• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear from Bob Beerbohm lately?

784 posts in this topic

Matthew, welcome to the boards, and I'm sorry to hear of your problems. Thank you for sharing.

I think Bob is extremely disorganized, both business wise and personally. When he posted here about his daughter's health he wanted help and I tried to help him start a thread selling his books to raise funds. He was all enthusiastic, but nothing ever came of it because he couldn't seem to answer twice in a row. I was not going to start something without scans and descriptions and we couldn't seem to get to that point, he kind of floated off somewhere and I decided to back off.

I don't think he's just avoiding you, I don't think he answers many people, even those who are trying to help.

I've had a few friends with much smaller orders not get what they ordered, the items were lost, misplaced, or he had no idea if they were sold before. Again, he was extremely disorganized and when you are disorganized and upset, it's even more of a disaster.

My guess is, that's the major part of the problem ...however, it's a pretty horrid thing for him to do to someone else.

The fact that this has happened to both you and Jim (JMG) makes me sad. I know you used Paypal, but there was an interstate fraud unit set up by the FBI years ago, , I'm wondering if it's still viable? If so, I'd contact them.

In Jim's case if a check was mailed, isn't there a possibility of postal fraud?

Sorry to hear about this Jim... :foryou:

Your Congressman's office might have more recent links.

I did find this link from the FTC, perhaps this would help as well.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=203&Url=%23%26panel1-6

Sorry Dwight. I didn't mean to drag you further into this so much as state the facts on the boards here. When Mmheady started really going on the attack path without letting me explain myself at all, I just defaulted and told everyone to ask you if I'm real. Like I said guys. This guy has stolen from me. To Mmheady your questions 1. Because I like to buy pulps behind the scenes. Most of that 22,000 in feedback is from selling non-pulps. I dont tend to sell them anymore. Most of it is from selling appliances and electronic accessories. I never bothered signing up on the board because I had no reason to talk to any of you. Don't take offense. It's just that I'm introverted. I tend to buy pulps more then I enjoy conversation about them. And I've been aware of the board for about a year and a half. But when you have a guy who has done what Bob does, even though I'm sure Bob will continue down this track and I wont see my money again, I do like to make sure he doesn't do it to other people. Lastly, instead of doing the whole equivocating "claim" thing you seem to be fond of, and is clear that you keep falling back on, why instead of flinging continuing questions at my credibility, why don't you just pm me through ebay. OR call up Bob and ask him. I'm sure he'll at least say something about it, even if he doesn't admit to the transaction (which I've already proven on these boards took place). 2. If you look through the pages of this post, I first copy and pasted a paypal transaction showing the deal, and when that wasn't good enough, I have already posted a screen shot of it again. It shows payment. It shows who it was to. It shows what is was for. Everything you want. Unless you think I have the ability to hack paypal, this question is moot. 3.He said he had misplaced the book and would mail it along with the others. At first the guy was perfect with communication. Courteous. Apologetic. And he loves weaving tales about his woes. When he used the right names for reference (because I did business with them to on a regular basis), I felt there was absolutely nothing to worry about. Basically he traded on his daughter's story, and his three decades old car crash (which sounded as if it happened last week when he told me about it), some sort of nearing surgery for something else that was to save his life (it got confusing here trying to follow him and my eyes glazed over a little) and most importantly some of your reputations, in order to make the deal. And yes he's still selling on ebay. He ignores all my calls, emails, messages through ebay, and texts now. He even changed his number to one where he lets the mailbox get full (but I'm unaware if it's to dodge me, or for other reasons). As a lawyer mmheady (as I'm almost certain you are one at this point by the wording of your texts, even though I know nothing about you), instead of trying to convince the jury of your peer group here that I'm a fishy suspect with eyebrows like Groucho Marx and hunched over like "I spy"., talk to your friend....ahem client. *cough*, and see what he has to say about it? If I seem to be a little harsh at this point, that's purposeful. If you have a question to ask that hasn't already been asked and answered, shoot. I'll do my best to answer it. But continuuing attacks like this should be below you as a mature adult. Thank you for your consideration. - M

Matt, Matthew, M, or Rookie......

If you think you can come into this fourm and post ONE TIME and accuse a 40 year historic collector/ dealer of fraud....a criminal offense....and not get asked some tough questions and then CRYBABY about it in the above post, then you have a lesson to learn ...."Sonny"

Let me begin by saying..".I believe you" ...NOW.... At no time did I attack you on a personal basis, you took it that way because of a lack of experience on this board and the high standard that members' post are held to, But since you are a newbe, and you were not aware of all of the tricksters, pressers, flippers, liars, etc on this board as well as in you life I am gonna give you a pass this time.

