• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2023 at 12:26 PM, Weezeemule said:

Hello , New here, havent even lurked LOL , I've got a great friend that told me to check out the boards, Ive been collection comics for some time, but have only been buying older key books of late,My Name is Mike,I have about 20 long boxes of comics, but would like to get down to a more manageable amount and more key issues then complete runs 

Awesome! Welcome to the casienda and keep at it, you'll widdle what you'd like to find here. Asking questions is key :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

STAR WARS! 
Okay, I'm new to this, as stated above.  I have just about all of the STAR WARS comics from 1977 - 198_  
I just received 4 back from CGC today and I want to start selling and using the money to send more to get graded, repeat.

What's the best way to go about selling them?  CGC forum then eBay or Comicbookshop or whatever it's called?
Here's what I got back...
Star Wars #1 30¢ White pages 8.0

#42 50¢ Off-White to White Pages 8.0

#107 75¢ Off-White to White Pages 6.0

#4 35¢ Variant Off-White to White Pages 9.2 signed by Rick Hoberg 

From what I've gathered, the #4 is worth a pretty penny and the others may be in the $200 - $400 range.  Is that about right?

Any help would be appreciated.  

On 2/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, V.Kevin said:

STAR WARS! 
Okay, I'm new to this, as stated above.  I have just about all of the STAR WARS comics from 1977 - 198_  
I just received 4 back from CGC today and I want to start selling and using the money to send more to get graded, repeat.

What's the best way to go about selling them?  CGC forum then eBay or Comicbookshop or whatever it's called?
Here's what I got back...
Star Wars #1 30¢ White pages 8.0

#42 50¢ Off-White to White Pages 8.0

#107 75¢ Off-White to White Pages 6.0

#4 35¢ Variant Off-White to White Pages 9.2 signed by Rick Hoberg 

From what I've gathered, the #4 is worth a pretty penny and the others may be in the $200 - $400 range.  Is that about right?

Any help would be appreciated.  

I too have a #4 35 cent, it's the lowest graded copy. :)

9.2 however definitely sounds the top winner, seemingly the others are thereabouts, I'd be tempted to hold them. And yet there are times to sell, if'n you feel others are more your interests. A kind of go with your gut type thing. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/20/2023 at 7:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I too have a #4 35 cent, it's the lowest graded copy. :)

9.2 however definitely sounds the top winner, seemingly the others are thereabouts, I'd be tempted to hold them. And yet there are times to sell, if'n you feel others are more your interests. A kind of go with your gut type thing. :)

I'm sure I want to sell the collection but, I'm not sure about the best way to go about doing that.  I've already decided to press and grade these 4 issues and from there, I suppose I need to prioritize the rest for another batch of grading.  I'm of the belief that it's more profitable to have them graded as opposed to selling them as raw books.  Is that right in most cases?

Thanks for your reply, btw.  Would it be okay to ask these same questions in the Bronze Comics forum (start a Star Wars collection thread)?

On 2/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, V.Kevin said:

I'm sure I want to sell the collection but, I'm not sure about the best way to go about doing that.  I've already decided to press and grade these 4 issues and from there, I suppose I need to prioritize the rest for another batch of grading.  I'm of the belief that it's more profitable to have them graded as opposed to selling them as raw books.  Is that right in most cases?

Thanks for your reply, btw.  Would it be okay to ask these same questions in the Bronze Comics forum (start a Star Wars collection thread)?

It would be more than welcomed, in confidence to post there, but yes the slabbed grade would net the most profit.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, MCHammerRulz said:

Hello everyone! I am waiting for my first submission to CGC to be accepted by them and am hoping that this will be the beginning of years' worth of slabbing and selling/collecting. 

Welcome aboard! There are some wait times and some things that I pray CGC can straighten out, have a patient hope and it should be fine :) 

Keep that Joy, and I hope that it brings you fulfillment. 

On 3/20/2023 at 3:48 PM, Teforning said:

My love of comics woke up recently, but even so I want to learn more about this world. 

This the season. :)

Con season that is, look forward my friend. Welcome

Hi, I am Nemo252. Been a collector most of my life. In the 90's I got serious collecting some key comics mostly within DC, Valiant and Image. I focused on specialty comic series such as Spawn, Pitt, etc. Now I would like to see what this collection is worth. Planning to use CGC for grading, however it sounds like grading is expensive and I can use some tips on how to optimize grading from more seasoned collectors.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:00 PM, Nemo252 said:

Hi, I am Nemo252. Been a collector most of my life. In the 90's I got serious collecting some key comics mostly within DC, Valiant and Image. I focused on specialty comic series such as Spawn, Pitt, etc. Now I would like to see what this collection is worth. Planning to use CGC for grading, however it sounds like grading is expensive and I can use some tips on how to optimize grading from more seasoned collectors.

Hmmmm that is a tough.

A lot to go into. I'm not sure you would have a lot of 9,8's if it's your childhood collection. They might be high-grade but not specifically 9.8 without a press, which is an added cost, but again, also doesn't always guarantee anything.

That said, there is such a thing as a certain pin point grade that you can send in and if it doesn't grade that or higher, cgc will slab the qualifiers for less send back the rejects. That's called a prescreen and has a 25 book minimum. No THAT said lol for moderns at $25 a book that's a lot of dough for a 25 book min.

