• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
25 25

2,899 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, CHodges said:

Older dude with his original comic collection. Picked up a few books in my 20's, but mostly what I have are Silver Age. Fondly remember going to one particular used book store in a bad part of town that offered 2-for-1 comic trades, so I would go in regularly and trade my Archies and Richie Rich-type books for any Marvel I could get my hands on. While I'm doing a lot of studying to try and improve my grading ability, it's safe to say most of my collection is in the 2.0-6.0 grade range. I'll probably start weaning out some of my stock, because I wouldn't want to leave that chore to either of my kids (although one of them is into other collectibles and would probably enjoy it). I'm looking forward to learning from the people on these boards and tapping into all the resources the site offers. 

Welcome to the boards.  There are a lot of us who hung out at used book stores back in the day looking for SA comics.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, CHodges said:

Older dude with his original comic collection. Picked up a few books in my 20's, but mostly what I have are Silver Age. Fondly remember going to one particular used book store in a bad part of town that offered 2-for-1 comic trades, so I would go in regularly and trade my Archies and Richie Rich-type books for any Marvel I could get my hands on. While I'm doing a lot of studying to try and improve my grading ability, it's safe to say most of my collection is in the 2.0-6.0 grade range. I'll probably start weaning out some of my stock, because I wouldn't want to leave that chore to either of my kids (although one of them is into other collectibles and would probably enjoy it). I'm looking forward to learning from the people on these boards and tapping into all the resources the site offers. 

Awesome!

Welcome to the boards! No rush and glad it can still bring you some fun :)

On 11/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, CHodges said:

Welcome!!:cheers:

On 12/2/2021 at 6:56 AM, horrorfan said:

I'm an older guy that has recently gotten back into the hobby. I collected Fantastic Four when I was younger but these books have become very expensive so I'm mainly collecting horror magazines and DC horror from the seventies.

There is a magazine section of the boards, you'll feel at home for sure. Welcome to the Boards :) 

On 12/2/2021 at 5:56 AM, horrorfan said:

I'm an older guy that has recently gotten back into the hobby. I collected Fantastic Four when I was younger but these books have become very expensive so I'm mainly collecting horror magazines and DC horror from the seventies.

Welcome!!:cheers:

I've been reading and collecting comic books off and on for 35 years, since I was seven years old. Got a decent collection, aiming for quality over quantity with back issues but still like to follow a new story arc here and there. Primarily hero books in my collection, but branching out more and more to independents in the last 10 years. Spider-man, X-Men, Batman, Swamp-Thing, horror (especially bronze DC), Science Fiction, Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Frank Frazetta (Famous Funnies, anyone?), Jack Kirby, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, etc. Don't have the money for pre-code horror or GA, but have a ton of respect for it!

Message boards are so 1995, but that's a good thing in my book. Hope to have some time to post here and spread some love. It's not so easy to find things and navigate around, so give me some time to get the lay of the land.

Also, I post some of my high grade raw collection with some fun anecdotes over on Instagram username= Landerians_Fire

Look forward to the banter! Thanks

On 12/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, Landerian said:

I've been reading and collecting comic books off and on for 35 years, since I was seven years old. Got a decent collection, aiming for quality over quantity with back issues but still like to follow a new story arc here and there. Primarily hero books in my collection, but branching out more and more to independents in the last 10 years. Spider-man, X-Men, Batman, Swamp-Thing, horror (especially bronze DC), Science Fiction, Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Frank Frazetta (Famous Funnies, anyone?), Jack Kirby, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, etc. Don't have the money for pre-code horror or GA, but have a ton of respect for it!

Message boards are so 1995, but that's a good thing in my book. Hope to have some time to post here and spread some love. It's not so easy to find things and navigate around, so give me some time to get the lay of the land.

Also, I post some of my high grade raw collection with some fun anecdotes over on Instagram username= Landerians_Fire

Well welcome to the "boards" lol 1995 and all.

There is a please grade my-forum for scans of raws to estimate grares

There is a newbie forum

And ages and mags and etc.

You'll find it all!

Again welcome. :)

On 12/13/2021 at 3:37 PM, Landerian said:

Welcome to the boards!!

