• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

I've collected comic books for more than 50 years. I love 'em! My favorites are ECs and The Spirit, but I like all kinds of comics – everything from The Amazing Spider-Man to Little Archie. I have never bought a slabbed comic book, and I never will. What good is a comic that you can't read? Slabbing makes sense for things such as coins, stamps, and gum cards, because they have only two sides! But not comic books!

I did finally figure out why slabbed comic books command a premium price: it's because most people don't know how to grade! They want some "authority" to TELL them what the grade of their item is. But exactly who appointed these "experts" as the ultimate arbiters? How did they attain their exalted position? Do you know? Grading is an art, not a science, and reasonable people can disagree – although they shouldn't differ by more than a half-grade or so, most of the time. But when the difference between a Very Fine grade and Near Mint can be thousands of dollars, it becomes ridiculous. Oh, that little corner bump makes it worth $5,000.00 less? That's insane!!

On 11/25/2022 at 2:43 AM, Big Brother said:

I've collected comic books for more than 50 years. I love 'em! My favorites are ECs and The Spirit, but I like all kinds of comics – everything from The Amazing Spider-Man to Little Archie. I have never bought a slabbed comic book, and I never will. What good is a comic that you can't read? Slabbing makes sense for things such as coins, stamps, and gum cards, because they have only two sides! But not comic books!

I did finally figure out why slabbed comic books command a premium price: it's because most people don't know how to grade! They want some "authority" to TELL them what the grade of their item is. But exactly who appointed these "experts" as the ultimate arbiters? How did they attain their exalted position? Do you know? Grading is an art, not a science, and reasonable people can disagree – although they shouldn't differ by more than a half-grade or so, most of the time. But when the difference between a Very Fine grade and Near Mint can be thousands of dollars, it becomes ridiculous. Oh, that little corner bump makes it worth $5,000.00 less? That's insane!!

Welcome to the boards, you sum it up succinctly, although minor and major restoration was a thing early on, which getting a book slabbed also helps with. Moderns probably not so much.

After years away from comics outside of trades have been slowly building back up my collection. Seen some cool new things since I was last collecting like these private signings. Quite bummed on just missing our T Mac. 

anyways looking forward to chatting books and shooting the breeze. 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:31 PM, JoeBrrr said:

After years away from comics outside of trades have been slowly building back up my collection. Seen some cool new things since I was last collecting like these private signings. Quite bummed on just missing our T Mac. 

anyways looking forward to chatting books and shooting the breeze. 

Ya he skipped last year, but he did do the year before, I wouldn't doubt there being another opportunity. Lord willing and if his writing hand holds up, in hundreds of not thousands of books at this event.

I also wouldn't doubt some coming to market at comfortable prices, there were so many, and if you're comfortable with something less than 9.8. :cheers:

Welcome to the boards!

On 12/12/2022 at 5:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya he skipped last year, but he did do the year before, I wouldn't doubt there being another opportunity. Lord willing and if his writing hand holds up, in hundreds of not thousands of books at this event.

I also wouldn't doubt some coming to market at comfortable prices, there were so many, and if you're comfortable with something less than 9.8. :cheers:

Welcome to the boards!

Oh yeah personally with Signed books of creators I really like ill take a 9.2-9.6 any day for the price. 

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

On 12/13/2022 at 10:34 PM, Fleamint said:

Well, hello, everyone, and I'm glad to be a part of this comune.

Welcome, @Fleamint! How're things? What sort of comics are you into? 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:59 AM, Silvers24 said:

Hey dudes. Comin at ya fuggin old skewl litches. Be hoarding Spidey comics like it was a McD's Gold Card, yo.

Got dat swagger just like Jagger.

Peace, homes.

Lol welcome 🤗😁

Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I’ve been a reader for about a decade but only collecting seriously for about a year. I also draw a bit and tend to like art styles before the Image revolution in the late 80s/90s. My favorite books this last year were Spider-man 2099 Exodus, Do a Powerdrop, The Last Ronin, and the goofy fun of Jurassic League. I Can’t wait to absorb some knowledge from you all. 🤩👍