• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 3:39 PM, Upallnight said:

Just found out about this forum and have been reading a lot of threads.  There is a lot of knowledge here!  I am actually a vintage audio enthusiast and while I hunt for that, some of large extended family have me keep an eye out for them since I do a lot of yard and community sales.  That includes comic books and Magna for the in-laws kids to read, as what I normally find is pretty common but good reading material.  I don't find a ton for them though, it seems folks like to hold on to the comic books!

I ended up here as I recently picked up a stack of 30 or so modern age comics in really good shape.  Mom was holding the sale and said she bought them for her son but he hardly read any of them.  And in there was an NYX #3 with Laura Kinney's first appearance, and I was really surprised to see such a modern comic have that kind of value.  Now I will be keeping a keener eye out when hunting audio gear.  I have a couple of other collections as a result of being out there, as I like the idea that it is stuff I have found.  I could see getting a stash of interesting comics that won't go to the inlaws for consumption!  

Welcome aboard!!! :cheers:

On 8/22/2022 at 11:48 AM, Upallnight said:

The 1200s are damn good.  I am very fond of Technics direct drive tables, they are tanks and just don't quite.  I have picked up ones that looked horrid, lots of "patina" but after dialing in the speed on the strobe they just work.  

I like the story of a Japanese DJ that became huge about 20 years ago. His name was Yoji Biomehanika. He'd mess with the internals of the decks so he could increase the speed from the usual 10% ish right up to 27%. Obviously he knew what he was doing, but it lead to a lot of arguments, as he refused to go on if they didn't let him mess with the house decks in this way, because he couldn't get his sound otherwise. 

It lead to a lot of fractious moments, until club owners saw he wasn't breaking them, and then in turn saw how many people he'd bring in at the door. Then they were fine with it. 

On 9/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, tenebrini said:

I'm introducing myself here. I have mostly a stash from when I was younger. Spiderman X Men from the 80s and 90s and a bunch of other random stuff. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the yet. Reading around in the forums there's a lot I need to absorb. 

Welll cool and welcome, glad you held on! These years there IS a lot coming and going and cgc is busy. Turn around time on moderns (after 1975) aren't too bad at moment 😉 

I’m new here guys! Please check out my competitive and custom sets, especially if you’re into ALEX ROSS! I only collect Signature Series and include front/back photos for all slabs. Thanks 🤙🏻

Competitive: https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=153380

Custom: https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=31786

88796BBD-7709-46D2-8472-7D5229FDB424.jpeg

Edited by David Austin

On 9/6/2022 at 10:38 PM, David Austin said:

I’m new here guys! Please check out my competitive and custom sets, especially if you’re into ALEX ROSS! I only collect Signature Series and include front/back photos for all slabs. Thanks 🤙🏻

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/PublicUserHome.aspx?PeopleID=641467

That's cool :) Alex Ross ss can't be too easy to come by, nice additions, and welcome

On 9/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, tenebrini said:

I'm introducing myself here. I have mostly a stash from when I was younger. Spiderman X Men from the 80s and 90s and a bunch of other random stuff. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the yet. Reading around in the forums there's a lot I need to absorb. 

Plenty of info around here to help you figure out what to do with your collection. (thumbsu

Welcome to the boards!!! 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:38 PM, David Austin said:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/PublicUserHome.aspx?PeopleID=641467

Welcome!!! :cheers:

On 9/7/2022 at 1:50 PM, Ironhart said:

Hey all, I'm Liam. I've been a fan of marvel and stars wars since i was young (8 years old). I've only just started collecting comics this year so I will gladly accept any tips or advice :bigsmile:

Welcome to the boards!! :cheers:

On 9/7/2022 at 2:50 PM, Ironhart said:

Hey all, I'm Liam. I've been a fan of marvel and stars wars since i was young (8 years old). I've only just started collecting comics this year so I will gladly accept any tips or advice :bigsmile:

A fellow across the ponder as @Get Marwood & I and @Redshade welcome :)

Plenty to do with the pence issues or just learning the game, there is a newbie forum amongst the main page, and the more the merrier. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/7/2022 at 9:40 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's cool :) Alex Ross ss can't be too easy to come by, nice additions, and welcome

They’re not! And thank you.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, Galen130 said:

Thanks buddy!

My competitive sets: https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=153380

Custom: https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=31786

Edited by David Austin

Hello, I am a new member here, but I've been in comics for most of my life.

I'm Ethan Van Sciver, former artist at Marvel and DC Comics, with credits on New X-Men, Green Lantern, Flash, and lots of other titles.

I'm now an indie comics creator again, with my crowdfunded comic CYBERFROG.  People consider me to be controversial, I realize that.  I'm hoping to enjoy this message board, follow the rules, and maybe get a few people to try my new comics.

Thank you!

On 9/8/2022 at 12:06 AM, Ethan Van Sciver said:

Hello, I am a new member here, but I've been in comics for most of my life.

I'm Ethan Van Sciver, former artist at Marvel and DC Comics, with credits on New X-Men, Green Lantern, Flash, and lots of other titles.

I'm now an indie comics creator again, with my crowdfunded comic CYBERFROG.  People consider me to be controversial, I realize that.  I'm hoping to enjoy this message board, follow the rules, and maybe get a few people to try my new comics.

Thank you!

Hi Forum Members,

Been submitting to CGC since October '21 and through those experiences, and from much of you here, I am starting to feel like less of a noob. Made many (ok many many) mistakes along the way... (yeah, those three Secret Wars #1 with a 3.0 on the registry, one of those is me... :facepalm: might just de-slab it)

Collected back in the early 90's when I was a teenager for just 1.5-2 years, saved them all, and just started expanding my collection. Wish I collected longer as I went into High School and College... so my recent additions have been those I "should have had all along" like ASM300, more McFarlane's Spideys, more of the Sandman stuff, and Simpsons comics.

My favorites are ASM and Gaiman's Sandman. I thought I was so cool as a 12 year old reading "mature content" and then the fact that some of those came back 9.8 is pretty neat (most came back 9.0-9.4 haha). Recently started re-reading all of them on Kindle.. not a bad price for a compendium if you ask me... and better than spending time playing candy crush or boom beach I suppose (shrug)

Been dealing with a few submission issues like some of you here and there, but largely, I am very happy with CGC, especially the customer service folks. Every single one of them has been so nice and welcoming over email and are happy to promptly get my issues all fixed up. Kudos to Dean, Jennifer, and Kailee!!

... had a few signed ones that I did not want a green label on, so sadly, they are stuck for about 2-3 years somewhere else I regret putting my money into .. but I wish CGC offered something to validate unwitnessed sigs. What a game changer that would be!!! Oh well, live and learn. That's enough said about that.

I check these boards almost daily now since the atmosphere is pretty good overall, I like the mods control of some threads that require it, and I love the banter...  some of you do make me laugh, especially when you are all trying to "one-up" each other for the snarkiest reply and meme ;-p.

I might reply here and there... I'm a spreadsheet nut, so I track all my subs with my estimates of grades, expected TAT, actual TATS, cert numbers, EVERYTHING... so I have a good sense for the TATs and what not and where I made my mistakes and where I got nice bonus surprise grade jumps.

Thanks for reading! Have a great weekend!

On 9/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, circuitryusa said:

Hi Forum Members,

Been submitting to CGC since October '21 and through those experiences, and from much of you here, I am starting to feel like less of a noob. Made many (ok many many) mistakes along the way... (yeah, those three Secret Wars #1 with a 3.0 on the registry, one of those is me... :facepalm: might just de-slab it)

Collected back in the early 90's when I was a teenager for just 1.5-2 years, saved them all, and just started expanding my collection. Wish I collected longer as I went into High School and College... so my recent additions have been those I "should have had all along" like ASM300, more McFarlane's Spideys, more of the Sandman stuff, and Simpsons comics.

