• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2023 at 7:56 PM, Kramazeek said:

Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I’ve been a reader for about a decade but only collecting seriously for about a year. I also draw a bit and tend to like art styles before the Image revolution in the late 80s/90s. My favorite books this last year were Spider-man 2099 Exodus, Do a Powerdrop, The Last Ronin, and the goofy fun of Jurassic League. I Can’t wait to absorb some knowledge from you all. 🤩👍

The 2099 book have always been well done, imo, or have certain flair. I'm hoping since reality has always mimicked science fiction, that there are still "new" ideas coming around.

Welcome to the boards! There is a personal art thread here in this section of the forum, I'm not sure which page, although it's here, to post some of your stuff ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/11/2023 at 8:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The 2099 book shave always been well done, imo, or have certain flair. I'm hoping since reality has always mimicked science fiction, that there are still "new" ideas coming around.

Welcome to the boards! There is a personal art thread here in this section of the forum, I'm not sure which page, although it's here, to post some of your stuff ^^

Thanks Adamantium! When I get a bit better I’ll throw some art up for sure. I’m hoping Spider-man 2099’s presence keeps growing and we see a bit more of the 2099 universe too. Steve Orlando did a solid job in my opinion offering both new and old characters in Spider-man 2099 Exodus with single issue stories that managed to further a greater narrative. The new X-men 2099 team in issue #5 was stellar too. Nice to meet you! 👍👍

Edited by Kramazeek

On 1/24/2023 at 2:37 AM, Obseent said:

And now it's time to register and you have to write something. I've been into comics since I was a kid and colicky was one of my main hobbies. 

... Welcome 😁

Hello fellow comic fans!

I was pointed in this direction from Reddit to get some advice on whether it is worth getting some Dark Age comics graded.

Thought I'd say hello before I start bothering everyone with n00b questions.

I buy a lot of new comics for reading, but have been picking up early editions of some classics I enjoyed.

Batman 426-429 I am keen to get graded (depending on others opinions on whether it is worth it) original DC run of Watchmen, and I have been trying to collect all the variants of Batman The Killing Joke (have green and pink in CGC 9.0) as well as 1-6 prints ungraded.

I'll have a read up on etiquette and try to not be too annoying!

Peace X X 

On 2/1/2023 at 11:27 PM, LordDethBeard said:

Hello fellow comic fans!

I was pointed in this direction from Reddit to get some advice on whether it is worth getting some Dark Age comics graded.

I buy a lot of new comics for reading, but have been picking up early editions of some classics I enjoyed.

Batman 426-429 I am keen to get graded (depending on others opinions on whether it is worth it) original DC run of Watchmen, and I have been trying to collect all the variants of Batman The Killing Joke (have green and pink in CGC 9.0) as well as 1-6 prints ungraded.

Peace X X 

Welcome to the forums! There's a couple of stickies at the top dealing with etiquette on the forums if you'd like to read through them, definitely a good idea. And yeah, post away, hopefully you'll have people help you out! 

On 2/1/2023 at 7:27 AM, LordDethBeard said:

Hello fellow comic fans!

Peace X X 

Lol welcome there are also a couple of "noob" ish sub forums to the comics general forum, if you're confident questions are answered there.

Hello, I am a newbie here, but oldy as far as age. Been reading comics since 1960's never started saving them until late 70' - 80's. I had many classics at one time, but as a kid, you don't think about that. I'm hoping to join here and not only verify some of the comics I do have but to connect to other comic fans, young and old.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:48 AM, Wknoles said:

Hello, I am a newbie here, but oldy as far as age. Been reading comics since 1960's never started saving them until late 70' - 80's. I had many classics at one time, but as a kid, you don't think about that. I'm hoping to join here and not only verify some of the comics I do have but to connect to other comic fans, young and old.

Welcome 😀 plenty to go around :cheers:

Hello All!

I've been collecting first edition American picture books for over thirty years, however collected comic books back in the 1960's and 1970's before selling the collection during my Junior year of college. Sigh.

Back in the 1990's - while primarily collecting books - I did pick up some Golden Age comics, mostly Fawcett's (many from Richard @ Bedrock City), and a bunch of other "1990's euphoria" comics from the LCS.

Having retired last March, I decided to sell off the comics so joined CGC in December and have submitted nearly 300 comics (150 Moderns, 50 Silver Age, and 100 Golden Age) over the past 10 weeks and began listing them on eBay. My wife is retiring in 4 years so we've agreed upon a 4 year deadline to sell them.

Since I didn't have enough stock to last me 4 years (she agreed to four years!), I actually bought a couple hundred silver age books last month (mostly D.C. science fiction). So I'll probably be buying here and do not have intentions to sell on this platform.