:cheers:

Hi Everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

First started seriously collecting as a kid in the 80's around the end of Secret Wars I. Up until then, I bought a few books here and there, but Secret Wars I was the books that turned me into a monthly buyer. Spent my allowance on books until I got a car, then slowly phased out. Stopped buy all together around ASM 287. Yea..... Thanks a lot Todd!!!!!!! Talk about timing.

As a kid I loved Marvel, especially Spider-Man, X-Men and Alpha Flight. Loved DC Green Lantern and odd books about Animal Super Heroes that talk like Captain Carrot, Spider-Ham and THUNDERBUNNY.  You may recognize that last one from The League of Regrettable Superheroes. At one time, I was the proud owner of the single Highest Grade CGC 9.6 copy of Charlton Bullseye #6, First Appearance of THUNDERBUNNY. But I see there are 5 total copies on the census now. Hi Fellow THUNDERBUNNY fans! All 4 of you.

I wouldn't do much with comics for the next 20 years until I had a daughter. As much as I loved talking bunnies, I was really hooked on talking dogs. Especially one Mr Scobbert Doo. I loved rewatching all the classic Scooby Doo's cartoons with my daughter and discovering new one's. At some point, I decided I wanted to pick up collecting comic books again, but this time I wanted to be a bit more focused. Based on our shared love of Scooby Doo, I thought I'd do this with my daughter. I saw that Scooby Doo's Gold Key series only had 30 books. I thought how hard could it be to find 30 really nice copies of a nearly 40 year old comic series (now almost 50) about a talking dog that 2+ generations grew up on. Sigh, 10+ years latter and I'm 5 books away from having a fully graded set. I've been outbid so many times by some of you folks that I'm surprised I found 25 of 30. I did manage 1 solo high grade book Gold Key Scooby book and I'm on the registry now. Woohoo! Thanks for the hand me down grades as you upgraded your copy. Sheesh, tough crowd.

As an older collector, I've been lucky enough to pick up a few grails like a single wrap from AF15. I mean, geez, it's not like I could afford all those Gold Key Scooby Doo's and a pristine copy of AF 15.

Along the way, I took my daughter to meet Stan Lee (RIP), made a few friends that loved collecting as much as I do and discovered that I love reading modern sci-fi and fantasy comic series.

Image and Veritgo back issues are my go to for reading now with all their awesome sci-fi/fantasy series, but my heart still beats like that kid from the 80's who loved Spider-Man, Chris Claremont's X-Men and dreamed that one day the 53,247 copies of Darker Image #1 I stashed away would make him a gazillionaire.

PS If you're a THUNDERBUNNY fan and would like to join the elite ranks of 4 other CGC 9.6 fans, shoot me a message. I can't promise it'll be cheap, but I may consider selling. ;-)

On 12/17/2021 at 4:36 PM, NoChance said:

First started seriously collecting as a kid in the 80's around the end of Secret Wars I. Up until then, I bought a few books here and there, but Secret Wars I was the books that turned me into a monthly buyer. Spent my allowance on books until I got a car, then slowly phased out. Stopped buy all together around ASM 287. Yea..... Thanks a lot Todd!!!!!!! Talk about timing.

As a kid I loved Marvel, especially Spider-Man, X-Men and Alpha Flight. Loved DC Green Lantern and odd books about Animal Super Heroes that talk like Captain Carrot, Spider-Ham and THUNDERBUNNY.  You may recognize that last one from The League of Regrettable Superheroes. At one time, I was the proud owner of the single Highest Grade CGC 9.6 copy of Charlton Bullseye #6, First Appearance of THUNDERBUNNY. But I see there are 5 total copies on the census now. Hi Fellow THUNDERBUNNY fans! All 4 of you.

I wouldn't do much with comics for the next 20 years until I had a daughter. As much as I loved talking bunnies, I was really hooked on talking dogs. Especially one Mr Scobbert Doo. I loved rewatching all the classic Scooby Doo's cartoons with my daughter and discovering new one's. At some point, I decided I wanted to pick up collecting comic books again, but this time I wanted to be a bit more focused. Based on our shared love of Scooby Doo, I thought I'd do this with my daughter. I saw that Scooby Doo's Gold Key series only had 30 books. I thought how hard could it be to find 30 really nice copies of a nearly 40 year old comic series (now almost 50) about a talking dog that 2+ generations grew up on. Sigh, 10+ years latter and I'm 5 books away from having a fully graded set. I've been outbid so many times by some of you folks that I'm surprised I found 25 of 30. I did manage 1 solo high grade book Gold Key Scooby book and I'm on the registry now. Woohoo! Thanks for the hand me down grades as you upgraded your copy. Sheesh, tough crowd.

