• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting New 52 Batman, worth it?

67 posts in this topic

Just finished reading it and it's terrific. I know this set is pretty difficult to complete. I spotted my first Batman #1 in the wild today for $50 and I'm really mulling over getting it and then finishing the set. I finished off my GL and GLCorps New 52 set today so I need something else to aim for.

wow, I was buying multiple unsold new copies from comic stores as late as last spring for WAY less than that. It's impressive how its the one new 52 comic that can actual retain and gain.

Personally, if you have them all except that one, i'd wait. Someday they will restore the old numbering and it will be much more attainable.

Here's how i think of it.

1.) Is it actually rare:

Print Run: 188500

NO

2.) Is it hard to find in grade

NO

3.) Are the comics before it and after reasonably close in value? Batman 713, Batman 2

NO

4.) Is it old? Sept, 2011

NO

5.) Are it's peers of similar value? Detective, Action, Superman, etc

NO

I just dont think the fundamentals justify the price, its artificially inflated because its the one book from new 52 everyone likes, and isnt selling/dumping. You can list many series like this where the books were super hard to get and valuable and then eventually one day the status quo changes and no one cares any more. (New Avengers, Uncanny X-force, Astonishing X-Men etc)

you could say that about virtually any modern...why buy anything at all other than key golden/silver age.

no, this is different in several ways:

-Batman isnt a new series, character, book, etc

-it's not buying it, but rather paying $50 for it that I am speaking about. In fact i said i bought several last spring (on top of having pulled it when it was new).

One could say your argument is claiming "buy anything, at any price, cause anything is possible"...

Batman is a great book and worth owning, it is two years old and has shown that it is THE new 52 book to have. But, that doesnt change the fact that it is a reboot book, and if the reboot gets rebooted, which SOMEDAY it really will, then based on previous similar experiences, it is my opinion the book will fall far from its highs.

If I was going to spend $50 on a modern, I think there are better ways to spend it (in terms of value). If he just HAS to have it, then pay what you gotta pay....but that wasnt the question.

you could say that about virtually any modern...why buy anything at all other than key golden/silver age.

no, this is different in several ways:

-Batman isnt a new series, character, book, etc

-it's not buying it, but rather paying $50 for it that I am speaking about. In fact i said i bought several last spring (on top of having pulled it when it was new).

One could say your argument is claiming "buy anything, at any price, cause anything is possible"...

Batman is a great book and worth owning, it is two years old and has shown that it is THE new 52 book to have. But, that doesnt change the fact that it is a reboot book, and if the reboot gets rebooted, which SOMEDAY it really will, then based on previous similar experiences, it is my opinion the book will fall far from its highs.

If I was going to spend $50 on a modern, I think there are better ways to spend it (in terms of value). If he just HAS to have it, then pay what you gotta pay....but that wasnt the question.

What other modern would you spend $50 on for that has a better potential for holding its value than Batman #1?

There is nothing from Marvel Now, All New Now, or soon to be All Really New Now.

On the Image front, only WD has the potential to hold its value longer term, but it is more likely to pull back from than continue to rise. Saga is the best of the rest since its rise is fueled by true collector demand rather than TV or movie hype, but it has pulled back in prices from the early 2013 speculative highs. I also expect interest in it to wane as BKV bogs down along the way just like he did with YTLM back in the day.

Is Batman #1 pricey and fully valued at $50 - yes. However, unlike the Image books which saw their prices run up fast due to speculative hype then drop, Batman #1 has slowly and steadily increased in value due to true demand for the book.

Even if there is a renumbering sometime in the future, I see it still retaining closer to that value just like some of the ASM vol 2 books since the demand will still be there. The biggest risk to Batman #1 IMHO is a new creative team that cannot keep up the same level of quality as Snyder/Capullo. Even then, that run will still command a nice premium just like Tec #871 and #880 have continued to do. Quality will always sell at a premium.

I still think there are too many of the #1s for the price to retain the value long term. I've been puzzled by this book more than any other for quite some time. I agree that Batman is the king of the hill but I've also been through the Knightfall and Hush rages. They too were great stories imo and demanded stiff premiums in their day. Batman seems to always move on to the next big thing and I have a hard time believing he will ever be more popular than he is right now thanks to the movie trilogy.

I think the difference in Batman and the Image books you mention is thousands of stories previously told for one character which can still be made interesting versus something completely new and different. The Image stuff has room to grow and characters can have finite lives which in turn brings more excitement to the story for me. Can you imagine Batman having his hand chopped off at the whim of a madman ?

Finally you mention quality when you mention Batman and with Snyder and Capullo on board, you will get no disagreement here but that doesn't mean that Image isn't bringing quality to the table. There is room at the inn for all.

188,000 print run is nothing when you factor in worldwide appeal of Batman, one of the best storyline of the last decade, major key villains, and did I mention one of the best storyline of any moderns?

Most collectors who buy Batman, Spiderman, superman , x-men, avengers, buy them to read. I can't say the same for Saga and many other Image titles. Saga, like other indies, are niche books so print runs really matter. And there are more speculators hoarding these books than there are real collectors.

I'm sure the print run on NM 98 is at least 50% more than Batman and look at what it is doing. The way the trend is for batman, this time next year it will be $100 easily.