• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you buy CGC books you like, or for investment?

35 posts in this topic

I see alot of people talking about what books are "hot", and "flipping" books for profit on here. Was wondering how many of you buy CGC books that you love and want to own and preserve the condition of, versus how many people buy cgc books on speculation that they will be able to sell them for more down the road?

Have you ever bought a cgc book that you either dont like or havent read just because Its "hot" right now?

Edited by Meta4

I have never bought a book that wasn't on my want list.So to answer your question yes and no,if you can understand that.

I have never bought a book to flip,only buying books I want in my collection.I also want to see my books gain value too,so yes to investment as well,I guess. (shrug)

Anything that I dont own is on my wants list, I dont care whether its hot or not, I want it :insane:

I also want books that I already have if I can get them in better condition :grin:

I have no interest in selling my under copies :facepalm:

I hate hot books that I dont have, it just costs that much more to buy them :(

I dont care my books go up or down in value, I have nothing for sale :whee:

Anything that I dont own is on my wants list, I dont care whether its hot or not, I want it :insane:

I also want books that I already have if I can get them in better condition :grin:

I like the cut of your jib. (worship)

Mixed bag really. Every submission I send in I send at least one or two from the seven long boxes I have of my personal books. I usually send an order of between 15 - 30 books every month and then there are the months where I go to conventions too where it piles even higher. Most books I purchase are either undervalued in my opinion, or on my personal collection list (which really isn't a list as much as a spreadsheet). The ones not on my personal "keepers" list usually provide additional money to fund the more expensive keepers. Some of those even eventually turn into sales in order to fund whales and so on. The idea is to eventually sell every comic except for a small selection which I will figure out a secure way of displaying and that way I can enjoy them all the time and when it's finally time for me to check out I will donate one to my school, two each will go to my kids and the other five I will instruct my wife how to sell.

If the question is just "CGC" aka graded books, I would advise that there isn't that much room for investment (as opposed to raw books, then grading them - however that is risky).

The graded books I buy are 90% for my personal collection, they are not investment books as I don't see myself selling at a given point (however circumstances change). I hope to keep these for as long as possible.

I know you think like me brother :insane:

Yes,just don't stack your mess up so high. lol

Yes,just don't stack your mess up so high. lol

:acclaim:

Except for me I have to sell under copies. I don't want doubles when I can sell or trade for things on my want list. (thumbs u

I see alot of people talking about what books are "hot", and "flipping" books for profit on here. Was wondering how many of you buy CGC books that you love and want to own and preserve the condition of, versus how many people buy cgc books on speculation that they will be able to sell them for more down the road?

Have you ever bought a cgc book that you either dont like or havent read just because Its "hot" right now?

It should be noted that 'flipping' and buying for 'investment' (i.e. capital appreciation) are two very different things with the same end goal; profit.

Buying an item at under market value and attempting to sell it immediately is an example of 'flipping.'

Buying a book like say AF #15 because you think more collectors will come into the hobby down the road and want to buy this book (thus causing an increase in price due to demand) is 'investing.' This generally involves holding the book or said item for months if not years or more.

Anything I buy goes in my collection no thought of selling, I'll let my wife and kids fight over them when I gone :facepalm:

I buy books I like and try to avoid whats hot. Pretty good with nthe last aspect, last books I bought because they were hot were deadpool 54 and 55, the punisher covers. Everything else, like the DC 3-d covers were on my pull list and i paid less than cover price.

I never buy a book just to flip it, but i have ended up selling/trading 2 slabs, but they always got something better in my mind.

Being a golden age fan, there is SOOOO much good stuff to turn to, Schomburgs, LB Coles. Nedor,Better, Standard Books, Jungle, Good Girl, ect, ect, ect. Unfortunantly I love almost all of it ! so I had to pair down my focus !

I decided to collect 1 Character and do that in 2 ways

Raw for reading

and pedigree for long term value. you can read about it here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7352278&Board=84&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Ditto! :applause:

I have always bought books i like,sometimes CGC and sometimes raw.Buy what you like and not what the market tells you need and must have :)

Edited by comicjack

I started off buying graded books that I liked. Mostly SS books by creators I had little chance of meeting. Now I buy raw and sub. I don't buy for the purpose of flipping, but sometimes my tastes change and I sell a few books to get something I like. I don't buy specifically for the purpose of flipping. Thats too much work.

I buy for the collection. If I happen to end up with undercopies or with something that I don't want, it's put aside for the PIF thread or maybe to sell in order to buy something I DO want. I can't remember the last time I sold something. However, I've recently started feeling the urge to sell off some things that I don't necessarily care about & aren't fitting my collecting focus going forward & using that money to buy keys that are in my focus.