• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear from Bob Beerbohm lately?

784 posts in this topic

Finally, somebody that agrees with me......

Yup. You'll have a hard time finding people who will stick up for him on this board. His past transgressions are well documented here. I've had enough bad experiences with him to not want to deal with him either.

The guy who posted this has ONE POST on this fourm, Bob has been in the business for 40 years...who is this guy????
\

Mitch, post count doesn't mean much. It's pretty clear that he came to this board because Bob used board members for reference.

I can say that I had a very similar experience with Bob after buying a book off him to help replace his hip. It was a year of delays, confusion (only on his part), problems finding the book, remembering who I was, remembering the transaction entirely, and ultimately I had to pick a different book. I know Bob is a nice guy and I believe he has good intentions but I'd never, ever, ever, ever buy a book from him again.

putting up with those shenanigans seems a small price to pay to have the honor of dealing with a guy with such great "stories of the old days."

I know Bob pretty well and would not accept that he's committed fraud like that from a first poster without hearing more. Matthew, if you're real and stung, apologies (please tell us more), but the web invites pseudo personas especially for dung casting.

Sounds like you're one of the few remaining who will tolerate him, Pat.

From what I've experienced, seen, and heard, he has been burning bridges for quite a while now.

Many respected Board members are unfortunately all too familiar with BLB's antics, and frankly the OP's story doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I just went on e-bay to Bob's store, he has 5900+ positive and only 5 neg(one double) transactions.

This poster did not post on that website or complain about the transaction. He claims he waited too late to get a refund??????

One poster vs 40 years????

Steve-

that's part of what makes this scenario too pat. 'Matthew' may know that this is a great place to peddle dirt on Bob. Hell I haven't bought a comic in ten years from Bob or anyone, and I'm usually quiet about many things and certainly don't hope to argue about anyone's experiences. But since I've gone this far I'll say I sold my first GA collection in '69 for peanuts because I knew money was going to take the fun out. when I came back in mid-'80s I bought cool vg Atlas horror for peanuts. So I've never been on the big dough, endless squabbling about grade, trip. I just liked comics. now I collect HC & PB vintage SF (as always): you can get a really cool old pb for $20. So let's just say in this case I'd like to see more specs before a conviction, and I'd otherwise like to politely withdraw without any contests.

not that you were trying to lead me into one and I really like the folk on this board. Goodnight and thanks to all.

but, steve, he's been in the business 40 years!

A legend in his own mind, no doubt!

I'll be darned, BLB does indeed have a Wiki page as the OP (Matthew) asserts. A little research shows that he apparently authored it himself, and also edits away any negative contents as "BlowinNTheWind" (again, as the OP claims).

Absolutely incredible.

FYI, BLB hasn't posted to this forum since being given a strike for calling another Board member a liar and a thief (how ironic), and insinuating a sex act with a horse.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=31&Number=6839973&Searchpage=1&Main=305676&Words=BLBcomics&topic=0&Search=true#Post6839973

At the same time, I heard he was about to be banned from the Houston Comic Collectors group, but I don't know if that eventually occurred or not.

...not that you were trying to lead me into one.

Correct, I wasn't Pat - I have way too much respect for you to even consider trying to initiate a *spoon* contest.

But I've recently been in contact with highly-respected "old time" collectors like D ick Swan (who was in the vehicle with BLB when the infamous car crash occurred back in the 70's), dealer John Hauser, and even our own Yellow Kid (Richard Olson, BLB's former co-author) who all have basically inundated me with unbelievably egregious stories about him over the decades that have just left me speechless (even though they confirmed what I already knew).

It's good to be cautious, yet we are a community and sharing experiences and information is part of the value of this Board. That's not slinging dirt, but a simple exchange of information so that others can make their own judgments.

Right, on my account the part of the story I am not so sure about is the intent - the supposed planned fraud. Maybe, maybe not I don't know but that's not a charge Id make without being awful sure. On the one hand as Mitch has said he's been around a long time, on the other hand his reputation of late is not sterling and it must be said that people sometimes do questionable things when in a financial hole as he claims to be.

