• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

of 9.9s and such

345 posts in this topic

From all the posting I think there are several things at the heart of this side discussion:

1.) Does a 9.9 or 10 exist OBJECTIVELY, (independent of anyone grading it, existentially speaking)

2.) If 1 is true, can a person recognize it

3.) If 2 is true, would 3 more people employeed at CGC be able to fall under 2 accurately.

I dont want to weigh in, because I respect everybody involved. But this is the heart of what is being debated. These are all great questions, and for sure part of my goal with this thread was to get people talking more in this forum.

But here is the heart of what I was trying to ask:

1.) If you have a book that you feel is a 9.9 (regardless of anything else), would you bother pressing it even though its not 'really' going to change anything. "Just in case" in order to have the best shot of convincing CGC of your correctness, or is it more likely to risk it dropping to 9.8 due to it being observably pressed.

I predicated this on the fact that, pressed 9.9s and 10s occur, and in theory a book could be 9.9 or 10 less a pressable defect, which pressing would restore to its 9.9/10 state, but that these cases were very rare

AND

2.) If you would press them all just in case, do you always press your books. OR if you wouldn't ever press, do you never press your books.

From all the posting I think there are several things at the heart of this side discussion:

1.) Does a 9.9 or 10 exist OBJECTIVELY, (independent of anyone grading it, existentially speaking)

2.) If 1 is true, can a person recognize it

3.) If 2 is true, would 3 more people employeed at CGC be able to fall under 2 accurately.

I dont want to weigh in, because I respect everybody involved. But this is the heart of what is being debated. These are all great questions, and for sure part of my goal with this thread was to get people talking more in this forum.

But here is the heart of what I was trying to ask:

1.) If you have a book that you feel is a 9.9 (regardless of anything else), would you bother pressing it even though its not 'really' going to change anything. "Just in case" in order to have the best shot of convincing CGC of your correctness, or is it more likely to risk it dropping to 9.8 due to it being observably pressed.

I predicated this on the fact that, pressed 9.9s and 10s occur, and in theory a book could be 9.9 or 10 less a pressable defect, which pressing would restore to its 9.9/10 state, but that these cases were very rare

AND

2.) If you would press them all just in case, do you always press your books. OR if you wouldn't ever press, do you never press your books.

I wouldn't bother pressing a book that nice.. because no 9.9 is going to have a flaw like that.

Recently I cracked out a 9.6 Wolverine #1(Ltd series) to send in for Stan Lee SS. when i cracked it out I pressed out the slight cover dent that brought it to a 9.6. Now if I had cracked out a 9.8 and I didnt see any problems on it I probably would not have pressed it.

(It came back 9.8 BTW)

Oh, this is nice. I have pressed a 9.8 to a 9.9, signed a 9.8 to a 9.9 and dropped a slab which was resubmitted to turn a 9.8 into a 9.9. This goes to your 2nd point.

I am fairly certain that having it signed did not correct any defects but I have no idea if pressing the book did either.

The point is nobody would recognize a 9.9/10.0 at such a rate as I would consider them being able to call it.

I have actually proven this a few time with people who think they can call a 9.8. ;)

At the heart of your question is "Does pressing hurt your chances of getting a 9.9/10.0?". If it doesn't then $8 for a quickpress seems a no brainer. This is my logic for my high grade submissions.

Recently there was a 10.0 on a copper key that sold for quite a bit. Reliable sources indicate that this book was pressed by Matt Nelson prior to submission.

All pressers are not created equal. There are two people I would let press a book that I thought was 9.9.

CBT-

Objective standard - yes

Subjective analysis as to how book meets objective standard - yes

Getting three graders to agree with my subjective analysis - difficult

CBT stirring up the mess in the modern forums - hell yes

Recently there was a 10.0 on a copper key that sold for quite a bit. Reliable sources indicate that this book was pressed by Matt Nelson prior to submission.

All pressers are not created equal. There are two people I would let press a book that I thought was 9.9.

CBT-

Objective standard - yes

Subjective analysis as to how book meets objective standard - yes

Getting three graders to agree with my subjective analysis - difficult

CBT stirring up the mess in the modern forums - hell yes

hm

At the heart of your question is "Does pressing hurt your chances of getting a 9.9/10.0?". If it doesn't then $8 for a quickpress seems a no brainer. This is my logic for my high grade submissions.

thank you, that is how I have traditionally felt, and am really jsut trying to get a poll of people's thoughts, before actually acting. I feel like if I am chasing a 9.9 there is no harm, but then I also think about how many people produce naturally, and get squirrel-y about missing out one way or the other.

On a side note, I have owned 9.9s from 4 different sources in my life:

Jeff(indirectly via re-sale),

DRE

Jerry

Midtown

as far as I am aware none have ever been pressed.

Oh, this is nice. I have pressed a 9.8 to a 9.9, signed a 9.8 to a 9.9 and dropped a slab which was resubmitted to turn a 9.8 into a 9.9. This goes to your 2nd point.

I am fairly certain that having it signed did not correct any defects but I have no idea if pressing the book did either.

The point is nobody would recognize a 9.9/10.0 at such a rate as I would consider them being able to call it.

I have actually proven this a few time with people who think they can call a 9.8. ;)

Dang.. where can I go to get this $8 quick press job??

Send it to me. I have an entire set of encyclopedias standing by.

Send it to me. I have an entire set of encyclopedias standing by.

Hahah and how long does that take? 5 years? I said 'quick!'

CCS has an $8 quick press

hm I never knew. Can I incorporate that into my submissions some how? Doesn't CGC own them now?

hm I never knew. Can I incorporate that into my submissions some how? Doesn't CGC own them now?

yeah but it's a 30 book minimum I believe