• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christmas Comic Con 2 (Windsor, ON, Canada) December 1st, 2013

18 posts in this topic

I'll be set up at this show, so I'm hoping some boardies from Windsor, ON and area can make it. Toronto boardies, this'll be a 4 hour drive. US boardies close to the border might consider making plans to cross and pay a visit.

If you wanted to stay over on November 30th, there is a special promo for a hotel right close by.

Using promo code COMICCON - you'll get a TWO-ROOM HOTEL SUITE for only $95 PER NIGHT that sleeps four comfortably (including a King Size bed - and - pull-out sofa bed in the adjoining room)! For $4 more ($99) you can get a King, a Queen, and a pull-out couch.

Quality Suites

250 Dougall Ave, Windsor, ON N9A 7C6

519-977-9707

I had the best books by far. :acclaim:

I just called a few friends who were at the show and the comment to remember was "this andy guy from the boards just brought some brilliant books"

Hope the show went well!

Would love to see pictures that don't have furries in them!

The show was good and not so good.

I think the promoter did a fine job, the layout was pretty good, $50 tables, decent attendance, and overall fairly well run.

The biggest problem was that this was Windsor, Ontario, and for the most part, this city is not exactly booming.

At the end of the show, I sold a customer a pair of low/mid grade ASM 3 and 4 for $650. This guy pops in my shop once a month so I could have sold him those anytime, really. Aside from him, all I sold were $1, $2, and $3 books. I came back with seven boxes fewer than when I started, so that's good, but that was it for sales. I think I may have sold four books for around $10 each and two others for around $50 each. So, in that regard, awful.

Having a decent display of golden age, silver age, plus keys was great, but not selling one book from that display tells me the clientele were not there to spend money. Many were shocked to see comics priced at more than $100 and I had to educate over ten different people on third party (CGC) grading.

I was please with my new logo design and the banner design that Dr. Balls set me up with. He also created some pretty simple long box signs as well. The nice thing about all of that was that my booth screamed professionalism and drew a hell of a lot of people over. My wall displays were akin to a museum display, where everyone seemed very impressed.

I did give away a whack of business cards and I have at least two collections that will be coming to London for me to see.

So, sales-not so great....advertising/networking/becoming known-excellent. (thumbs u

I think the promoter did a fine job, the layout was pretty good, $50 tables, decent attendance, and overall fairly well run.

The biggest problem was that this was Windsor, Ontario, and for the most part, this city is not exactly booming.

At the end of the show, I sold a customer a pair of low/mid grade ASM 3 and 4 for $650. This guy pops in my shop once a month so I could have sold him those anytime, really. Aside from him, all I sold were $1, $2, and $3 books. I came back with seven boxes fewer than when I started, so that's good, but that was it for sales. I think I may have sold four books for around $10 each and two others for around $50 each. So, in that regard, awful.

Having a decent display of golden age, silver age, plus keys was great, but not selling one book from that display tells me the clientele were not there to spend money. Many were shocked to see comics priced at more than $100 and I had to educate over ten different people on third party (CGC) grading.

I was please with my new logo design and the banner design that Dr. Balls set me up with. He also created some pretty simple long box signs as well. The nice thing about all of that was that my booth screamed professionalism and drew a hell of a lot of people over. My wall displays were akin to a museum display, where everyone seemed very impressed.

I did give away a whack of business cards and I have at least two collections that will be coming to London for me to see.

So, sales-not so great....advertising/networking/becoming known-excellent. (thumbs u

Sounds like a far cry from the buyers pushing their wheelbarrows of cash around the Calgary show. Sorry you didn't do better Andy but hopefully those business cards and contacts you made pan out.

Sounds like a far cry from the buyers pushing their wheelbarrows of cash around the Calgary show. Sorry you didn't do better Andy but hopefully those business cards and contacts you made pan out.

The Calgary show is a cash king show! Wow, I can't wait for April!! I'm right around the side from you guys, eh? You could look behind your backdrop and see me. :shy:

Too bad. It sounds like your typical show in an area with relatively low income and a lack of knowledge in the hobby. These are shows where you're better off bringing mostly cheapies and discounted TPBs. Know your target audience and plan accordingly. You'll know better for next time. But, do always bring a few pricier vintage items to display for eye candy, but don't bring boxes full of the stuff, unless you keep it behind the tables. Use your table space for blowing out lower end stuff at these events. Hopefully this will entice some curious folk to make a purchase and hopefully get hooked! :wishluck:

Too bad. It sounds like your typical show in an area with relatively low income and a lack of knowledge in the hobby. These are shows where you're better off bringing mostly cheapies and discounted TPBs. Know your target audience and plan accordingly. You'll know better for next time. But, do always bring a few pricier vintage items to display for eye candy, but don't bring boxes full of the stuff, unless you keep it behind the tables. Use your table space for blowing out lower end stuff at these events. Hopefully this will entice some curious folk to make a purchase and hopefully get hooked! :wishluck:

yep.

I'm a little wiser for next year. (thumbs u

The Calgary show is a cash king show! Wow, I can't wait for April!! I'm right around the side from you guys, eh? You could look behind your backdrop and see me. :shy:

I just started booking my Calgary adventure. :banana:

Glad you're coming back :hellya: