• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you buy CGC books you like, or for investment?

35 posts in this topic

Anything that I dont own is on my wants list, I dont care whether its hot or not, I want it :insane:

I also want books that I already have if I can get them in better condition :grin:

I have no interest in selling my under copies :facepalm:

I hate hot books that I dont have, it just costs that much more to buy them :(

I dont care my books go up or down in value, I have nothing for sale :whee:

Ditto! :applause:

This is me as well.

I buy almost exclusively for investment, but don't buy " hot" books.

I buy whats cold and sell when they get hot. Recently I've been selling early Hank Pym books for stupid money and buying pre-1964 Fantastic Fours at bargain basement prices. Except for #15, which is hot because Mr Pym is in it.

I often buy books for resale.....it helps fund the books I want to keep. I will buy a book that's hot as long as I actually like it...... I try not to carry inventory that I don't want to be "stuck" with. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I buy according to my list, I will not buy just because the book become hot or popular.

This is how I feel and what keeps me focused on my X-Men run and books of interest. Sometimes I deviate, but not often.

I have never bought a book that wasn't on my want list.So to answer your question yes and no,if you can understand that.

I have never bought a book to flip,only buying books I want in my collection.I also want to see my books gain value too,so yes to investment as well,I guess. (shrug)

Absolutely agree!!!

I buy CGC Comics for me, because i like them, but i'm glad to see them increase in value :grin:

I've never bought a book to flip it. In fact, I often like off-the-wall books that are likely to go down in value. (It seems like only keys and main-stream titles really appreciate much when inflation is factored in.)

I don't mind spending money on a hobby I enjoy, but I do consider comic book purchases an expense, not an investment.

I hated when IM 55's started going up because of Thanos in the movies. I was buying them for cheap when I could find them. I own a few and have a couple slabbed. I mainly get the books that I really really like graded, so that when I die my wife will have an easier time selling them off. Especially some of the sketch covers I have had done.

I've never bought a book to flip it. In fact, I often like off-the-wall books that are likely to go down in value. (It seems like only keys and main-stream titles really appreciate much when inflation is factored in.)

I don't mind spending money on a hobby I enjoy, but I do consider comic book purchases an expense, not an investment.

This for me.

Comics have pretty much no intrinsic value. Price is determined entirely by market demand. The market is capricious and I can't even begin to guess what it will demand. It also appears the stuff I like, the market doesn't and vice versa. Great for buying, not so much for flipping or investing. Since physical storage (real estate) is pricey in my area, I'd rather buy and keep stuff I actually like instead of speculating on comics I don't care about in hopes that it might become more valuable in the future.

Both. I try to buy books that I will be happy with, but sometimes when it arrives it just doesn't do anything for me. Then I will flip/trade it. If I can pick up a slabbed book for the price of , or lower than an unslabbed book then I will do so.

Unslabbed books can be a surprise. After getting my butt kicked on a weekly basis I was finally able to score a vg copy of Flash 114. When it came in, I read it and thought "You already have this in an Archive". So I listed it at MCS and it sold for 250% higher than my purchase price. Of course, the opposite has happened as well. But that is what makes it interesting. 

In the past both but anything I'd buy now would likely for investment only, or to flip. Not that I do much of that but as I get older, I want to divest myself of most of what I have, not accumulate more. 

On December 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Azkaban said:

Anything I buy goes in my collection no thought of selling, I'll let my wife and kids fight over them when I gone :facepalm:

Funny how we all assume our wives are going to outlive us LOL !