Bob is not a friend of mine, but I have know him for many many years and I want to set the record straight as far as I am concerned. He has never stolen, committed fraud or anything else in the dealing that I have had with him in the last 30-35 years. That is a lot of history.

I am not ,however, Bob's babysitter. It appears that Bob needs to "man" up and return the money plus interest or send all the books and still give a refund of some sort for al the trouble he caused you. I hope he does for everybody.

You treated me in your post, like Bob treated you.......less than a mature man...you called it.......time to grow up.... "Sonny"

Sorry Dwight. I didn't mean to drag you further into this so much as state the facts on the boards here. When Mmheady started really going on the attack path without letting me explain myself at all, I just defaulted and told everyone to ask you if I'm real. Like I said guys. This guy has stolen from me. To Mmheady your questions 1. Because I like to buy pulps behind the scenes. Most of that 22,000 in feedback is from selling non-pulps. I dont tend to sell them anymore. Most of it is from selling appliances and electronic accessories. I never bothered signing up on the board because I had no reason to talk to any of you. Don't take offense. It's just that I'm introverted. I tend to buy pulps more then I enjoy conversation about them. And I've been aware of the board for about a year and a half. But when you have a guy who has done what Bob does, even though I'm sure Bob will continue down this track and I wont see my money again, I do like to make sure he doesn't do it to other people. Lastly, instead of doing the whole equivocating "claim" thing you seem to be fond of, and is clear that you keep falling back on, why instead of flinging continuing questions at my credibility, why don't you just pm me through ebay. OR call up Bob and ask him. I'm sure he'll at least say something about it, even if he doesn't admit to the transaction (which I've already proven on these boards took place). 2. If you look through the pages of this post, I first copy and pasted a paypal transaction showing the deal, and when that wasn't good enough, I have already posted a screen shot of it again. It shows payment. It shows who it was to. It shows what is was for. Everything you want. Unless you think I have the ability to hack paypal, this question is moot. 3.He said he had misplaced the book and would mail it along with the others. At first the guy was perfect with communication. Courteous. Apologetic. And he loves weaving tales about his woes. When he used the right names for reference (because I did business with them to on a regular basis), I felt there was absolutely nothing to worry about. Basically he traded on his daughter's story, and his three decades old car crash (which sounded as if it happened last week when he told me about it), some sort of nearing surgery for something else that was to save his life (it got confusing here trying to follow him and my eyes glazed over a little) and most importantly some of your reputations, in order to make the deal. And yes he's still selling on ebay. He ignores all my calls, emails, messages through ebay, and texts now. He even changed his number to one where he lets the mailbox get full (but I'm unaware if it's to dodge me, or for other reasons). As a lawyer mmheady (as I'm almost certain you are one at this point by the wording of your texts, even though I know nothing about you), instead of trying to convince the jury of your peer group here that I'm a fishy suspect with eyebrows like Groucho Marx and hunched over like "I spy"., talk to your friend....ahem client. *cough*, and see what he has to say about it? If I seem to be a little harsh at this point, that's purposeful. If you have a question to ask that hasn't already been asked and answered, shoot. I'll do my best to answer it. But continuuing attacks like this should be below you as a mature adult. Thank you for your consideration. - M

If you think you can come into this fourm and post ONE TIME and accuse a 40 year historic collector/ dealer of fraud....a criminal offense....and not get asked some tough questions and then CRYBABY about it in the above post, then you have a lesson to learn ...."Sonny"

Let me begin by saying..".I believe you" ...NOW.... At no time did I attack you on a personal basis, you took it that way because of a lack of experience on this board and the high standard that members' post are held to, But since you are a newbe, and you were not aware of all of the tricksters, pressers, flippers, liars, etc on this board as well as in you life I am gonna give you a pass this time.

Bob is not a friend of mine, but I have know him for many many years and I want to set the record straight as far as I am concerned. He has never stolen, committed fraud or anything else in the dealing that I have had with him in the last 30-35 years. That is a lot of history.

I am not ,however, Bob's babysitter. It appears that Bob needs to "man" up and return the money plus interest or send all the books and still give a refund of some sort for al the trouble he caused you. I hope he does for everybody.

You treated me in your post, like Bob treated you.......less than a mature man...you called it.......time to grow up.... "Sonny"

This guy gets ripped off to the tune of 3500 bucks, and you have an attitude with him for bringing it up? Sheesh...

Mitch, when you first posted here you were a "rookie" you came on here with posts ablazing...

No one asked you why you waited so long to post.

It really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things...we are not 12 playing in a school yard taunting the "new guy".

He's new, he posted a concern and he's got just as much right to be here as anyone else.