Edited by Picture*Books

Greetings,

I was a young teen back in the 80's when I first began collecting comics, pops would give me ten bucks allowance and off to the LCS I went. I did not sell any of my comics but did a few trades. After many years collecting comics life happened and a 25 year gap until I strated collecting again, it's still addicting I must say. My first submission to CGC just arrived to the facility yesterday (FF 48) Now the long wait begins. Good luck everyone.

AFX

I don't think I've posted to this thread even though I "joined" back in August, I think, so ... here we go (if I did post in here, then just ignore this post) :

I've been reading these boards on and off for a few years, but recently joined and first participated in a thread about finding the original owner of comics based upon them signing their books (usually as kids).  That always intrigued me.

I "collected" comics as a kid, but really couldn't afford to buy any (my family was too broke), so acquired most of my collection through 2-for-1 type trades.  A portion of my comics are comics I've had since I was in the 4th-7th grades acquired through trades in the 1980s.  I don't think I've ever sold a comic book, but I don't have any pedigree-able collection (far from it). lol.  I briefly decided to collect comics again in 2011'ish (bought Marvel Premiere #1 for about $195 which made me think I was nuts for spending that much money on a comic book at the time).  But since I had done well and was making decent money, thought I'd get back into collecting some comics I remembered from my childhood or that intrigued me.  I still wasn't collecting seriously, but just on and off.  Around 2017 or 2018, I started collecting more modern comics again.  I retired in 2020 and have been spending my time participating in comic auctions here and there for now.

I recently decided to venture into Golden Age, and that's about all I collect now.  I'm infatuated with the cover art of the era, for the most part.  I wish I had gotten into the era a few years ago - things would've been so much cheaper, and some of the comics I'll probably never have could've been acquired more easily.  I'll probably venture a bit more into Silver Age and maybe some Bronze Age stuff I've wanted for a while, but for now, my first love is the Golden Age.  It's caused me to overcome my fear of eBay and actually make eBay purchases. lol.

Anyhoo... howdy...

Edited by Telegan

Where to begin?

I was active on these boards in the early 2000s.(same name: Minutekev). Late last year I decided to get back into collecting - maybe it was my midlife crisis (turned 50 in Sept.) lol.

Anyway, I've been making up for lost time - jumped back into collecting, and have been purchasing the books I've always wanted, but never could afford (selling off some on eBay also). Currently working on a Spidey 100 to 150 run and am nearly done with picking up all of Neal Adams' Batman issues. Also, picking up keys along the way.

I don't know who all's active on here from back in the day....hope some old (board) buddies are still around!

Anyway, it's great to be back! Kev

Edited by minutekev@50
usage

• Administrator
On 2/14/2023 at 11:16 PM, minutekev@50 said:

I was active on these boards in the early 2000s.(same name: Minutekev). Late last year I decided to get back into collecting - maybe it was my midlife crisis (turned 50 in Sept.) lol.

Welcome back.  I have merged the 2 accounts.

Hello all.
Kevin here and I'm as noob as a noob can noob.  I bought a box of Star Wars Marvel comics from my wife's uncle last Summer and I've finally gotten around to sending four issues for pressing and grading.  They are on their way back to me now.  My hope is that I can sell them to knowledgeable collectors who will love them.
I sent in the four issues that I thought would be most valuable (based on a little bit of research) with the plan of using proceeds to grade other copies and sell those.

I'm at a bit of a loss and feeling way over my head so I'll just take this slowly and one step at a time.  Hopefully I'll not ask too many dumb questions and contribute to this community.

Regards,

Kevin

On 2/16/2023 at 11:45 AM, V.Kevin said:

Hello all.
Kevin here and I'm as noob as a noob can noob.  I bought a box of Star Wars Marvel comics from my wife's uncle last Summer and I've finally gotten around to sending four issues for pressing and grading.  They are on their way back to me now.  My hope is that I can sell them to knowledgeable collectors who will love them.
I sent in the four issues that I thought would be most valuable (based on a little bit of research) with the plan of using proceeds to grade other copies and sell those.

I'm at a bit of a loss and feeling way over my head so I'll just take this slowly and one step at a time.  Hopefully I'll not ask too many dumb questions and contribute to this community.

Regards,

Kevin

Peace and Love. Welcome. There is a noob forum, you'll have some time to get them asked and patiently answered, Lord willing :)

For the love of comics.

Hello , New here, havent even lurked LOL , I've got a great friend that told me to check out the boards, Ive been collection comics for some time, but have only been buying older key books of late,My Name is Mike,I have about 20 long boxes of comics, but would like to get down to a more manageable amount and more key issues then complete runs 

On 2/16/2023 at 11:45 AM, V.Kevin said:

Hello all.

Regards,

Kevin

Can never have enough Kevins, Kevin!