• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #

9 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Avengers #4 autographed by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Each one signed it me back when Marvel had their offices on Madison Ave in Manhattan in 1960's. I dropped it off their and later that week it was mailed to me with their personalized signature. I still have the mailing envelope from Marvel to me along with the comic. Does having their signatures to me cause this issue to be more or less valuable?

Thanks

Welcome to the boards!

My understanding of books that are signed without the supervision of CGC staff is that they are graded with a green "qualified" label. This is true even with a certificate of authenticity or proof of signing. Valiant Signature Series comic books serve as a good example here.

The qualified label does not always devalue the book however they are not as valued as the CGC Signature Series where a CGC authorized personnel as witnessed the signature being applied to the book.

For nostalgic purposes you should keep all of the documentation together with the book. A true collector will appreciate that the signature was obtained long before CGC was even a thought in someone's head!

Oh, one last thing. This is not the proper forum for this question. This forum allows you to post pictures or scans of your books for evaluation by fellow forumites. This question would probably be more suited for the "Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues" forum.

But I certainly hope this information is helpful and informative. You may want to try re-posting?

Welcome once more! :)

Just curious if a signed book is worth more or less if it has been signed to a specific person.

Thanks

Depends on the buyer. Some won't care if it's personalized, more probably will care. Having it personalized will likely narrow down the number of potential buyers, but may not adversely affect the value for the buyers who remain.