• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

:blahblah: Back on ignore for you. lol

Please do. :applause:

Your comment about comic book dealer's alone should have you on most people's ignore list. :facepalm:

Big draw for me with the Preview is the cover. Love that it's the full Issue 1 color cover in advance. If it were different (a la Absolute Vertigo), or even say a b&w sketch cover of Issue 1, I'm not sure I'd be nearly as interested.

Big draw for me with the Preview is the cover. Love that it's the full Issue 1 color cover in advance

That's exactly why I still wanted to get one, even though I believe #1 should be the official "first appearance." If the show does go forward and is a mild success, it will be interesting to see which book takes the lead. For some reason I'm still not motivated to buy the Absolute Vertigo issue though.

Big draw for me with the Preview is the cover. Love that it's the full Issue 1 color cover in advance. If it were different (a la Absolute Vertigo), or even say a b&w sketch cover of Issue 1, I'm not sure I'd be nearly as interested.

Dane, that is the exact camp that I am in with this one as well. I hate bar codes, period. :sumo:

I'm a visual person and the Preview Format does it for me.

So there you have it. There will naturally be 2 camps. The question is how many will be in the preview camp because it's the one that is MUCH harder to find than the regular newsstand edition...

- bounty

Told ya . . . :grin:

Yep, you did! (thumbs u

It seems like ambitious sellers are capitalizing on the fact that "not many of them are around" and making it seem like this is the true "1st appearance".

I also have a #1, and I agree with you that it should be considered the true "first comic appearance." Seeing the Preview up close I can't help but think it's just a flimsy ad that just happens to be in the shape of a comic book. (shrug)

Yeah - none of those descriptions say that it's only a few pages of the story. They don't talk about it at all - because illuminating what it really is is not going to help their sales.

This topic has come up a lot lately (it's a really old argument) - and I am still pretty vehement in railing against considering Previews or any other non-continuity appearances as "true 1st appearances".

Advertisements are not first appearances. I know that the guy hanging onto $10k in Gobbeldeygook comics will probably scream and yell and oppose it - but while there is no standard definition, it's pretty obvious that fictional characters appearing outside their continuity for the sake of promoting sales on their book is not really an "appearance" at all. It's a promotional advertisement.

Since when does the definition of comic book first appearance state that continuity is the determining factor? For me the rarity of the Preview makes it a more desirable comic whether the market agrees it is the first or not. What we all should be able to agree on is that the color cover of the preview is the first appearance of Jesse Custer anywhere.

Since when does the definition of comic book first appearance state that continuity is the determining factor? For me the rarity of the Preview makes it a more desirable comic whether the market agrees it is the first or not. What we all should be able to agree on is that the color cover of the preview is the first appearance of Jesse Custer anywhere.

I couldn't disagree more. The only "first appearance" I care about is when the character in question actually makes an appearance on the page in the story that is being told.

I don't care about previews. I don't care about advertisements. I don't care about concept sketches or character bios in the back of the book. Or anything else. When the character in question first appears and becomes a part of the narrative is all that matters to ME.

A character's first appearance is ultimately sought after because of that character's significance, importance, and impact on the stories/universe in which they appear. That is why when they first appear on the pages of that actual narrative is what matters. I would like to think that this opinion is held by the majority of the market; to me it makes the most sense.

I understand that plenty of people don't agree with this line of thinking and that's great because it allows me to sell things like Absolute Vertigo to them.