born Again, Dark Knight Returns... or for that matter Swamp Thing, Kirby's New Gods/Forever People, BWS Conan, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Kree-Skrull War, Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter, Enemy Ace, Len Wein's JLA, Denny O'Neil's Batman, Steranko Nick Fury, Englehart-Rogers Detective Comics, Deadman, etc. etc. makepoint.gif

Yeah... never been a big fan of event-style stories. One of the reasons that I got of comics in the late 1970's.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Crisis is definitely a favourite of mine, but in restrospect it is probably because it was a great experience as it happened, not because it is a great read.

Crisis is really a collection of great MOMENTS for me... especially in issues 7-12, when the series kicks into high gear - Supergirl dies, then the Flash, then the whole freaking universe in 10 when the Spectre fights the Anti-Monitor at the Dawn of Time. 11 and 12 are the epilogue to that fight... everything is the same, but different... one universe, one history. And of course, the final battle of the original Superman at the end of 12.

But looking back from 2004? It is a defining moment in the history of the company and a glimpse back at bronze and silver DC Comics, but it's a curiosity at best, not a must-read. A step that had to be taken to enable DC to move forward, attract readership and talent and become company between 1986 and today.

The real must-read if you want to understand DC continuity is the "History of the DCU", also by Wolfman and Perez. It's a little dry, but it establishes the ground rules and history of the new DCU established in Crisis 11 and 12. Sure there have been changes since then, but the fundamentals are still there.

I never read "History ...". Is it in tradeback or just a couple of issues?

Two things Kevin said here are very poignant:

It is a defining moment in the history of the company and a glimpse back at bronze and silver DC Comics, but it's a curiosity at best, not a must-read.

and

but in restrospect it is probably because it was a great experience as it happened, not because it is a great read.

Crisis is a great, epic story for those who have an appreciation and love for the Silver Age DC Universe. The notion of "infinite earths" was the foundation of so many stories during this time, that a shakeup of that status quo was a "can't miss" event. For the Marvel Zombies or those who haven't read many DCs from the '70s and early '80s, the story is fairly meaningless because they can't comprehend the radical change that Crisis caused. For a medium that prides itself on keeping everything close to the status quo, this tale was truly revolutionary. And if you read it first run, it was probably the most exciting thing ever seen in a comic book series.

Alan

893applaud-thumb.gif so FFB and other, KMA! 27_laughing.gif this has been a lively debate and I can see both sides.

BTW I read Crisis when the issues first came out. That might be why I have my perspective. I wasn't a huge DC fan, but definitely started noticing them after the series. They were willing to shake things up.

History of the DCU thumbsup2.gif

It was released originally as two prestige format issues:

3153_4_1.jpg

3153_4_2.jpg

& a single limited edition hardcover (with a bound in poster and additional image plates by various creators:

7779_4_01.jpg

Shortly after it released Crisis as a single tpb DC released a tpb collection of History of the DCU with a new Alex Ross cover. This should be easy to obtain:

1563897989.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just like the covers. I've never even read Crisis. confused-smiley-013.gif

Were you ever able to complete your entire run of Crisis? wink.gif

Tragically, no. As it turns out, I am even now short a few of the harder-to-find issues that I had previously! You see, I had stepped out to buy some new leggings at the local haberdashery, when I bumped into my dear old friend Rory. Well, Rory is quite a gregarious fellow and as a result he is often taken to fits of garrulousness that would cause even the great Nigel Pendergast of Upper Uncton some amount of embarassment! (Hard to believe, isn't it?)

Anyway, whilst in mid-conversation with dear Rory, some young hoodlums ran up behind me and snatched away my satchel... the very satchel, mind you, in which I carry my nearly-complete set of Crisis on Infinite Earths books! Naturally, I screamed and ran in the opposite direction as fast as my dainty pointed shoes would carry me; but what became of Rory, I might never know. He was looking rather pale during the event and he may have passed out, but I cannot say for certain as I was understandably panicked by the vicious assault.

Regardless, I am feeling a bit of the vapors just recanting this story. Needless to say, I am now out some of the hardest-to-find comic books on Earth, and I might need to go have a sit-down on my divan in a moment. I only hope that those scurrilous scalliwags are treating my Crisis on Infinite Earths books with the care and loving attention that they deserve.