My favorites are ASM and Gaiman's Sandman. I thought I was so cool as a 12 year old reading "mature content" and then the fact that some of those came back 9.8 is pretty neat (most came back 9.0-9.4 haha). Recently started re-reading all of them on Kindle.. not a bad price for a compendium if you ask me... and better than spending time playing candy crush or boom beach I suppose (shrug)

Been dealing with a few submission issues like some of you here and there, but largely, I am very happy with CGC, especially the customer service folks. Every single one of them has been so nice and welcoming over email and are happy to promptly get my issues all fixed up. Kudos to Dean, Jennifer, and Kailee!!

... had a few signed ones that I did not want a green label on, so sadly, they are stuck for about 2-3 years somewhere else I regret putting my money into .. but I wish CGC offered something to validate unwitnessed sigs. What a game changer that would be!!! Oh well, live and learn. That's enough said about that.

I check these boards almost daily now since the atmosphere is pretty good overall, I like the mods control of some threads that require it, and I love the banter...  some of you do make me laugh, especially when you are all trying to "one-up" each other for the snarkiest reply and meme ;-p.

I might reply here and there... I'm a spreadsheet nut, so I track all my subs with my estimates of grades, expected TAT, actual TATS, cert numbers, EVERYTHING... so I have a good sense for the TATs and what not and where I made my mistakes and where I got nice bonus surprise grade jumps.

Thanks for reading! Have a great weekend!

Well welcome! I have my share of lower census as well, we've all been there, ie Lobo #1 8.0 or star wars #4 4.5 but at least the latter is a 35 center I found for cheap.

It's good to see you not get discouraged, as the run up in prices the last couple of years I'm sure some will be.

Welcome to the boards, we laugh together and enjoy the folly here on comics! We'll mostly haha but it IS Friday hahaha 🤣

I'm Harry. 

Been reading and collecting comics for 40 years.  My all time favorite comic series are the New Teen Titans & Uncanny X-Men. I also loved Batman & the Outsiders and Vigilante. 

I recently am reading classic 90s Valiant & Image.  I also contribute to many new crowdfunding books--for they contain new characters, amazing art & interesting stories plus I enjoy getting stretch goal items like prints & trading cards. 

I'm not that anal about conditions of books (yeah, I know what site I'm on; LOL!)--For I first and foremost a comic book READER.

I love going to flea markets to get classic comics at great deals.  

My favorite artists & writers are: Mike W. Barr, Jim Aparo, Chris Claymount, Joe Sinnett, George Perez, Marv Wolfman, Jim Shooter, Pete Tomassi, Robert Venditti, John Byrne, Bob Layton & Cary Nord [Just to name a few]. 

Favorite Quote:'With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility',(Spider-Man/Stan Lee). 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:32 AM, HarryPalmer69 said:

I'm Harry. 

Been reading and collecting comics for 40 years.  My all time favorite comic series are the New Teen Titans & Uncanny X-Men. I also loved Batman & the Outsiders and Vigilante. 

I recently am reading classic 90s Valiant & Image.  I also contribute to many new crowdfunding books--for they contain new characters, amazing art & interesting stories plus I enjoy getting stretch goal items like prints & trading cards. 

I'm not that anal about conditions of books (yeah, I know what site I'm on; LOL!)--For I first and foremost a comic book READER.

My favorite artists & writers are: Mike W. Barr, Jim Aparo, Chris Claymount, Joe Sinnett, George Perez, Marv Wolfman, Jim Shooter, Pete Tomassi, Robert Venditti, John Byrne, Bob Layton & Cary Nord [Just to name a few]. 

Favorite Quote:'With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility',(Spider-Man/Stan Lee). 

Welcome! Reading is fundamental to the hobby! That's for sure 😃

On 9/12/2022 at 11:32 PM, HarryPalmer69 said:

I'm Harry. 

That's how my collection got so big...I read every comic I bought.  Selling off my collection is the problem now. lol

Welcome to the boards!!:cheers: