• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting New 52 Batman, worth it?

67 posts in this topic

I'm sure the print run on NM 98 is at least 50% more than Batman and look at what it is doing. The way the trend is for batman, this time next year it will be $100 easily.

Yes it is, its also a first appearance....you reply to one part of my message, but ignored the rest.

188,000 print run is nothing when you factor in worldwide appeal of Batman, one of the best storyline of the last decade, major key villains, and did I mention one of the best storyline of any moderns?

Most collectors who buy Batman, Spiderman, superman , x-men, avengers, buy them to read. I can't say the same for Saga and many other Image titles. Saga, like other indies, are niche books so print runs really matter. And there are more speculators hoarding these books than there are real collectors.

I'm sure the print run on NM 98 is at least 50% more than Batman and look at what it is doing. The way the trend is for batman, this time next year it will be $100 easily.

I don't know how you presume to know that most people who buy Saga don't read it. Check out digital sales of Saga and either those people are building an electronic collection for CGC or they are reading. I read all of my comics and don't just read Image. In fact, I read more Marvel and then DC than Image by a long shot. That being said, why would Batman #1 go up if readership doesn't if not for speculation ? I simply stated the facts as they are today. You CAN buy the entire Knightfall run cheaper today than you could buy 492 at one time. Batman 608 and 612 and the entire Hush run are considerably cheaper now than they used to be. That trend was similar to this one for a while.

Comparing New Mutants 98 which is an actual first appearance of a major player to a renumbered series doesn't make any sense to me. Other than the number, what is the significance ? Is it because of Snyder ? He's very good but there have been many before with stories as good. Miller ? Dini ? Morrison ? Starlin ? Loeb ? Moore ? Grant ? You get the idea as that's just the beginning of the list. Capullo is grade A also but the list of great Batman artist include Capullo's mentor. Hard to beat the who's who of former Bats artists like Miller, Adams, Ross, McFarlane, Jim Lee, Kelly Jones, Aparo, Byrne, and the like have all worked on Batman.

Batman is very good and worth reading but if you aren't speculating I would rather spend my money on these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-Batman-TPB-Graphic-Novels-Court-of-City-of-and-Night-of-Owls-New-52-/171154379701?pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item27d99893b5

and read a great story and have enough money to try out some stuff I haven't read like say East of West or The Wake ( by Snyder also very good ) or Letter 44 or maybe 15 books or more for the price of that 1. 2c

What other modern would you spend $50 on for that has a better potential for holding its value than Batman #1?

There is nothing from Marvel Now, All New Now, or soon to be All Really New Now.

apparently you turned this into a DC fanboy thing? I wasn't saying any Marvel Now books would do better. No non-first appearance, non-error, non-artificiallyrarevariant from either of the big two will hold value long term...

On the Image front, only WD has the potential to hold its value longer term, but it is more likely to pull back from than continue to rise. Saga is the best of the rest since its rise is fueled by true collector demand rather than TV or movie hype, but it has pulled back in prices from the early 2013 speculative highs. I also expect interest in it to wane as BKV bogs down along the way just like he did with YTLM back in the day.

WD, Saga, etc, aren't going to be relaunched with new numberings. YTLM is a very good point, or pick any non-big 2 well received series that came to an end. I'm the first to say (and have been saying), there is a large bubble going on. At least 2013 saw it pull back some, but there are lots of non-big 2 books that can be purchased for $50 or less, with much lower print runs, and long term "good story" appeal.

Is Batman #1 pricey and fully valued at $50 - yes. However, unlike the Image books which saw their prices run up fast due to speculative hype then drop, Batman #1 has slowly and steadily increased in value due to true demand for the book.

he asked for peoples opinions, i think $50 is too much, you think its FMV, that's fine. But the point I was making, is that WHEN new 52 ends, and the old numbers come back, it's FMV will get crushed. I cited some Marvel examples, but DC ones exist too. Also, prior to that 188 print run, Batman was running some low numbers. So, just because its batman, doesnt mean its print run is indestructible. If it did, they wouldnt have had to reboot in the first place.

Even if there is a renumbering sometime in the future, I see it still retaining closer to that value just like some of the ASM vol 2 books since the demand will still be there. The biggest risk to Batman #1 IMHO is a new creative team that cannot keep up the same level of quality as Snyder/Capullo. Even then, that run will still command a nice premium just like Tec #871 and #880 have continued to do. Quality will always sell at a premium.

It will definitely retain value, and always be the top dog of new 52. The night of the owls run as a whole, will be like planet hulk, old man logan, etc, where there is big price jump over the books around the high quality stories.

But, LOOK at the other new 52 books. Action, Superman, even Detective, none of them command even close to the price of Batman. Will not Superman have all the same attributes you describe? Even if the story isnt quite as good, how do you justify the difference in price?

My answer, as I eluded to above, is speculative over-valuation. People have decided, Batman is the one to own, and so they are willing to keep paying up for it. If they never renumber it, and it goes hundreds and hundreds of issues long, then yah, $50 might be reasonable. On the flip side, if the whole comic market suffers a huge collapse, $50 will seem like a long distant memory. If the rest of new 52 struggling, cause any sort of renumbering in the near term, same problem imo.

buy the digital copy's in CGC 9.8

i worry about virtual rust, on the virtual staples.... do you know if they are made with virtual stainless steel or not? I figure with the massive margin on digital they can spring the extra coin for higher quality virtual materials.