• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear from Bob Beerbohm lately?

784 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, I think Flex's hypothesis may be close to the truth.

I did not know Bob prior to this year, and knew little of him other than he was a long time dealer who many on here said good things about.

In response to Bob's thread asking to buy his ebay stuff, I placed a fairly large order with him. I did not ask for a discount but he gave me one. I sent him a check. It took a few email reminders from me, but he ultimately sent me all of the books, and emailed me back discussing his thoughts on some esoteric items, and updating me on his daughter's condition.

He also stated he was struggling to operate his comic business, doing it at night after he dealt with his daughter during the day.

A few weeks later I emailed him asking if certain additional items were still available, that I'd buy them at his asking cost.

He never replied.

I sense the guy never was that organized plus was a bit sloppy at communication. His "crisis" may have made this worse. Whether circumstances led him to give up, not care, I don't know. I doubt his actions were premeditated. And it did cross my mind that should a downturn in his situation occur, my money could be lost.

Not judging the OP's claim, it just seems to me that this is a bad situation all the way around.

Dear Bob,

If you read this, I am, once again, truly sorry for your daughter's illness. I hope you'll be able to get through this very difficult situation. I can't imagine what it must be like to see your child suffer without being able to do much if anything to help, and I have no idea how I would respond to circumstances like that myself. My deepest sympathy.

-- h

Hello,

Usually I do not like to post anything about people on the boards, but when a collector is out $3600.00, is at his wits end, posts for help, and then HIS reputation is being questioned, as well as my name being brought into it, then I have to say something, because this is not right.

Matthews' story is 100% true.

First of all, I have done tens of thousands of dollars worth of transactions with Matt, and he is straight forward and honest, paying up front and immediately, no nonsense.

When Matthew was first thinking on doing the deal with Bob, he (Matt) asked me about it, and I told him that I would ask for the pulps to be shipped first. However, Matt did Bob a favor by buying the pulps, as Bob said that he had a family member that was ill, so Matt got the money to him quickly via Paypal, as he felt bad for Bob and his family situation. Matt has shown all the documentation from this.

Flashback:

Matt told me that during the discussion leading up to the deal, that my name was in some form, used as a reference (unknowingly) by Bob, after Matt mentioned to Bob, that Matt and I had done multiple deals.

.... Thus I am dragged into this mess!!!

I am not a close friend of Matt's, matter of fact, I have known Bob much longer (25 years), and have always enjoyed talking with him, however, this time Bob is in the wrong and needs to make good on the transaction. Matt was frustrated as some of the pulps that he bought were later listed for sale on Bob's website (now granted with this many books..it could have just been an oversight). As I mentioned, I was aware of this incident as it was unfolding, but wanted to give Bob time to repay Matt back or send him the equivalent dollar value in pulps and hoping he would do so. I don't believe that there was any intent of fraud at all, just a family situation and getting behind the "8 ball" so to speak.

This is not a witch hunt on Bob, as I understand that Bob might have fallen on hard times with the health of family members, and I do not wish that on anyone and I feel badly for him, but he needs to at least attempt to have dialogue with Matt (which Matt said has not yet happened), and set up some type of re-imbursement, as Matt is really downhearted and frustrated.

**I think Bob can fix this entire situation with Matt by having dialogue with Matt and working something out, and all will be forgiven.**

Dwight

this from dwight pretty much disposes of the op credibility issue.

Yes it does but there will always be people who will nonetheless continue to enable and make rationalizations no matter what because they only view the buyer's particular situation in isolation, not realizing that this is an established pattern by the seller.

Thanks for posting Dwight - I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.

this from dwight pretty much disposes of the op credibility issue.

Yes it does but there will always be people who will nonetheless continue to enable and make rationalizations no matter what because they only view the buyer's particular situation in isolation, not realizing that this is an established pattern by the seller.

Thanks for posting Dwight - I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.

No it wasn't, for multiple reasons:

1) I was dragged into it

2) Matt is a collector, and was downhearted

3) I really like Bob and have had some wonderful chats with him regarding the

Riley collection.

However, the situation needs to be addressed, and I am sure Bob will work something out with Matt, and the incident will disappear!

Dwight

I am not killing the messenger, all I want is some background info on a first time poster…..with a little explanation . If you said, I did not get my pulps, that is credible but again this is a first time poster…

To begin with 40 years vs one post, I had my doubts, until I was pm'ed and informed that this is truly a real person.

Mitch

I think must have missed my coroborating post.

I have been on the board here for almost a decade, and the Ebay Comics board for many years prior to that.

I am currently having a very similar experience with Bob

I was able to reach Bob by phone in July as I was going to be in Omaha and wanted to meet with him in person. He was unavailable as he was going out of town the time period I was there due to a different situation with another of his children.

The phone number in the thread is still working, but it is to a cel phone that is full and cannot accept more messages.

His website is directed to his eBay store.

In the last few weeks the prices on a some of items had their discount changed from 20% to 21%. Don't think that would happen automatically

At least 1 Item I was looking at was removed from his store in the last few weeks.

While the magnitude of my check is not as large as the OP, it is significant

Jim

Dwight

I think that makes everything very clear.

oh, so if YOU think it's clear now, i guess we all have to think it's clear? have you been in the business 40 years? have you? huh? huh?

She's my daughter

very nice. fyi: among my first editions, as you'll see next year, is a leatherbound copy of the screenplay signed by towne and jack! one of my proudest f.e. possessions.

Dwight

I think that makes everything very clear.

oh, so if YOU think it's clear now, i guess we all have to think it's clear? have you been in the business 40 years? have you? huh? huh?

She's my daughter

very nice. fyi: among my first editions, as you'll see next year, is a leatherbound copy of the screenplay signed by towne and jack! one of my proudest f.e. possessions.

Awesome. I think it's Polanski's best, as frigid as a sacred mass by Victoria.

But the alternative is that Beerbohm has used his daughter's illness to cover business debts he is still struggling with. Essentially, that would fit the definition of psychopathology.

If you run a Toolhaus.org search on past feedback for "blbcomics," there is a long-term pattern of him not following through on transactions. This pattern includes one case where he used his father's cancer as an explanation/excuse. See screenshot. I find it unseemly that a person would use a family member's illness or death as a rationalization for cheating somebody.

142931.jpg.796e2327bc589a571fbe9a6903210c16.jpg

But the alternative is that Beerbohm has used his daughter's illness to cover business debts he is still struggling with. Essentially, that would fit the definition of psychopathology.

If you run a Toolhaus.org search on past feedback for "blbcomics," there is a long-term pattern of him not following through on transactions. This pattern includes one case where he used his father's cancer as an explanation/excuse. See screenshot. I find it unseemly that a person would use a family member's illness or death as a rationalization for cheating somebody.

A woman attends her mother's funeral and meets a perfect stranger. They interact briefly and he disappears. She wants to see him again but no-one can tell her who he is or how to contact him.

After the funeral she goes home and murders her sister.

Why?

This one is too easy for Billy - so let's see who else gets it and how quickly (without help from google)