• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, The_Investor said:

One sold on ComicLink yesterday (#188 in 9.8 CPV) congrats if you won. The current ComicLink auction has some very nice Canadian Price Variants ending each night this week, up to including next Tuesday (Some really good ones ending tonight) Prices are all over the place with many below FMV. 

Agreed.   It's cheaper buying on Clink, then Ebay.  But outside the endless supplies of Thor 337-339, Spidey 252's, the CPV's re inconsistent on the clink.    Though that just reflects the rarity of these books in top grades.

The pricing is jumping all over the place, I was preparing for the worse, and realistically expected DD 188 to hit close to $600.   There was no carry forward in the auction energy from the previous clink auction on these CPV's.   But that could reflect too many other considerations... e.g. guys already spent their money on other books.   I only walked away with a single book from this auction, so my focus was easy.

Just picked this up today. It is one of my all-time top ten favorite stories (Carl Barks' extra long forest fire story) and its a Canadian variant. On top of that, it's in better condition than my US edition, though that needs to be upgraded soon. Differences between US/CAN editions:
1) At bottom, box contains text "C.D.L. Canadian edition 15 (cents)". US edition the text is "This is an action cover! See it move!"

2) Inside front and back covers of Canadian edition are completely white. No text, indicia, or drawings. The US edition has drawings and an indicia on the inside front cover and another drawing on the inside back cover

3) Different page counts. Unfortunately, I damaged the Canadian version getting it back in its razor sharp mylar sleeve, so I'm not taking it out again to count the pages but it looks like 52 pgs/CAN, 96 pgs/US.

4) Canadian version is missing all puzzles and short gags as well as a couple of stories that are present in the US version.

5) CAN version is normal binding, US version is squarebound.

Vacation Parade - Canadian.jpg

On 8/1/2021 at 3:12 AM, paqart said:

Just picked this up today. It is one of my all-time top ten favorite stories (Carl Barks' extra long forest fire story) and its a Canadian variant. On top of that, it's in better condition than my US edition, though that needs to be upgraded soon. Differences between US/CAN editions:
1) At bottom, box contains text "C.D.L. Canadian edition 15 (cents)". US edition the text is "This is an action cover! See it move!"

2) Inside front and back covers of Canadian edition are completely white. No text, indicia, or drawings. The US edition has drawings and an indicia on the inside front cover and another drawing on the inside back cover

3) Different page counts. Unfortunately, I damaged the Canadian version getting it back in its razor sharp mylar sleeve, so I'm not taking it out again to count the pages but it looks like 52 pgs/CAN, 96 pgs/US.

4) Canadian version is missing all puzzles and short gags as well as a couple of stories that are present in the US version.

5) CAN version is normal binding, US version is squarebound.

Vacation Parade - Canadian.jpg

That's a cool book Paqart. I'd love to see a side by side shot with the US version.

You might get more reaction if you posted it here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/42333-show-us-your-golden-age-canadian-comics/page/85/#comments

The Gold crew tend to have better manners too, from what I can see. 

On 8/8/2021 at 8:17 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a cool book Paqart. I'd love to see a side by side shot with the US version.

You might get more reaction if you posted it here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/42333-show-us-your-golden-age-canadian-comics/page/85/#comments

The Gold crew tend to have better manners too, from what I can see. 

Ask and you receive!

VP1 Can US.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, durabill said:

Here's another couple examples where CGC missed that they were CPV's...   

20200229_140908.jpg

20200229_140940.jpg

They have missed every one of the 6 Canadian Newstands I've ever sent in... What gets me is one clearly states Canadian on the book. I also did the submission forms 100% correct.

..SMH

Supergirl_1_Canadian_Newsstand.thumb.jpg.c2c9630cc663d708ea738e288d1e2cb2.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/23/2021 at 1:01 AM, MAR1979 said:

They have missed every one of the 6 Canadian Newstands I've ever sent in... What gets me is one clearly states Canadian on the book. I also did the submission forms 100% correct.

..SMH

Supergirl_1_Canadian_Newsstand.thumb.jpg.c2c9630cc663d708ea738e288d1e2cb2.jpg

I know the confusion and feel the pain lol. 

The two books below were submitted at the same time as the ones above and came back labeled correctly,

It's like a shot in the dark!!!!

20200229_140926.jpg

20200229_141027.jpg

Edited by durabill

In process of scanning my collection and found this among my digests.  Another Canadian Variant that states "Canadian" right on the cover yet not correctly noted by CGC. Not to mention it's actually #34 not #35 which is 2 mistakes by CGC :facepalm:.  #497 is indicated on the cover which is a whole other matter.  This book was graded in 2016 so no relation to recent "issues".

Hannigan was a great cover designer.

BestofDC34c.thumb.jpg.e73a9a314deb92a62c5b5274a22612fb.jpg

Edited by MAR1979