By the sheer grace of God I was able to recover the following issues:

This means I am now in the market for the following Crisis On Infinite Earths pamphlets:

If any of you can assist me in locating ANY of these books I would be eternally grateful. I am willing to pay up to 10x the guide price for COMPLETE BOOKS. (They must have the covers, I'm afraid.) I recently had a gentleman offer me his copy of Crisis on Infinite Earths #11 for 13x guide! I kindly refused his offer as that would be the price paid by pimps and whores, and I, gentlemen, am neither a pimp nor a whore.

On this very night, ten years ago, along this very stretch of road in a dense fog just like this. I saw the worst accident I ever seen. There was this sound, like a garbage truck dropped off the Empire State Building... And when they pulled the driver's body from the twisted, burning wreck. It looked like this...

gossip.gif I've been meaning to tell you.... it's a dump truck. gossip.gif

Just so's you know. wink.gif

I loved Crisis when it first came out. I had stumbled into a comicbook store and the owner told me about the series. He offered to get me the back issue and finish the series for only $20 as I recall. I had not read a comic in about 15 years, but this got me hooked. I have been collecting new and old issues ever since.

A LCS was having a signing by Wolfman and Perez. I took about 20 books to have them each sign including a full set of crisis as well as the History of the DC universe in prestige and the Hardcover edition

I just like the covers. I've never even read Crisis. confused-smiley-013.gif

Were you ever able to complete your entire run of Crisis? wink.gif

Tragically, no. As it turns out, I am even now short a few of the harder-to-find issues that I had previously! You see, I had stepped out to buy some new leggings at the local haberdashery, when I bumped into my dear old friend Rory. Well, Rory is quite a gregarious fellow and as a result he is often taken to fits of garrulousness that would cause even the great Nigel Pendergast of Upper Uncton some amount of embarassment! (Hard to believe, isn't it?)

Anyway, whilst in mid-conversation with dear Rory, some young hoodlums ran up behind me and snatched away my satchel... the very satchel, mind you, in which I carry my nearly-complete set of Crisis on Infinite Earths books! Naturally, I screamed and ran in the opposite direction as fast as my dainty pointed shoes would carry me; but what became of Rory, I might never know. He was looking rather pale during the event and he may have passed out, but I cannot say for certain as I was understandably panicked by the vicious assault.

Regardless, I am feeling a bit of the vapors just recanting this story. Needless to say, I am now out some of the hardest-to-find comic books on Earth, and I might need to go have a sit-down on my divan in a moment. I only hope that those scurrilous scalliwags are treating my Crisis on Infinite Earths books with the care and loving attention that they deserve.

By the sheer grace of God I was able to recover the following issues:

This means I am now in the market for the following Crisis On Infinite Earths pamphlets:

If any of you can assist me in locating ANY of these books I would be eternally grateful. I am willing to pay up to 10x the guide price for COMPLETE BOOKS. (They must have the covers, I'm afraid.) I recently had a gentleman offer me his copy of Crisis on Infinite Earths #11 for 13x guide! I kindly refused his offer as that would be the price paid by pimps and whores, and I, gentlemen, am neither a pimp nor a whore.

You sir are a true genius. I love that thing you do. flowerred.gif

Regardless, I am feeling a bit of the vapors just recanting this story.

893applaud-thumb.gif But shouldn't that be "vapours" ? 27_laughing.gif

Ah, but I am from Midwestern England where we have no concept of such frilly spellings and many are known for marrying their siblings.

This is my first visit here, and my first post. Plus I am a total novice to all of this kind of stuff. But I have been collecting comics for years, and today I was reading the newest issue of Playboy, and they had an article about comics, with a nice mention of Crisis #7. It got me curious, so I started searching the net, and found this thread.

Anyway, I have never paid too much attention to collector guides, etc, as I just enjoy collecting comics. I have the entire Crisis on Infinite Earths set, and am curious what it is worth. Major Khaos said he would pay up to 10x guide price. Which guide is he referring to? I did do a quick internet search, and issue one is apparently worth $20, and issue 7 is $25. Does this mean that he would pay up to $200 or 250 for these issue? Or is there another price guide he is referring to?

Steve