• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Action 252

33 posts in this topic

You really don't need a larger scan to make a guess, you only need them to make a well educated guess. :D Like knowing that the tear on the front cover is a tear and not a wrinkle. A larger scan would have most likely made this apparent without having to ask the owner. The larger scans also allow for more accurate grading which is why this book would most likely not get a grade above 4.5 (at least according to the grading guides)

Any way if people want to get their books graded then they should provide decent size scans. And if we can encourage the newer forumites to do so I think we should. :slapfight:

Again, I disagree with you just like the marker on the Avengers #1. As it has been discussed here multiple times about how big scans over emphasize the problems and sways grades downward.

Other board members have done breakdowns with how most boardies on the PGM on the average under-grade overwhelmingly to CGC and big scans helps perpetrate this under-grading in the PGM.

Look up past grading contests or enter them when they come around and learn how CGC grades books instead of your guides.(They are not the standard anymore)

Maybe you will be closer on your grade guesses than the ones you have given out lately on books that have come back from CGC.

Just one more thing. Why did your grade on the book switch from a 3.5 to no higher than a 4.5?

Funny how a lot of the CGC graded books come back with some high scores and everybody's jaw drops at the grades received. Maybe everybody is entitled to their own opinions? Did you ever stop to think CGC gets it wrong sometime?

I myself prefer the larger scans along with some descriptive detail on the book. After all we are only grading from a scan and not the book in hand.

I didn't change my grade. What I said was that missing pieces along with the amount of defects on a book would not grade above 4.5 when you proposed a possible 5.0. If there are standards and they keep changing then I guess they are really "standards" then are they?

Just the way I see it any way! hm

Just like you saw the marker on the Avengers #1. :facepalm:

Why is it that I can't have my own opinion?

Why is it I can't ask for larger scans?

Why is it that you can't just shut the f#@& up and allow people to enjoy this thread?

Just curious question, is CGC treat books older than 1960 easier on the grade, in this case the superman 252, than other SA books (after 1960)?

I'm afraid to give an opinion for fear of being chastised for having one!

But I would say that yes they treat older books with more leniency. (Only my opinion) :fear:

Just curious question, is CGC treat books older than 1960 easier on the grade, in this case the superman 252, than other SA books (after 1960)?

But I would say that yes they treat older books with more leniency. (Only my opinion) :fear:

You are correct to a degree. All depends on age and in some cases the physical size of the book.

Older golden age books are closer in size to magazines and are graded accordingly. Factor in the production methods and you have a slight GA curve.

Just like you saw the marker on the Avengers #1. :facepalm:

Why is it that I can't have my own opinion?

Why is it I can't ask for larger scans?

Why is it that you can't just shut the f#@& up and allow people to enjoy this thread?

Again, I am not the one asking boardies to do something that is not needed when they have a decent sized scan up already. I’m trying to let people enjoy this thread by not being hassled for bigger scans when theirs are appropriate in size.

You are the one that is acting immature and saying bigger scans are needed when they are not.( Just because you like your scans giant.) hm

You can have your own opinion, but it does not mean that it is correct or the right thing to do.

You are correct to a degree. All depends on age and in some cases the physical size of the book.

Older golden age books are closer in size to magazines and are graded accordingly. Factor in the production methods and you have a slight GA curve.

(thumbs u

Thank you both!

Boy, was I shocked to see 4 pages on this thread when I re-checked it tonight! :o

Re: Size of the scans. I didn't post a larger size mainly because ... well .... I couldn't figure out how to even if I'd wanted to. I'm somewhat of a tech imbecile at times, this being one of them. :tonofbricks: FWIW, the size scan I ended up with is pretty close to what I've seen presented by a number of sellers in the Marketplace, so for a general opinion, I didn't think it would present a problem for people looking to comment. That being said, I take no offense to people asking for or suggesting I provide larger scans to make more informed comments -- the more you know, right? :foryou: (and I definitely won't ignore anyone who wants to tell me via PM what I'm doing wrong when I try to enlarge them on Photobucket).

Re: Sending the book to CGC. I've sent two books -- both newer -- to CGC, and neither of them were mine (A NM #98 and Wolverine mini #1, both belonged to a friend). I have a number of older books I'd like to send at some point, but haven't decided on which ones to begin with -- this one I would guess is a candidate. If I do go that route, I'll be happy to share what the grade comes back at.

And, before I forget, thanks again for anyone who chimed in with a grade. (thumbs u