• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAP. AMERICA #100 CLUB: CLOTHING OPTIONAL

99 posts in this topic

These days there's clubs for practically everything. You've got your Hulk #181 afficionados....your TMNT #1 connoisseurs....etc. With all the Marvel movies and media interest within the last few years you'd think that this silver aged gem would have at least a few closet admirers.....

Much to my surprise there wasn't already a club or thread devoted to this key issue. I invite you to post your treasured copies here. Pull up a couch and enjoy. Clothing is optional. Psychedelic drugs are mandatory.

I give you my opening volley for America's favorite hero du jour:

Captain_America_CGC_9_8_1039676002_resized.jpg

Can i be a part of this group too? Japanese Edition released in 1975.

20131016_185352_zpscc68d38e.jpg

lol....ah-so grasshopper....you certainly can join this rag-tag group of Cap fans with your Japanese edition! We don't discriminate....but you'll have to bring enough sake for the whole class.... :):golfclap:

BTW: I gotta say this is a pretty impressive group for the first day of the club. Great to see the turnout so far!!!

These days there's clubs for practically everything. You've got your Hulk #181 afficionados....your TMNT #1 connoisseurs....etc. With all the Marvel movies and media interest within the last few years you'd think that this silver aged gem would have at least a few closet admirers.....

Much to my surprise there wasn't already a club or thread devoted to this key issue. I invite you to post your treasured copies here. Pull up a couch and enjoy. Clothing is optional. Psychedelic drugs are mandatory.

I'll have to take a picture of mine when I get home so I can join this club.

But as to the above comic, WOW!

It just boggles my mind that a comic this old (and not just this comic but older ones as well) can acheive a 9.8. I mean this comic is three years older than I am and I sure as hell wouldn't receive a 9.8.

I'll have to take a picture of mine when I get home so I can join this club.

But as to the above comic, WOW!

It just boggles my mind that a comic this old (and not just this comic but older ones as well) can acheive a 9.8. I mean this comic is three years older than I am and I sure as hell wouldn't receive a 9.8.

:roflmao:

i agree with you. I guess this 9.8 was not moved around alot and "sat" in prison for years on end until it went straight to CGC.

To the owner of the 9.8, are you the original owner or can you tell us what history you know of the book? This book was MADE for CGC, not those ridiculous modern 9.8s which will be of nearly no value in 50 years...yeah yeah yeah dont come at me with the one exception to the rule. there is ALWAYS an exception to the rule

Cap 100 rules. put that in your pipe and smoke it. I dropped a pretty penny earlier this year to a bounty hunter for what may be the only Mexican Edition to exist in United States. Ill drop a pic later

To the owner of the 9.8, are you the original owner or can you tell us what history you know of the book? This book was MADE for CGC, not those ridiculous modern 9.8s which will be of nearly no value in 50 years...

Firstly: Welcome to the club everyone! Very cool additions so far...and of course that poster who has the first appearance of Punisher, Wolverine and the Cap 100 all in one picture certainly has good taste! Way to pick 'em...

Secondly: I wish I could tell you more about the history of my Cap 100. I'm definitely not the first owner of the book. I did purchase it directly from Rube who's another boardie of good repute here. He's always got KILLER comics for EXCELLENT prices. The things I've seen that boy roll out defy description. How he got his hands on this rare and almost nonexistent 9.8 I simply don't know. I'm glad it found it's way into my collection however. :)

Thirdly: That "mouse chew" version isn't shabby at all.....and looks pretty solid excepting the consumed parts. WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Rube picked up his Cap 100 from WWComics. He took a bad hit on that book when he sold it to you ( he had had it listed on the Boards for a while with no takers at his asking price ) :eek:

Link

It was at a time that we were neck and neck in the Marvel SA First Issue race ... I won.

Rube picked up his Cap 100 from WWComics. He took a bad hit on that book when he sold it to you ( he had had it listed on the Boards for a while with no takers at his asking price ) :eek:

Link

It was at a time that we were neck and neck in the Marvel SA First Issue race ... I won.

I'm aware Rube asked for a very nominal amount considering that this particular issue and grade had sold for a record amt. of $9001.00 back in 2011. It still hasn't quite rebounded to that figure yet, but with all these Captain America and Avengers movies planned, it'd be almost unimaginable for it not to set another unprecedented amount in the forseeable future.

Rube as I mentioned before is a stand-up guy. I'm grateful for his opportunity to purchase my Cap 100 and at the same time was saddened by the circumstances that led him to sell it. Even more surprising was that it didn't get sold earlier considering how far off GPA the asking price was.

Anyway, I digress. If anyone ever has an opportunity to purchase practically anything from Rube I'd highly suggest you don't think twice. Almost everything that boy touches is golden and so well priced you'd think it fell off a truck somewhere...lol.

Link

I'm aware Rube asked for a very nominal amount considering that this particular issue and grade had sold for a record amt. of $9001.00 back in 2011. It still hasn't quite rebounded to that figure yet, but with all these Captain America and Avengers movies planned, it'd be almost unimaginable for it not to set another unprecedented amount in the forseeable future.

Rube as I mentioned before is a stand-up guy. I'm grateful for his opportunity to purchase my Cap 100 and at the same time was saddened by the circumstances that led him to sell it. Even more surprising was that it didn't get sold earlier considering how far off GPA the asking price was.

Anyway, I digress. If anyone ever has an opportunity to purchase practically anything from Rube I'd highly suggest you don't think twice. Almost everything that boy touches is golden and so well priced you'd think it fell off a truck somewhere...lol.

Sorry to break it to you but Cap 100 will never go back to 2010/2011 prices. For starters, the amount of 9.8s to have hit the census since then has increased by 15-20 %. There are now 27 copies in 9.8. Even with the advent of the Cap America/ Avengers movie hype, little to no effect was felt on sales prices. I have watched sales prices go from that all-time high ( sold on Pedigree IIRC) drop to 4k.

CGC census numbers in HG will continue to go up ( albeit slowly and that book in 9.8 will stay at 4-4.5k for the longest with a natural tendency to dip slightly lower in the years to come.

Same applies to 9.6 graded copies. I don't follow 9.4 or below.

Still an awesome book though ! (thumbs u

CGC census numbers in HG will continue to go up ( albeit slowly and that book in 9.8 will stay at 4-4.5k for the longest with a natural tendency to dip slightly lower in the years to come.

I'd rather not take the thread in this direction Pete. I do respect your opinion on the matter however. That said, in spite of the precipitous drop previously seen, the most recent sale was $5600 in August. A year prior to that in August another sold for $6000. So I'm not entirely sure a 4-4.5 price range is a guaranteed thing. The last time that was a stable range was between 2006-2008. I agree also that the high grade census has grown, but I don't realistically have any reason to believe it's going to grow by 25% or more in that grade at any point in the forseeable future. Heck, we haven't even seen many folks slab this issue in spite of the extra Marvel exposure. Fact is that even when Rube bought his, there were only 22 on the census in 9.8 and 2 in 9.9. Now there are 25 in 9.8 and still 2 in 9.9.

Anyway, this isn't a speculation on pricing thread. It is an appreciation thread, and you certainly are welcome in the mix.

If you see another 9.8 for 4-4.5K let me know. I'd be interested in acquiring another.