• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper is the New Black . . .

59 posts in this topic

IIRC Amazing Spider-Man (2nd Series) 22 - 29 had some seriously low print runs

I recalled Dr. Strange had a print run which peaked under 30,000 copies, and I seemed to recall they wrote on some magazine it was the lowest. Surprising to hear a Spider-Man print run below those of Dr. Strange… hm

Anyway, I really don’t care about the majority of late copper and especially early modern Marvels, I have a lot of them and most of those aren’t even worth the paper they are printed on.

I don’t care about monetary value: the stories were in the majority just bad, and they went badder and badder – with few due exceptions. Just to prely the OP’s original question, that is.

IIRC Amazing Spider-Man (2nd Series) 22 - 29 had some seriously low print runs

I recalled Dr. Strange had a print run which peaked under 30,000 copies, and I seemed to recall they wrote on some magazine it was the lowest. Surprising to hear a Spider-Man print run below those of Dr. Strange… hm

Anyway, I really don’t care about the majority of late copper and especially early modern Marvels, I have a lot of them and most of those aren’t even worth the paper they are printed on.

I don’t care about monetary value: the stories were in the majority just bad, and they went badder and badder – with few due exceptions. Just to prely the OP’s original question, that is.

That is not the time frame FD is talking about. He is talking about post-96 implosion books. Books that were printed after 60-70% of the comic shops had been put out of business by the speculator driven crash. Of course there is plenty of drek, but, for me, that is the last time the big two put out many consistently good titles.

Those ASM books were very low printed. The Marvels that were really tough to get in that time were those Non Embossed covers like ASM 25 and Thor 25. They were like 12-15K print runs and they made newstands that were even less. That ASM 25 version of that is very undervalued I think. But again it may only appeal to completionists.

The thing to do, of course, is not to "chase" it at all, but let it come to you. Buy the entire collection (and do the work after). Yes, it requires plenty of clean dry storage area and lots of work, but I've never had a collection not pay off. :)

Already happening. BA 12, Man of Steel 17, 18, Superman 75. Spawn 9, Valiant books.

You want some free advice? Double down on 1997-2001 Marvels. You can buy them for literally pennies now - although the prices are climbing - and their time is coming. Miniscule print runs (25,000 for Amazing Spider-Man!) and genuinely difficult to find in grade because of the weird paper.

Aside from BA 12, I think of the books you listed as part of the last gasp of the Copper Age, and not as 90s books per se. I was more referring to the dead period after Shadowman 19. (for some reason, I think of that book as the end of the bubble, probably because I remember seeing stacks of hem in every Johnny-come-lately LCS and card store)

Same thing happened with the Batman #612 2nd print - I can remember two of the owners asking me why I was grabbing all of their copies at cover.

:facepalm:

You wonder why many LCSs go under. It takes an IQ of about 7 and an internet connection to figure out what might be going on in a situation like this.

Already happening. BA 12, Man of Steel 17, 18, Superman 75. Spawn 9, Valiant books.

You want some free advice? Double down on 1997-2001 Marvels. You can buy them for literally pennies now - although the prices are climbing - and their time is coming. Miniscule print runs (25,000 for Amazing Spider-Man!) and genuinely difficult to find in grade because of the weird paper.

Aside from BA 12, I think of the books you listed as part of the last gasp of the Copper Age, and not as 90s books per se. I was more referring to the dead period after Shadowman 19. (for some reason, I think of that book as the end of the bubble, probably because I remember seeing stacks of hem in every Johnny-come-lately LCS and card store)

Not as 90's books? doh!

Those Superman and Spawn books defined the 90's. lol

And for books after Shadowman #19, watch out for the Deadpool titles. He got his own series in the later 90's and those books will also be going up in value.

Same thing happened with the Batman #612 2nd print - I can remember two of the owners asking me why I was grabbing all of their copies at cover.

You wonder why many LCSs go under. It takes an IQ of about 7 and an internet connection to figure out what might be going on in a situation like this.

I constantly ask this question and the only answer I can get it this. Most LCS owners start a shop for love of the hobby not love of profit. They successful ones do both they are just rare.

Which I why I have to spread my buying around now on hot new issues and Copper and Modern back issues. A couple of the owners watch what I grab now and check them out online after. This is why I need to go to Calgary more often, I guess, for new and recent back issues. lol

And then boardies come here to complain that their LCS's are charging e-bay prices on books they wanted to flip. lol

And then boardies come here to complain that their LCS's are charging e-bay prices on books they wanted to flip. lol

lol

I can only hope that copper stuff "takes off". I have tons of that krap. er, I mean, those wonderful books.

Are GI Joe's copper, or are they modern?

The Joe's are usually considered copper.

And they've been up and down value-wise, since they were released. lol Every couple of years they spike, then slowly trend back down, rinse, lather, repeat.

And using Valiant as an example of the industry, their lowest print runs under all universes to no surprise was Shadowman vol. 3, Armorines, etc. The difference is, all of us on the VF boards quickly realized how few they were and aside from flukes, the prices shot up quick.

I think it's fair to say industry-wide that period after the bust had the lowest print runs. It's not surprising, typically after a bubble burst interest hits extreme lows.

I recently passed on a 50 short box collection of Marvel coppers and moderns . . . as I had just purchased a huge DC collection, was busy at work, and would have had to rent (or borrow) a truck to pick it up. Also, my wife would have left me if I filled the garage with 50 more boxes. lol Wishing I'd pulled the trigger (considering the immediate value I've gotten from the DCs).