There really is no reason to be so harsh....and if you call me "sonny" I'm going to smack you... :makepoint:

I am not killing the messenger, all I want is some background info on a first time poster…..with a little explanation . If you said, I did not get my pulps, that is credible but again this is a first time poster…

To begin with 40 years vs one post, I had my doubts, until I was pm'ed and informed that this is truly a real person.

Mitch

I think must have missed my coroborating post.

I have been on the board here for almost a decade, and the Ebay Comics board for many years prior to that.

I am currently having a very similar experience with Bob

I was able to reach Bob by phone in July as I was going to be in Omaha and wanted to meet with him in person. He was unavailable as he was going out of town the time period I was there due to a different situation with another of his children.

The phone number in the thread is still working, but it is to a cel phone that is full and cannot accept more messages.

His website is directed to his eBay store.

In the last few weeks the prices on a some of items had their discount changed from 20% to 21%. Don't think that would happen automatically

At least 1 Item I was looking at was removed from his store in the last few weeks.

While the magnitude of my check is not as large as the OP, it is significant

Jim

Sorry to hear about this Jim.....I hope things work out the best for you....it is a shame for everybody. He has such valuable historical info about the beginning of comics....and yet it is down to this...I hope he can make a comeback and set things right......Best, Mtich

I promised to beg off last night , but I agree with Mitch - all we asked for is procedural clarity. But on this board you don't need that with Bob B. Mitch and I are both old enough to respect the old premise of 'innocent till proven guilty'. Bob's history of bad luck, spaciness, and worse doesn't help, but still this case, from a 'first poster' needed some back-up. I don't think Matthew expressed himself perfectly, but being out 3+ Gs does that. So do personal problems and sick kids. Having good knowledge of comics history doesn't give one license to BS, but there are few enough of us that one 'gone to dark side' would be some loss (hope he comes through on this one). With that, my second promise to withdraw, wishing all well. Oh, and,

Hi, Mitch!

Pat

A woman attends her mother's funeral and meets a perfect stranger. They interact briefly and he disappears. She wants to see him again but no-one can tell her who he is or how to contact him. After the funeral she goes home and murders her sister. Why?

(1) The man is a hypnotist. He hypnotizes her into falling in love with him. Then he gives her the suggestion that her sister is an evil alien here to destroy the planet. He runs off, going "tee hee!", and patting himself on the back for his prank.

(2) The woman sees dead people. All the time. He's a dead person and he tells her that he's been spending evenings watching her sister get it on with the woman's husband while the woman is working the late shift at her job in the gag-vomit factory. He says he's sorry but he felt she should know. However, what he really wants is to cause the sister to die because he wants to bone her in ghost-ville.

(3) The man is Michael Biehn and he was sent from the future in an electric bubble. He tells the woman that her sister has been replaced by the T-3000, a killing machine from the Cybernetics Corporation. She goes home and tricks the sister into getting stuck in a hydraulic press by offering her a smoothie made out of AAA batteries and chrome shavings.

Brilliant. You have far too much imagination - I'm happy to say!

[font:Times New Roman]Much cleverer than mine, I must say.

My guess would've been an episode of Perry Mason, The Case of the Missing Beerbohm, with you in the role of Lieutenant Tragg and Straw-Man as Hamilton Burger trying to build a case against an unknown suspect in the disappearance of the alleged victim on re-direct.[/font] hm

The short answer: she is a psychopath.

To reach it, you have to understand how a psychopath thinks - usually by interacting with them in some capacity - or be one. Otherwise it is quite literally unimaginable. A person with a conscience simply cant think that way.

A high percentage of murderers are psychopaths - but proportionately few psychopaths are murderers. (That's more Hollywood.) Many are highly intelligent and become managers, investment bankers, doctors, teachers, lawyers, and so forth and function perfectly well in society by camouflaging their true natures.

And some people just have incipient tendencies that make it hard for them to care about the difficulties they cause to others - because nothing really matters but their own gratification.

And very often such people are "charming manipulators". They are very convincing. They learn very early how to use the emotions of others by imitating those emotions.

One only sees the behavior pattern for what it is when it begins to repeat. The victim struggles to believe what is happening because they have compassion for others. They question their own judgement.

"Dexter" is a chimera because there is no such animal as a compassionate psychopath.

So what's the real answer?

The woman murders her sister in the faint hope that the perfect stranger will turn up at her funeral as he did at her mother's.

Matthew has handled himself with dignity, Mitch.

I'd love to know more of your understanding of what constitutes a "mature man".

Perhaps you could enlighten us further?

Mitch,

Never once was Matt a crybaby, he just stated his case and you went on the attack, even after I PM'd you and shared the facts. You are on your own with this one.

BTW: Not always does it matter whether a person has one post or ten thousand, as it is not the quantity of posts, but rather the honesty, integrety, and intelligence in them.

Dwight