• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOn+ Maggie Thompson collection in heritate nov auctions

73 posts in this topic

I'm sure there was a circle who were indeed aware that some or all those DDs were coming to market, probably a good portion of that circle are on the Boards.

But I'm missing your statement of "they are smart enough to know it's a possibility." Any book surfacing is a possibility. Furthermore, anyone could be smart enough or dumb enough to say, "its a possibility the Dentist is slabbing all his books tomorrow and than selling them."

Without a doubt many high end collectors abide by, "He who dies with the most toys wins," and will keep topping the gold standard or their best.

Just missing what you are saying or implying and if anything pertaining to absorption or flooding. Sorry (shrug)

Don and Maggie have done so much for our hobby, too much to write about in a very small amount of time. Here's Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Thompson

Joe and Nadia are great people! They run All-Star Auctions. Great art!

As a side note...

I had a blast going through this collection! Maggie and I have been great friends for many years and, even though I am a bit jaded after seeing so many Marvels, Don and Maggie's collection was so cool and fresh, I was still blown away by it. :headbang:

Steve, I'm glad to hear that you were involved in handling the collection--means she was in good hands! I do believe I get the honor of having introduced you to Maggie, although I could be misremembering.

Think on this one for a while however: Back in the CBG days, anytime we published a new price guide, or had any kind of photo shoot for comics, it was always Don and Maggie's collection that the books came from. Check out any of the old Krause Price Guides-those books on the covers, appearing so strewn about for the cover shot, were theirs. I remember Maggie even commenting one time, that every time they pull one of the Silver Age Keys out of the bags and "posed" them for the cover shoots, they get a little worse, not much, but a little.

I, of course, was simply in awe that they had such incredible books, and that they had purchased most of them new, off the stand!

AV #4 9.6 @ 20k final hammer price

Don and Maggie's copy was a 9.2, which went for the strong price of $7,700.

Most of the FFs and JIMs seemed to fetch high prices as well.

I hope Maggie makes alot of money.

But personally, although I check their auction almost every week, I rarely bid on Heritage's auctions due to their high buyer's premium. I'd much rather buy from either clink, cconnect, or ebay. Almost 20% is too much for me.

But personally, although I check their auction almost every week, I rarely bid on Heritage's auctions due to their high buyer's premium. I'd much rather buy from either clink, cconnect, or ebay. Almost 20% is too much for me.

Why don't you just factor the 20% into the bidding price (the website does it for you) and then just bid the total price you're willing to pay? Most books don't end up costing people 20% more.

Why don't you just factor the 20% into the bidding price (the website does it for you) and then just bid the total price you're willing to pay? Most books don't end up costing people 20% more.

That's my experience with HA. Books are under or at GPA when I get them from HA.

That's my experience with HA. Books are under or at GPA when I get them from HA.

Correct...the whole notion that you're paying 20% more, quite frankly, is just a flawed statement.

HA's website clearly displays the buyer's premium for all bidders (on both full and cut bids) and as a buyer, you factor that in. Pretty simple really.

Stop making this complicated. (tsk)

Correct...the whole notion that you're paying 20% more, quite frankly, is just a flawed statement.

HA's website clearly displays the buyer's premium for all bidders (on both full and cut bids) and as a buyer, you factor that in. Pretty simple really.

Look at it this way. If Heritage did not charge a buyer's premium, then you would not be required to factor 20% more $ into your bid. It's still an additional fee charged to the buyer for no other reason than the auction house can do it.

Now that the some of the collection sold, I'm going to be waiting for some of them to show up for sale sometime soon

at softer prices ...

Just like the Billy Wright books.

Now that the some of the collection sold, I'm going to be waiting for some of them to show up for sale sometime soon

at softer prices ...

and the Twin Cities.

at softer prices ...

and the Twin Cities.

Yep! That's why I am waiting until it pops up again for sale so I can snag for less

That's exactly what I do. But with the 20%, almost always the auctions exceed what I'm willing to pay. Much more often I'm able to get my price on clink and cconnect (and ebay). Personally I'd have to think really hard about selling on Heritage. I'd rather the buyers have that extra 20% to bid on my lots rather than it going to Heritage.