• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

I drooled over this comic for years, but by the time I could find a copy, it was already too expensive. I was finally able to make a deal with Vinnie from Metro at the 2012 NYCC(I traded a Wonder Woman #1 for it; sorry, Pons!).

captainamerica74001.jpg

I remember seeing this up on ComicConnect wishing I could afford it at the time. :(

I lost out on another copy a few months back on eBay too.

I drooled over this comic for years, but by the time I could find a copy, it was already too expensive. I was finally able to make a deal with Vinnie from Metro at the 2012 NYCC(I traded a Wonder Woman #1 for it; sorry, Pons!).

captainamerica74001.jpg

I remember seeing this up on ComicConnect wishing I could afford it at the time. :(

I lost out on another copy a few months back on eBay too.

I'm sure another one will turn up. It's rare, but not quite as rare as once thought.

[font:Times New Roman] :applause: Awesome books & stories, Larry (Keep'em comin', folks!). (thumbs u

Initially I posted scans of 10 favored books in my collection and a bit about why each is special to me, leaving the door open to tweaking that list. My vision for the thread wasn't to focus so much on numbers or grade, but rather the reasoning behind why certain books are special to us.

There's always room for more favorite books and it's pretty clear that everyone enjoys reading the stories behind why something we collect is special.

In that spirit, here are two overlooked favorites:

These stand-out books were acquired at the same SDCC several years ago. In good conscience I just couldn't separate these rambunctious twins so they were left off my initial faves list...

d73ace72-64b5-4a90-bc90-3a638a9ddc42_zpsa8cbc4c5.jpg4f366eaa-6dde-416f-8164-a815f542ef20_zpsdcc077b6.jpg

Maybe MOAR later... :insane: >>>>> th_Cat_Animated.gif >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> th_Cat_Animated.gif

[/font]

Another great cover. I used to look at this one in the Famous First Edition of Batman 1, and wondered why the cover matched a story in that book. First Clayface, and has an ad for Batman 1.

detective40001jpgorigin.jpg

Great choice! One of the best Robin covers imho,and the splash page is excellent too.

I haven't been around much this year, though this is always my favorite spot on the Boards. Love seeing threads like this, and really have to give it up for a lot of the material posted. Simply awesome stuff. :applause:

So, I'll play along and find a handful of books to post.

My first offering is a fairly hard to find early GA book, featuring a fantastic, and for the time of its publication, controversial, Alex Schomburg cover. Afterall, while we often associate Nazi's "getting there's" on GA covers, there weren't many brazenly getting smacked down in 1940. But perhaps even more startling then the cover, is the fact that the interior contains an American Eagle story that has the Japanese committing a full scale naval and aerial attack on Pearl Harbor A FULL YEAR before it actually happened. Truly, an amazing and darkly prophetic look into a war that would consume the World like nothing before, or since.

In fact, I love this book so much, I somehow ended up with two copies, including the legendary Larson.. The practical reality is that I probably won't keep both, but they are still pretty cool to have.

q0zpejZ.jpg

s10Yn8z.jpg

[font:Times New Roman] :applause: Awesome books & stories, Larry (Keep'em comin', folks!). (thumbs u

Initially I posted scans of 10 favored books in my collection and a bit about why each is special to me, leaving the door open to tweaking that list. My vision for the thread wasn't to focus so much on numbers or grade, but rather the reasoning behind why certain books are special to us.

There's always room for more favorite books and it's pretty clear that everyone enjoys reading the stories behind why something we collect is special.

These stand-out books were acquired at the same SDCC several years ago. In good conscience I just couldn't separate these rambunctious twins so they were left off my initial faves list...

d73ace72-64b5-4a90-bc90-3a638a9ddc42_zpsa8cbc4c5.jpg4f366eaa-6dde-416f-8164-a815f542ef20_zpsdcc077b6.jpg

Maybe MOAR later... :insane: >>>>> th_Cat_Animated.gif >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> th_Cat_Animated.gif

[/font]

These two books have the Jive Seal of Approval. (thumbs u

Maybe MOAR later... :insane:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

These two books have the Jive Seal of Approval. (thumbs u

The Ciorac seal of approval too. I love these two books and Cat's copies are stellar.

I deleted the cat gifs from the reply though, as I am not fond of cats. Except for Cat Conrad of course, I am a huge fan of his

:cloud9:

I haven't been around much this year, though this is always my favorite spot on the Boards. Love seeing threads like this, and really have to give it up for a lot of the material posted. Simply awesome stuff. :applause:

So, I'll play along and find a handful of books to post.

My first offering is a fairly hard to find early GA book, featuring a fantastic, and for the time of its publication, controversial, Alex Schomburg cover. Afterall, while we often associate Nazi's "getting there's" on GA covers, there weren't many brazenly getting smacked down in 1940. But perhaps even more startling then the cover, is the fact that the interior contains an American Eagle story that has the Japanese committing a full scale naval and aerial attack on Pearl Harbor A FULL YEAR before it actually happened. Truly, an amazing and darkly prophetic look into a war that would consume the World like nothing before, or since.

In fact, I love this book so much, I somehow ended up with two copies, including the legendary Larson.. The practical reality is that I probably won't keep both, but they are still pretty cool to have.

q0zpejZ.jpg

s10Yn8z.jpg

Yeah, you probably don't need both. Just let me know which one you want me to take off your hands...

Another great cover. I used to look at this one in the Famous First Edition of Batman 1, and wondered why the cover matched a story in that book. First Clayface, and has an ad for Batman 1.

detective40001jpgorigin.jpg

Great choice! One of the best Robin covers imho,and the splash page is excellent too.

I love the whole story. One of the best early Batman tales, as good or better than anything in the previous issues. I think Kane and Finger may have peaked with the Clayface story in this book and the two Joker stories in Batman 1. Great, great stuff.

It is no secret that Batman #1 always has been, and always will be, my favorite comic book. In my opinion it is the greatest comic book of all time.

I can't tell you how many copies of this comic I've owned over the years, but it has been quite a few. The times when I didn't own one, I pined for one.

A month or so ago a friend approached me about selling him my 8.0 EP copy. I really wasn't interested in selling it, but he really wanted it. His offer kept increasing until I just couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

Now, I was happy with the price, but sad I no longer had a copy. Three days later I walked into a local comic shop and bought some nice golden age from the owner of the store. I mentioned to him how sad I was that I sold my copy of Batman 1, and he was shocked that I had sold it. He asked me if I would be interested in buying his copy as he and I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Short negotiations later, I walked out with this beautiful 7.0 MP. I think it is one of the nicest looking copies I have owned. The red in the logo is by far the reddest I've ever had. I think the book is undergraded and may resubmit it

The iPhone picture in no way does this book justice

Anyway, here is the love of my comic life :cloud9::luhv:

batman1new_zps8b753888.jpg

It is no secret that Batman #1 always has been, and always will be, my favorite comic book. In my opinion it is the greatest comic book of all time.

I can't tell you how many copies of this comic I've owned over the years, but it has been quite a few. The times when I didn't own one, I pined for one.

A month or so ago a friend approached me about selling him my 8.0 EP copy. I really wasn't interested in selling it, but he really wanted it. His offer kept increasing until I just couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

Now, I was happy with the price, but sad I no longer had a copy. Three days later I walked into a local comic shop and bought some nice golden age from the owner of the store. I mentioned to him how sad I was that I sold my copy of Batman 1, and he was shocked that I had sold it. He asked me if I would be interested in buying his copy as he and I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Short negotiations later, I walked out with this beautiful 7.0 MP. I think it is one of the nicest looking copies I have owned. The red in the logo is by far the reddest I've ever had. I think the book is undergraded and may resubmit it

The iPhone picture in no way does this book justice

Anyway, here is the love of my comic life :cloud9::luhv:

batman1new_zps8b753888.jpg

:o(worship) now thats a nice book!

I could bore you all with copies from my D. Tracy collection as those are the next most beloved comics in my collection, instead I'll post these again.

For those who know me well, know that the last 5-10 comics added to my collection are always my favorite (other than Batman 1 of course lol )

worldsfairset_zps2555beb4.jpg