• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis will begin taking Paypal

23 posts in this topic

If you already accept credit cards, why would you need Paypal? confused-smiley-013.gif

PayPal offers much more risk of fraud and NONE of the protections that a real credit card offers. If you start accepting PayPal, get ready for the chargebacks.

tonofbricks.gif

I sold an FF #1 on ebay in 2003 and accepted a PayPal payment. I sent to the verified address. The buyer left positive feedback.

2 months later, Paypal charged my account back $1,100 because they determined that "an unauthorized user" had used the account. They wouldn't provide any further details... you just have to take their word for it. End of story. No appeals process. No money. No FF 1. 4_2_203.gif

Now, no more Paypal. cloud9.gif

I sold an FF #1 on ebay in 2003 and accepted a PayPal payment. I sent to the verified address. The buyer left positive feedback.

You need to send it to a confirmed address for seller protection against charge backs.

sorry.gif

You need to send it to a confirmed address for seller protection against charge backs.

sorry.gif

I did send to the confirmed address (sorry, initially I wrote "verified"... I meant "confirmed.")

PayPal has MANY loopholes in their Buyer and Seller "Protection Plans."

If most PayPal users bothered to read the fine print in the Users Agreement, they'd be shocked at how little recourse they have in disputes. The PayPal Users Agreement is NOT the "standard old stuff." You are signing away your rights to appeals and arbitration. PayPal is NOT a bank and they don't adhere to the same regulations and consumer protection guidelines that regular banks observe with their credit cards.

www.paypalsucks.com

I think Paypal is great but I never new you could get stung like that. Is this why people stipulate that they will not accept Paypal with a credit card? How long is recourse period for Paypal via credit card and through a bank account?

This is precisely why many sellers now state that they don't accept credit card paymants through Paypal -- the risk of credit card chargebacks.

Here is how it works.

A buyer pays for an auction with PayPal (credit card funded.) PayPal charges the credit card associated with the buyer's account and credits the amount to the seller's account.

Days, weeks or months later, PayPal receives notification from the buyer's credit card company that the charge was unauthorized and the credit card company won't honor the charge. So now, Paypal has already credited the seller and is left holding the bag... PayPal is out the money at this moment. This doesn't last long because PayPal goes back to the seller and charges back the seller's account for the money. So, PayPal eliminates their loss and passes the loss onto the seller.

So, you can do everything that PayPal tells you to do: ship to the confirmed address, have proof of delivery, etc. and you can still get screwed. So, everytime you ship something expensive that was paid for with PayPal, hold onto all your receipts and documentation for MONTHS -- even if you get positive feedback, it doesn't matter - HOLD ONTO THE DOCUMENTATION!

Regarding PayPal bank transfers, they are safer because the money is debited from a bank account. This type of transaction doesn't have the credit card float period, so fraud would be detected right away. Plus, PayPal would immediately be able to tell if the bank account was fraudulent or not... the money is either there or it's not. A bank transaction is not based on "credit" and billing cycles like a credit card transaction.

Zip,

Good points as I will insist that Paypal not be used with a credit card going forward (perhaps on rare occassions if the buyer is a forum members and make a speical request). Also, I always keep email correspondence between buyers but I'm going to print off the EBay feedback and keep it filed away. thumbsup2.gif