Most of the rest, well, I couldn't say but the OP's experience does sound pretty similar to what others have described so frankly it comes across as having the ring of truth. Whether or not its actually true - who knows -but unfortunatley it doesn't sound far fetched, and **that's the sad part. **. One would hope that after 40 years you would have built up a ton of goodwill and have masses of people rushing to your defense. The fact that's not happening here in any volume says something

I'm not trying to fling mud. I'm just stating that he stole from me and giving the information I have of it. $3600. Over 8 months ago now. This is sort of a last ditch effort to do something about it. It was for 341 pulps. Well over 200 of them were argosy from the early 40's (right before they switched to magazine format), so the bulk of them were only valued at 8.00 or so a piece, hence the low number price vs high number pulps. It sounds like about half of you have had reasons to be upset with transactions with him over the last decade or so. To the point that many of you won't consider doing business with him. It's clear that he does this to people. Even if you think my story lacks credence, you can see their is a pattern here amongst yourselves by now. A couple of you have looked up online what you could verify of what I said (like the wiki page) and can see that at least that is true. I can tell you I have ebay feedback of over 22,000 (and would be happy to message you insystem if necessary to verify it's me) but that doesn't really mean much as BLBcomics has a 6000 feedback number on there and like you said has been a member of your community for 40 years. Further I've regularly done business with Dwight in Canada, Rich in Florida (through Sean), Dave Smith of Fantasy, etc, etc. All people most of you should know. I know that Dwight Fuhro is a valued member of your communitry and I ask that if you don't believe any of my story, you send him a pm or give him a call and ask someone you do trust if I'm blowing smoke, or if I'm being honest. I got it that I'm new on here. But I'm honest. And you don't have to take my word for it. - M

Here's proof that there was a transaction and that I sent the money. I realize potentially I could just type the thing up from scratch myself, but unless you work with paypal, I can't really prove that unique transaction id is legitimate. Sorry, I made a mistake on dates. It was May the money was sent. April had been another transaction (for one pulp that he misplaced and the transaction was cancelled on). So it's 6 months, not 7.5 like I had thought.

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 9BS01159T4172452F)

Business Name:

BLBcomics (The recipient of this payment is Unverified)

Email:

beerbohmrl@gmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Contact Information

Customer Service URL: http://www.BLBcomics.com

Customer Service Email:

Orders@BLBcomics.com

Customer Service Phone:

402-459-1709

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount sent:

-$3,600.00 USD

Fee amount:

$0.00 USD

Net amount:

-$3,600.00 USD

Date:

May 31, 2013

Time:

10:13:59 CDT

Completed

Subject:

You have sent $3,600.00 USD to BLBcomics with PayPal

Note:

For 341 Pulp magazines shipped to: Matthew King 712 Main Apt #1 Westbrook, ME 04092 Delivery to be between June 13th and June 17th

Funding Type:

PayPal Balance

Funding Source:

$3,600.00 USD - PayPal Account

matthew, since you have provided the paypal info in a text form, you could just do a screen capture from your email, and post that jpg here....that would alleviate anyone's suspicion that you "created" it yourself... not that I don't believe you, there are too many folks here I trust that have posted they wouldn't do business with bob, even though I have always had smooth deals with him (as others may have too)

but, steve, he's been in the business 40 years!

A legend in his own mind, no doubt!

I'll be darned, BLB does indeed have a Wiki page as the OP (Matthew) asserts. A little research shows that he apparently authored it himself, and also edits away any negative contents as "BlowinNTheWind" (again, as the OP claims).

Absolutely incredible.

FYI, BLB hasn't posted to this forum since being given a strike for calling another Board member a liar and a thief (how ironic), and insinuating a sex act with a horse.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=31&Number=6839973&Searchpage=1&Main=305676&Words=BLBcomics&topic=0&Search=true#Post6839973

At the same time, I heard he was about to be banned from the Houston Comic Collectors group, but I don't know if that eventually occurred or not.

What? insinuating a sex act with a horse. lol

Neigh.......

I've managed to save a screenshot onto my computer of the paypal transaction but have no idea how to post one on here. I tried that email thing, and frankly I must be retarded. But if anyone want a copy of the screenshot, they can pm me their email and I'll send them an email with the attachment. - M

142930.jpg.9776e7644366930ee5fa717ddabb8e89.jpg