As an older collector, I've been lucky enough to pick up a few grails like a single wrap from AF15. I mean, geez, it's not like I could afford all those Gold Key Scooby Doo's and a pristine copy of AF 15.

Along the way, I took my daughter to meet Stan Lee (RIP), made a few friends that loved collecting as much as I do and discovered that I love reading modern sci-fi and fantasy comic series.

Image and Veritgo back issues are my go to for reading now with all their awesome sci-fi/fantasy series, but my heart still beats like that kid from the 80's who loved Spider-Man, Chris Claremont's X-Men and dreamed that one day the 53,247 copies of Darker Image #1 I stashed away would make him a gazillionaire.

PS If you're a THUNDERBUNNY fan and would like to join the elite ranks of 4 other CGC 9.6 fans, shoot me a message. I can't promise it'll be cheap, but I may consider selling. ;-)

Charlton  :x

@Get Marwood & I

Welcome to the Boards.

There is at least a few scooby snackers and lovers here, one guy gets artists to do mash ups and parodies in sketch covers!

On 12/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, NoChance said:

Welcome!!! :yeehaw:

Welcome to the boards @NoChance. There's some great Image and Vertigo material out there just waiting for you. Do you like retro 'family team' books, but done with a modern twist? Then try hunting down an Image series called Dynamo 5. It's a brilliantly creative series that isn't afraid to upend well-established comic tropes, and does so in very inventive ways. It's also a very fun book, with GREAT costume designs done by now-Marvel artist Mahmud Asrar. I'd recommend it for anyone on these boards longing for the old days with a more contemporary feel. It really does hit the spot. On the off choices any stores still have the first trade paperback for sale at retail, it's $10US for the first 7 issues, a very good deal. 

But anyway, welcome aboard, hope you find the place useful and the people friendly, and of course the information to be trustworthy. 

On 12/20/2021 at 12:35 PM, Extrovert said:

I'm Wes,

I'm a big-time Marvel geek who collected heavily in my teens and pretty much quit paying attention once I started college. Fast forward to the Marvel movies and their affect on values, and I've found that my younger self was one hell of a good investor. I'm also shocked at how well preserved I managed to keep these comics for the past 40+- years, through many moves, and kids who are now in their twenties. I've just dipped my toes into slabbing, and have 20 books at CGC right now, after having them cleaned and pressed. The bug has bitten me once more. I was a web-head more than anything else, and managed to put together a nice early run of ASM. Glad to be here and I look forward to talking comics with you all. Cheers!

Welcome Back.

And welcome to the boards, hope the ones at cgc come back welcomed by you, and may the be what you expected! :cheers:

On 12/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, Extrovert said:

I'm Wes,

I'm a big-time Marvel geek who collected heavily in my teens and pretty much quit paying attention once I started college. Fast forward to the Marvel movies and their affect on values, and I've found that my younger self was one hell of a good investor. I'm also shocked at how well preserved I managed to keep these comics for the past 40+- years, through many moves, and kids who are now in their twenties. I've just dipped my toes into slabbing, and have 20 books at CGC right now, after having them cleaned and pressed. The bug has bitten me once more. I was a web-head more than anything else, and managed to put together a nice early run of ASM. Glad to be here and I look forward to talking comics with you all. Cheers!

Welcome aboard!!! :yeehaw:

Hello all, its my first day here and I'm from Singapore. I have no clue whatsoever as to how any of this works but hope to read all the guides provided in the forum to have a better understanding of it. I hope i would be able to submit my first (or a couple) for the upcoming George Perez's Private Signing in time :smile:

On 12/30/2021 at 1:51 PM, fatneko said:

Hello all, its my first day here and I'm from Singapore. I have no clue whatsoever as to how any of this works but hope to read all the guides provided in the forum to have a better understanding of it. I hope i would be able to submit my first (or a couple) for the upcoming George Perez's Private Signing in time :smile:

It can seem daunting and cumbersome. There is a newbie and signature forum, so feel free to ask questions so it's not overwhelming. 

Itll be a quick study