To me I'd use your eye and try to find a small batch that you find pleasing and send in a test few. :cheers:

If you're familiar enough with grading, the costs should juve, and yet costs went up twice already last year, that is the rub. It's been a tough market. (thumbsu

Hey all, been a light comic reader over the years, but started reading more heavily with Star Wars in 2015, mostly TPBs. I've always liked the look and concept of CGC slabs, so I recently acquired my first, and now I'm going down the rabbit hole and suddenly I'm approaching double digits, uh oh :bigsmile: The number of variants can get a little crazy, but it's fun, I love the art. Hopefully I can soak up some knowledge and share in the fun here.

Cheers

On 3/28/2023 at 4:41 PM, IcedDog said:

Hey all, been a light comic reader over the years, but started reading more heavily with Star Wars in 2015, mostly TPBs. I've always liked the look and concept of CGC slabs, so I recently acquired my first, and now I'm going down the rabbit hole and suddenly I'm approaching double digits, uh oh :bigsmile: The number of variants can get a little crazy, but it's fun, I love the art. Hopefully I can soak up some knowledge and share in the fun here.

Cheers

Welcome to the boards, mate! May you enjoy your time here, and get the knowledge you're seeking. 

On 3/28/2023 at 1:41 AM, IcedDog said:

Cheers

Welcome! Be a bit careful to collect what "you love", and you shouldn't be steered wrong! :x A lot of people seem to like variants at first, so be wary, but again, if it is what YOU love and suits You then have at it! There is a market for them or just to collect, all good things; however the market has pulsated and fluxed, so keep an eye out for intentions. :) 

Welcome to the boards!

Hi all,

Names Chris. I've been collecting since the days of youth when Secret Wars was on the stands (maybe a bit before when my dad would buy me a comic at our local candy store) or going to the my favorite comic shop ever, Mike's Comic Hut in Queens NYC, which sadly is no longer around. I like comics so much I went to art school to draw and actually work in the industry and do some illustration on my own time. So this CGC thing has always had me interested in turning some of my collection into profit. All those times I thought even I was wasting my money. I have a collections of McFarlane Spider-Mans, Jim Lee X-Men, Spider-Man's first black costume appearances and some more stuff I would like to submit. Glad I found the forums for some advice on how or what to submit for grading.

Look forward to talking with you all.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:41 AM, chriscanianoart said:

Hi all,

Names Chris. I've been collecting since the days of youth when Secret Wars was on the stands (maybe a bit before when my dad would buy me a comic at our local candy store) or going to the my favorite comic shop ever, Mike's Comic Hut in Queens NYC, which sadly is no longer around. I like comics so much I went to art school to draw and actually work in the industry and do some illustration on my own time. So this CGC thing has always had me interested in turning some of my collection into profit. All those times I thought even I was wasting my money. I have a collections of McFarlane Spider-Mans, Jim Lee X-Men, Spider-Man's first black costume appearances and some more stuff I would like to submit. Glad I found the forums for some advice on how or what to submit for grading.

Look forward to talking with you all.

Welcome 🤗 there is a "spare a grade" from on the main pages list, to post scans for us to estimate a grade. Most give feedback of why they grade it the way they do, so it might help give tips and pointers for when submitting to CGC!

There is the appropriately named "newbie" part of the forum for questions, and a whole bunch else, so enjoy!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/30/2023 at 11:02 PM, Nsschenks said:

Hey all! Actually been on here a couple months now, but for some reason never noticed this section before.

Like many in my generation, I collected comics as a kid from around 1993ish to around 2000, before I kind of lost interest (or rather other interests took hold, as they do). Some of my best memories from that time are going to the local LCS in rVA with my brother and snagging the latest Venom or Fantastic Four or whatever crossover story was the flavor of the day.

Occasionally would pick up a comic here and there on a whim for the next two decades, but mostly stuck to reading trades. Fast forward to this year when stumbled across my old beat up collection of worthless (and priceless) 90’s books at my folk’s house. Sparks reignited, etc etc, I finally decided to grade and sell some keys I randomly purchased a decade prior…and thus fell into the wormhole of this community!

Been mostly diving back into trades from my library as far as reading goes, but I’ve always been interested in the collecting and speculating aspects of comics too. The hard part will be deciding what to keep for my PC and what to sell…

Probably more than anyone wanted to know, but regardless, it’s been awesome spending time rooting around these forums! Psyched to spend more time here.

Amen tpb could be were it's at to catch up on stories and art at least. Plenty of books with collections of covers as well, that report a little history. I feel you on 90s drek. I had the baseball card drek from late 80's to 90's when it should have been comics 😂

Hey folks I've been collecting comics for over 40 years and have amassed a collection of nearly 20,000,000 comics on two coasts. Finally getting around to organizing and appraising my collection and looking to get some keys graded as well as buy, sell and trade others. Should have done this a long time ago. Glad to meet everyone.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Hey folks I've been collecting comics for over 40 years and have amassed a collection of nearly 20,000,000 comics on two coasts. Finally getting around to organizing and appraising my collection and looking to get some keys graded as well as buy, sell and trade others. Should have done this a long time ago. Glad to meet everyone.

I imagine cgc right now is saying :flipbait:

Lol jk but welcome of course! I hope you can fund the cgc submissions by selling some raw doubles. ^^

Regardless welcome!