• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, StarV100 said:

I owned a book store with a small comics section from '82 to '86 in British Columbia. At first, all comics came from my paperback book supplier and they were all barcoded news stand comics. In '84 I started selling Direct by affiliating myself with a major dealer in Calgary. My Calgary dealer was a sort of collecting mentor. When he learned of a hot comic, he'd call me and ask me to buy everything the news stand distributor had because he couldn't get enough from Marvel's Canadian printer (I guess). Then he asked me to get all the returns a month or two later. So some were pristine and others, not so much.

What did he ask me to buy in bulk? ASM 252; Thor 337, 338 and 339; Swamp Thing 20. For the Spidey's and Thor's, I actually went to the distribution centre to pick them up (and handle them carefully). Each one I immediately bagged and boarded. My dealer mentor got half of them and I stored the rest in short boxes. 

In 2012, I decided that my 5,000 book collection (both Direct and news stand) was getting unmanageable. I decided to trade 4,000 of the ones of lower value (keeping my Golden Age and news-stand-bought Silver Age books) for a very manageable 30 books of higher value / high grade, all slabbed. Best trades were for an ASM 129 in 9.6; ASM 14 in 8.5; Avengers 2 in 7.5; Haunt of Fear 12 in 7.5; Several 60's JLA, Adventure and Superman in 9.0 to 9.2; plus multiples of 9.8 books like Secret Wars 8; Omega Men 8; Batman 368 and 404 and various 9.6's from Bronze and Copper (mostly X-Men and Avengers). My dream had been to trade the whole lot for a single high grade AF 15 or ASM 1 or Hulk 1, but I couldn't quite make the deal!

UNFORTUNATELY, among the 4,000 I traded away were Thor 338 (54 copies) and Thor 339 (48 copies), all of which were Canadian Price Variants, which in 2012 I didn't know was a thing. But I am left with a small horde of 252's, 337's and Swamp Thing 20's. All in all, 80 CPV's stored in mylites and low acid backer boards for the last 37 or 38 years.

I've just sent 10 of the ASM 252s and 4 of the Swamp Thing 20's, along with one of my nicer ASM 238 (which I did not buy in bulk) -- all CPV's.

I submitted for Quick Press (there may be some thumb marks on the tops of some books), Modern Slow so I'll be looking for them around Labor Day.

Wish me luck!

Good Luck!! Please don't forget to post after pics. :popcorn:

For those of you interested in the history of Variants see what is being released SOON

THE OVERSTREET GUIDE TO GRADING COMICS SIXTH EDITION (2021) Pre-order for April 21st

A History of Publisher Experimentation and Variant Comic Books, 2021 Edition, By Jon McClure

Published within the pages of The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics, Sixth Edition, Jon's newest article updates his 2010 epic about different kinds of variants (which to date marks the longest article ever published in the Overstreet Price Guide — it appeared in OPG #40, p. 1010-1033). The 2021 Edition of Jon's article is a 50+ page variant reference guide complete with an A-Z list of variant publishers and their history, encompassing every known variant published up to 1990. A powerful tool for investors and treasure hunters alike! Take home your copy today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603602682/

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.22.46 PM.png

39 minutes ago, Microchip said:

More CPV goodness, with some strong prices.    A few classic Frank Miller Daredevils, but there's not much love usually for these easily attainable books state side.

Yeah, I was 2nd highest bidder on the Daredevil #227. :pullhair:

I did manage to recently acquire these elsewhere tho:

Daredevil196cgc9.6CPV.jpg

Thor337cgc9.6CPV.jpg

:whee:

56 minutes ago, ramrod44 said:

Yeah, I was 2nd highest bidder on the Daredevil #227. :pullhair:

I did manage to recently acquire these elsewhere tho:

Daredevil196cgc9.6CPV.jpg

Thor337cgc9.6CPV.jpg

:whee:

There was a definite fight out on the 227.

Nice consolation prizes though ;)

7 minutes ago, Microchip said:

There was a definite fight out on the 227.

Nice consolation prizes though ;)

Thank You. :foryou:

I found the cgc 9.6 Daredevil #196 CPV on a comic website for $66! :whatthe: The cgc 9.6 Thor #337 CPV I scored for almost exactly what the 9.2 CPV sold for on CLINK. :acclaim: 

37 minutes ago, ramrod44 said:

Thank You. :foryou:

I found the cgc 9.6 Daredevil #196 CPV on a comic website for $66! :whatthe: The cgc 9.6 Thor #337 CPV I scored for almost exactly what the 9.2 CPV sold for on CLINK. :acclaim: 

Price wise, I would have expected the $400-500 for a 9.6 copy as well!   Thy pop up semi regularly lately, particularly graded in the 9.4 to 9.8 range.

The DD's are like hen's teeth in the CPV's, for a high graded copy.

10 hours ago, Microchip said:

I've managed to secure these three books.  I'm completely elated, three stunning Frank Miller Daredevil books, in top grade, and the fact that they're CPV's is icing on the cake!

They're coming to a very appreciative owner (thumbsu      #notcanada :shy:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 12.26.01 pm.png

One sold on ComicLink yesterday (#188 in 9.8 CPV) congrats if you won. The current ComicLink auction has some very nice Canadian Price Variants ending each night this week, up to including next Tuesday (Some really good ones ending tonight) Prices are all over the place with many below FMV. 

Edited by The_Investor