• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Master Comics

26 posts in this topic

How rare are the Mac Raboy issues of this run? I was just curious since I really don't collect golden age books, but if I ever did, I might start with these. What would I expect to pay for 7.0 copies? Very interested in issues #27and #38. Is there any potential for an increase in value on these, or are all Fawcetts dead? Any info would be great.

As far as I know Mac Raboy issues are highly collectable and would command a premium in higher grades...not sure of actual pricing (beyond OS) but I think these particular issues grow in [or at least] retain there value and would be a safe investment.

Think Capt Marvel Jr run is more popular with Mac Raboy collectors. Even copies listed as "classic cover" in Ostreet may still be attainable at raw guide valuation at 7.0 level.

Green Lama also had some choice Raboy swastika or X-mas covers. 1st 6 Master Comics are oversize so u can't get slab-happy with them yet.

Might be a POS but it is my first superhero GA that my Grandmother picked up at an auction about 20 years ago.

Hey! Sometimes factors supercede POS. It is a really fun cover. Very innocent in a way and reflective of a time past. A nice thing to have, especially with the family history!

I'll offer my opinions-- I love that run of Raboy Master Comics, and have purchased most of them on eBay at or just below guide at the G+ to VG+ condition range. 7.0 is usually out of my league for Golden Age.

Someone said that the Cap Jr. series is more prized, but I would disagree. Though both series have fantastic Raboy WWII covers, in general the Raboy interior art is confined to Master Comics up to #42. The art in Cap Jr is either by his assistants, or is made of paste-ups of old Raboy figures in front of new backgrounds done by the Fawcett studio. Recent issues of Roy Thomas' Alter-Ego fanzine discuss this. So for the CGC bragging rights, Cap Jr 9-17 is maybe the equal to Master 27-38, but for Fawcett collectors/readers, I'd guess Master Comics wins.

I think this run of Master Comics is under-valued relative to books from the same period from DC or Timely. Will they ever appreciate? Hard to say. Captain Marvel is now one of the DC icons. It may never carry an ongoing series for any length of time, but every few years creators of the caliber of Jerry Ordway, Mark Waid, Alex Ross, Geoff Johns, and soon Jeff Smith come along to try something with Cap. Therefore the Fawcett heroes will stay somewhat current. The movie-- if it actually gets made-- would not hurt. But the best bet for appreciation in value would be a rise in the collectibility of WWII covers, which many of us have been predicting for some time now. You've picked a prime run of such covers. If you like 'em, I'd say go for it. They are highly unlikely to lose value (particularly in the condition you are after).

Cheers,

Z.